C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old People And Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:13 PM
mikecamp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Old People And Corvettes

Today I overheard a young person tell his friend that he hoped he doesn't have to wait till he's my age to get a Vette. I am getting really tired of peoples comments about be being old and owning a Corvette. I have been a Corvette fan all my life but I put my family and bills before the Corvette. I have three fantastic kids and three love of my life grand kids. None of them have had to do without anything because I put a Vette first and that's why I waited until now to get one. I wasn't born with a silver spoon ........... like some people and I had to work my but off to raise a family and pay bills. Now that they are grown I can do something for me, it just so happens that I'm now old but I don't regret a single second of waiting by putting my family first.

Last edited by johnodrake; 08-11-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:17 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Define old.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:18 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I hear you bro. And you live near enough to me for me to really hear you.

I didn't have one when I was younger not so much because of the expense, but having kids and a two seat sports car just don't mix, unless you have another car to carry them around in. I had a couple of sporty cars, but all had a back seat (Mitsubishi 3000GT and a Nissan 240X).

Actually, "old man" comments don't bother me. I feel young, and as long as I can "fall in and crawl out" of a Corvette, I'll have one.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:19 PM
mikecamp
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '12

Maybe I should have said older.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:21 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

For many reasons and you identified a few, people have to or choose to wait until they are "older" to experience their first Vette.
You have it now, so enjoy it and let the good times roll.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:22 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

People need to do what I did. Marry a hot girl that makes a ton of money and will buy you any car you want. I guess my time in the gym payed off better than 4 years of college...
Old 08-11-2013, 02:23 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I started driving vettes when I was twenty. now in my forties, I still do. I listen to "oldies radio" as my vette radio wont get anything else.....
Old 08-11-2013, 02:27 PM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by speedraider
People need to do what I did. Marry a hot girl that makes a ton of money and will buy you any car you want. I guess my time in the gym payed off better than 4 years of college...
I would add a third quality....make sure she is 12 years younger than you. Those three qualities describe my situation perfectly.

BJK

Last edited by 07MontRedcp; 08-11-2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Clarification
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Old is nothing more a state of mind! Youth has a way of acting/being dumb and uneducated at times.
Bradl1982
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

This sounds like an old man rant to me.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:29 PM
besz28
Pro

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
I hear you bro. And you live near enough to me for me to really hear you.

I didn't have one when I was younger not so much because of the expense, but having kids and a two seat sports car just don't mix, unless you have another car to carry them around in. I had a couple of sporty cars, but all had a back seat (Mitsubishi 3000GT and a Nissan 240X).

Actually, "old man" comments don't bother me. I feel young, and as long as I can "fall in and crawl out" of a Corvette, I'll have one.
Its not the age its the old attitude and mentality most corvette owners have. If your 95 and own a corvette thats awesome, its these old guys who are so quick to judge others that needs to go away.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by mikecamp
Today I overheard a young person tell his friend that he hoped he doesn't have to wait till he's my age to get a Vette. I am getting really tired of peoples comments about be being old and owning a Corvette. I have been a Corvette fan all my life but I put my family and bills before the Corvette. I have three fantastic kids and three love of my life grand kids. None of them have had to do without anything because I put a Vette first and that's why I waited until now to get one. I wasn't born with a silver spoon stuck up my a$$ like some people and I had to work my but off to raise a family and pay bills. Now that they are grown I can do something for me, it just so happens that I'm now old but I don't regret a single second of waiting by putting my family first.

Well said. I'm in the same boat having paid everything off and being able to pay kids college etc. I often wonder what strangers think of me driving my new GS. I doubt they are thinking "hey there's a guy who has worked most weekends, holidays, crazy hours, supported his wife and kids most of his adult life and can finally drive the car he wanted decades ago".

But every experience I've had with people has been a positive one, like gas stations etc.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:31 PM
BillH2121
Pro

I just turned 60. Do I like it? No, but it is what it is! I'm still an active lawyer, I play drums in a classic rock band, and I play tennis 4-5 times a week and can still beat guys half my age. Yeah, I'm old in the eyes of a lot of 20-year oldsbut I'm not sitting in a rocking chair at a nursing home like some of these kids think. I had a vette when I was 28 and I plan to have one (or some other sports car) when I die. I hope those young guys don't have to wait til their "old" to own a vette, but maybe they'll appreciate a vette more if they have to wait and sacrifice a little to get one. Good luck to them'

Last edited by BillH2121; 08-11-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:33 PM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I may grow old.
I will never grow up

USAF
Old 08-11-2013, 02:36 PM
nous defions
Pro

Originally Posted by mikecamp
I wasn't born with a silver spoon stuck up my a$$ like some people and I had to work my but off to raise a family and pay bills.
A lot of people that were raised in families replete with resources also work. My dad was born an orphan and made himself rich. As my father, he made sure I understood how wealth is created. I worked from the age of 10 in the family business. The family business entailed working more than average hours whenever I was not in school, or studying for school. No summer breaks, no time to play with the kids outside. It is well known in the family that he was plenty upset when I chose the profession I did (at first, anyway).

The idea that the "rich" don't work, or don't work hard, may fit the current narrative of the "evil rich", but it is hardly even true. Are there a***oles among the rich, sure. But, are there not any in any other socio-economic strata?

That aside, it is pretty awesome that you enjoy your Corvette as much as I do; it is an amazing vehicle.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:45 PM
gguillie
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Beertender,

A couple of cold ones for us "old" guys.

I drive a 60th Anniversary GS 4LT Vert, have a great wife, super kids and grand kids, stable and good-paying job, nice home, and reasonably good health. Getting old is such a bummer.

GPG
Old 08-11-2013, 02:47 PM
BillH2121
Pro

Originally Posted by USAF
I may grow old.
I will never grow up

USAF
^^^^^^Lets all agree to get this phrase tattooed on our old, wrinkly skin!!

Get notified of new replies

To Old People And Corvettes

Old 08-11-2013, 02:48 PM
nous defions
Pro

Originally Posted by gguillie
Beertender,

A couple of cold ones for us "old" guys.

I drive a 60th Anniversary GS 4LT Vert, have a great wife, super kids and grand kids, stable and good-paying job, nice home, and reasonably good health. Getting old is such a bummer.

GPG
"Youth is wasted on the young."

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-11-2013, 02:49 PM
bigcat35
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I myself have been a huge Corvette fan for as long as I can remember. I have been to the Corvette factory and museum several times. I always said when I get older I will get myself a Corvette. I am 26 now and I own my first Corvette, but when I first went to the factory when I was 9 or 10 I would have considered 26 old and a long ways off. I have worked very hard and extremely proud when I was able to purchase my first Corvette! I am married and have a daughter so I understand sacrifices it takes to make a big purchase like a Corvette. But I could not be happier with my Vette
Old 08-11-2013, 02:50 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by nous defions
A lot of people that were raised in families replete with resources also work. My dad was born an orphan and made himself rich. As my father, he made sure I understood how wealth is created. The idea that the "rich" don't work, or don't work hard, may fit the current narrative of the "evil rich", but it is hardly even true. Are there a***oles among the rich, sure. But, are there not any in any other socio-economic strata?
Wealth comes in all forms and again can also be a state of mind. What is wealthy to some could be considered poor to others.

Quick Reply: Old People And Corvettes