C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old People And Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

For most Corvette lovers, they bought their first one when 2 things happened in their lives:
'
1. They could afford it.
2. It was practical for their family.

For me, it was when my 4 sons graduated from college.

First Vette... I was 55. I'm now on #3.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:40 PM
68 BB 396
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Family first

Originally Posted by Luster
For most Corvette lovers, they bought their first one when 2 things happened in their lives:
'
1. They could afford it.

Same here. Three daughters graduated from college and all three married. Finally got mine at age 48. Wanted one since around 12. Maybe my three sons graduate I can get a new one.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 68 BB 396
Same here. Three daughters graduated from college and all three married. Finally got mine at age 48. Wanted one since around 12. Maybe my three sons graduate I can get a new one.
Haha... yup, family comes first!
Old 08-13-2013, 06:46 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Luster
'
1. They could afford it.

Had my first (66 Roadster) at 19. Sold it 4 years later when family started arriving.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Dans C6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Currently I am 31 years old, I have owned 2 C6's. Traded the last one in 2 years ago for the wife's new 2011 Traverse. She needed more room for my daughter's stuff apparently. So I am vette less for now, but one day I see myself in a C7.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:26 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by flange
I started driving vettes when I was twenty. now in my forties, I still do. I listen to "oldies radio" as my vette radio wont get anything else.....
I laugh when I hear the Corvette/mid-life crisis comments. By the time I was 20, I had already owned 2 Corvettes. By 30 it was 6 and at 58, I just sold #16 and am looking for #17. My whole like has been a mid-life crisis starting when I was 18. I still have #2 in my avatar

Last edited by 1snake; 08-13-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:45 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I really don't care if a youngster can afford a new Corvette, or not, and in my house, I'm the only one that matters as I'm the one paying for them(3).

If someone can afford a Corvette, then it's their business if that's how they decide to spend their money, not mine, thus they shouldn't be concerned about what kind of car I spend my money on. Age 25 or 75, doesn't matter to me.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

I look on Red as one of the crowning achievements of a full life. Got my degree. Paid off the mortgage. Kids are grown and thru college. So the boss said "OK".
Old 08-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Kimo-C6
Cruising

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I really don't care if a youngster can afford a new Corvette, or not, and in my house, I'm the only one that matters as I'm the one paying for them(3).

If someone can afford a Corvette, then it's their business if that's how they decide to spend their money, not mine, thus they shouldn't be concerned about what kind of car I spend my money on. Age 25 or 75, doesn't matter to me.
Loosen up...young lad...you sound dispassionate
Never the less, I like your post...right to the point
Old 08-13-2013, 08:59 PM
Kimo-C6
Cruising

Originally Posted by mikecamp
Today I overheard a young person tell his friend that he hoped he doesn't have to wait till he's my age to get a Vette. I am getting really tired of peoples comments about be being old and owning a Corvette. I have been a Corvette fan all my life but I put my family and bills before the Corvette. I have three fantastic kids and three love of my life grand kids. None of them have had to do without anything because I put a Vette first and that's why I waited until now to get one. I wasn't born with a silver spoon ........... like some people and I had to work my but off to raise a family and pay bills. Now that they are grown I can do something for me, it just so happens that I'm now old but I don't regret a single second of waiting by putting my family first.
Oh hell No! I will beat that young punk A@s to the ground! And make him bleed…quietly, and leave him there…

Seriously, I’ve been expressing rather similar assertion to my wife/friends for some time now and that is; I’m not going to wait until I’m old like these people (Pointing at the group of senior citizens enjoying themselves at the RV camp site) to get a RV.

Look, most young people don’t have that kind of dough available to buy a Corvette, let alone even have an old beater vehicle to drive. Excluding any young lad whose family is very well-off, most of us have devoted great deal of sacrifice to get where we are today; career military for many, (25 years retired AF myself) and still working for the government, and various career for others who also have worked very hard and sacrificed big chunk of their lives to save a little…

...And as a reward, “Young boys and girls…some of us procured yes, a Corvette”…Procured means; and it’s a Verb; obtained, acquired, bought, gained, attained…

Surely you don’t have to be old to get “ANYTHING” if you have the funds to get it. However, for some of us, it is what it is…Therefore, I couldn’t care less what any young pubescent has to say about my age, or convey that I’m old?…I tell you what, I’m enjoying my fruits of labor and these youngsters are envious. Besides, I can still whip that young punk @ss!... Enough said.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:27 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,480 Likes on 2,818 Posts

Originally Posted by noz34me
You don't mention how exactly you were able to "swing" your Vette. I would like to know. My wife and I both worked above average jobs for years, (and still do) but it wasn't until the kids were out of college (yes we paid for that) and off our payroll that we could think of a Vette.
Pretty simple really.

