C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help with a VIN # if its allowed ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 06:35 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default I need help with a VIN # if its allowed ?

I'm buying a new/used engine for my 05 Vette, & the shop wants to know if its from an Automatic or a Stick car as the engines are different..

Both are 6.2 but the Auto engine has some kind if fuel shut off to save gas.. but the stickshift car is a true LS3 the auto engine is "I THINK" an L99 ??

Here is the vin # I don't want any personal information all I need to know is if the car it came in is a Automatic or a Stick car...

I do know it was a 2013 Camaro out of Texas....& was on fire...

the vin is 2G1FT1EWXD9169306 Can someone tell me if this car is Auto or Stick...

thanks... jpee
Old 08-14-2013, 06:49 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2013 Camero SS, MN6 6 Speed manual. RPO LS3 engine. Branded Junk title.

Last edited by calemasters; 08-14-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:20 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

If you click on the VIN you posted it will provide a link to decipher the VIN
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/vind...FT1EWXD9169306

Also, an LS3 is an LS3, an L99 is a 6.2L as well ,but it's not called an LS3 due to added features. Although they share many of the same parts, the difference is the Active Fuel Management (AFM), which is cylinder deactivation through the lifters and Variable Valve Timing (VVT) on the L99. So of course the cam is different. An L99 is easily converted to an LS3.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:25 PM
jpee
Race Director

Originally Posted by calemasters
2013 Camaro SS, MN6 6 Speed manual. RPO LS3 engine. Branded Junk title.
Thannnnnnnnnk Youuuuuuuuuu

Your sure its 6 speed MANUAL and NOT a 6 speed Auto.. reason for my worry is the shop said the 6 Auto engine is not an LS3 but a L99 one that runs on 4 cyl to save gas ... and the MANUAL 6 speed has a "normal" LS3

I plan on putting in a Chevy HP cam.. I know its on the mild side & am hoping I can get by with GM springs.. and not have to change push rods...

but I just want a little more to be able to run 11.50 in the heat of summer...
Appreciate you help...
Old 08-14-2013, 07:33 PM
jpee
Race Director

Originally Posted by glenB
If you click on the VIN you posted it will provide a link to decipher the VIN
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/vind...FT1EWXD9169306

Also, an LS3 is an LS3, an L99 is a 6.2L as well ,but it's not called an LS3 due to added features. Although they share many of the same parts, the difference is the Active Fuel Management (AFM), which is cylinder deactivation through the lifters and Variable Valve Timing (VVT) on the L99. So of course the cam is different. An L99 is easily converted to an LS3.
Thank you also... I'm going through hell (mentally) as I just installed the FAST102 on the car and they were dynoing it for the new intake.. & I'm sure you've seen the posted video of it blowing up..

The FAST is fine it just threw a rod through the side of the block..about a 6"x6" hole...I bought the above mentioned engine, and want to put a small cam in it but I want it to idle close to normal so when I sell the car it idle wont scare away prospective buyers.. or if I trade it in the dealership won't go bonkers with a "choppy' idle...

PS I was thinking I should look REAL CLOSE at any plastic parts on the engine to see if the fire got to it.. I know the car had a fire...

Last edited by jpee; 08-14-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:48 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Based on the VIN, the transmission is an MN6. The engine is an LS3. Therefore the VIN, is a 2013 Camareo SS with an LS3 engine and a 6 speed manual transmission. The Camaro SS comes with an LS3 with an automatic 6 speed or an LS3 with a manual 6 speed. Either way, it is and LS3.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:55 PM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard you want to be careful of an engine that has been burned. If it has had much external heat, it's got problems.

If the engine has cylinder de-activation wouldn't it have a lot of different wiring, compared to a 2005?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:32 PM
jpee
Race Director

Originally Posted by bolivar
I've heard you want to be careful of an engine that has been burned. If it has had much external heat, it's got problems.

If the engine has cylinder de-activation wouldn't it have a lot of different wiring, compared to a 2005?

If the engine has cylinder de-activation wouldn't it have a lot of different wiring, compared to a 2005?[/QUOTE]

That is exactly one of the reasons I want to be sure the motor I'm getting came out of a manual car...

As for a cam, I'm trying to save a few $$ if it were JUST a cam it would be about $300 ... but add the springs, push-rods, keepers, and it starts to get past my limit..

I'd like a cam that will give me 1-2 tenths, but NOT have a very "choppy" idle so in the future I sell the car I won't have to switch cams .. NO dealership would give me anything close to what the car is worth if its "cammed" or if I were to sell it private I'd need a buyer who understands why it has a rough idle, and WANTS a cammed car...

I wouldn't ever try to sell it to some person who didn't understand why it has a rough idle... I know there ARE cams out there that wont shake your fillings lose at every stop light.. & they will STILL give me that little EXTRA at the track... I just don't know enough about cams

I know I DON'T want a 112 as that will be very choppy idle, but a 115 or 116 will smooth it out BUT will I still get power ????

Get notified of new replies

To I need help with a VIN # if its allowed ?

Quick Reply: I need help with a VIN # if its allowed ?