C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long distance purchasing...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:32 PM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

There are services out there that will inspect a vehicle for you and give you a report for a fee. One that I know of is called "Road Ready Certified". I think they charge around $300 and will send an inspector out to look at the car, take it for a short test drive and take photos for you. Might be worth a shot if you are really interested. Look them up on-line and see if it would apply in your situation.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Nonpoint
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that salty bastard in PA is out of the running :P

The local one I'm looking at '10 c6 20k 1lt, is giving me grief. Dealers got it at 33988 w/ our crappy sales tax and dealer fees it is 37291, offered 36000 today but he won't call me back, stubborn bastard.

They've already had to lower the price twice. Trying to stop myself from offering a little more tomorrow and the next day etc until I'm at his damn price anyway. But I'm all excited because it would be my first vette and I'm stuck on the arctic white w/ a ls3, of which it is the only one for sale anywhere around me that I can find right now.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nonpoint
The local one I'm looking at '10 c6 20k 1lt, is giving me grief. Dealers got it at 33988...
If you are willing to pay almost $34K for a 3 year old 1LT with 20K miles, you are fairly close to NEW 1LT territory. Check out THIS thread. For a few more grand, you could be in a new car with full warranty...and it would be a little cheaper to finance.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:18 PM
Nonpoint
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
If you are willing to pay almost $34K for a 3 year old 1LT with 20K miles, you are fairly close to NEW 1LT territory. Check out THIS thread. For a few more grand, you could be in a new car with full warranty...and it would be a little cheaper to finance.
Nice, thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I wouldn't get the 3k loyalty discount and I still have that awesome 8.75% sales tax to register it in IL. But thats still not too far away.

To be fair most of the 3 year old 1lt's I see online, even with way more than 20k miles are upwards of 34k and finding a white one sucks
Old 08-12-2013, 11:27 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Bought mine 1,000 mi away here on the forum from someone with several years history in the forum and everything went perfectly.

Lots of good advise above.

Ask a forum member to take a first look.

Setup for a wire transfer is also good advise.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Nonpoint
Intermediate

Well I might feel like a dumbass...based on the vin and the vin decoder site it is a 2lt...first 5 of the vin are 1G1YF
Old 08-13-2013, 01:04 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Nonpoint
Well that salty bastard in PA is out of the running :P

The local one I'm looking at '10 c6 20k 1lt, is giving me grief. Dealers got it at 33988 w/ our crappy sales tax and dealer fees it is 37291, offered 36000 today but he won't call me back, stubborn bastard.

They've already had to lower the price twice. Trying to stop myself from offering a little more tomorrow and the next day etc until I'm at his damn price anyway. But I'm all excited because it would be my first vette and I'm stuck on the arctic white w/ a ls3, of which it is the only one for sale anywhere around me that I can find right now.
I bought my '10 a few months ago as a 3LT (+nav/NPP/PAL/etc.) with less mileage than that for 38K. Keep looking. Then again it was out of season (still near winter)
Old 08-13-2013, 01:43 AM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Flew 600 miles to buy my vette. Nothing at all wrong with buying a Corvette located somewhere else in the United States. Just make sure that if you do so, that you are willing to fly back if it's not what you expected. Never EVER EVER buy a vette (or any car for that matter) without first seeing it in person.

I learned this one the hard way back in 2008 when I had 2006 Mazdaspeed6 shipped from a Florida dealership based solely on pictures and the dealers information and word. Gobs of issues. 12k miles and it had 3 different brands of tires on it, battery was dead when it arrived, one of the windshield wipers wasnt attached properly and snapped off on initial use, an aftermarket sound system and amplifier had previously been installed and when they took it out someone did an awful job putting the trim back as fitment was horrible and screws were missing. A year and 5k miles later, it needed a new $6000 transmission. And i paid top dollar for that every-option model. Lesson learned.

Never again gonna buy another car until i sit in it myself.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:14 AM
fright88
Safety Car

I bought both of my C6's long distance. My 06 was one a forum member was trading in and let me know about. Car was in Louisville and I live in CO. Worked out the specifics with the dealership and drove out my 04 and drove home my 06. Only small hiccup was I was told not having the title in hand would be no problem (I had already paid off the 04 just hadn't gotten it yet). In the end I financed the trade amount and sales guy flew out to pick up the title and hand me a check for the trade value when I got the title and the 2 weeks worth interist on the trade value. They even footed the airfare. They also paid to have the second roof shipped to me even though I offered to pay that. Those 2 extra costs didn't change the deal a dime.

I just bought my 08 from a dealership in UT 450 miles away. On this one the dealer drove it out to me for an additional 500 over purchase price. There were a couple hiccups concerning what warrenty the car was going to come with (I thought they had certified it and were going to sell me GMPP turns out there was some mis-communication there) Although in the end they dropped the price another 1400 bucks because of the confusion. So far everything is good. The only thing that could go wrong now is if they do a bait and switch to me on the financing.

All that being said I would have no issue buying another car out of state especialy if I supplied my own financing. Just be warned if it is a dealership that doesn't do a lot of long distance sales or if the salesman you are working with doesn't make you consider the little things. While an in state dealership will usually take a personal check out of state usually wants some form of verified funds for deposit ect. Remember to bring your title if your trade is paid off. And again if you can find your own financing so they can't bait and switch that on you.

Good luck with your search hope you find your car soon!

Quick Reply: Long distance purchasing...