Worked my way through college (nobody paid for mine so I gave a crap and worked my *** off to get a degree I probably wasn't really smart enough for), so kept the student loans to a minimum. Bought a vehicle that turned out to be really reliable during school, so when I got out of school I had a paid for vehicle that works great as a DD.

Got a pretty good job, don't spend money on cigarettes, drugs, or alcohol and don't really go out to eat a lot. Put money away every month, make student loan payments (could pay them off, but with as little credit history as I have, giving them their money is long term a better option). Don't have kids, nor do I desire to any time soon (gf is in Pharmacy school anyways, so it just ain't gonna happen).

A lot of my friends around my age at work throw money away into going drinking lots of nights. They drive beater cars that need repairs all the time but think nothing of spending $75 a night on drinks.

If I had kids, I wouldn't have a Vette. That's why I got it now, I recognize that my father wasn't able to have sports cars until he was 55 after he had kids, and I didn't want to have to wait until then to have a sports car.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:45 PM
noz34me
Pro

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Pretty simple really.

Worked my way through college (nobody paid for mine so I gave a crap and worked my *** off to get a degree I probably wasn't really smart enough for), so kept the student loans to a minimum. Bought a vehicle that turned out to be really reliable during school, so when I got out of school I had a paid for vehicle that works great as a DD.

Got a pretty good job, don't spend money on cigarettes, drugs, or alcohol and don't really go out to eat a lot. Put money away every month, make student loan payments (could pay them off, but with as little credit history as I have, giving them their money is long term a better option). Don't have kids, nor do I desire to any time soon (gf is in Pharmacy school anyways, so it just ain't gonna happen).

A lot of my friends around my age at work throw money away into going drinking lots of nights. They drive beater cars that need repairs all the time but think nothing of spending $75 a night on drinks.

If I had kids, I wouldn't have a Vette. That's why I got it now, I recognize that my father wasn't able to have sports cars until he was 55 after he had kids, and I didn't want to have to wait until then to have a sports car.
That makes sense; just realize that once you do get married, want a home, want kids, your priorities may shift.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:48 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by noz34me
That makes sense; just realize that once you do get married, want a home, want kids, your priorities may shift.
Sometimes.....but even with kids, if you want to own a corvette, you can own a corvette. No matter what the age of you or your kids.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:57 PM
noz34me
Pro

Originally Posted by LFZ
Sometimes.....but even with kids, if you want to own a corvette, you can own a corvette. No matter what the age of you or your kids.
Good luck with it- - you may be surprised what kids cost; what it takes to save for college- -what it takes to save for retirement, unless you are one of the lucky few young guys that is going to have a pension- - - it's a different time out there now than the benefits many of us took for granted back in the day. Pensions, healthcare, both programs have been pretty well decimated, along with the middle class.

End of rant, excepting my username, noz34me came from back many years ago I wanted a BMW Z3. Wife said no and we compromised on a Miata. My license plate was NOZ34ME. NO Z3 4 ME. It's stuck with me, even though now I have a Challenger, a Miata, and a Vette. Good times.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:37 PM
Orange05_C6
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly I always thought they were old guys cars. Thought they were slow. I only saw older guys driving them. I was a misinformed youngster. I got a good job in the fall after high school. Then I turned 20 in the fall and then decided in the spring I wanted a sports car. Started saving my money and sold my sweet first car and a lifted 97 tj jeep w/ 35s cause I didn't like it. Was looking at what to get and finally decided why not look into a C6 and was like, man they look better than I thought and was even more surprised when I saw they had a big ol 6.0L v8 and was completely different that I thought. I found the one I wanted, 05 DSMO, All options, lexan roof, 11k miles, Z51 Package, nav, ect... wasn't 100% on spending that much. Took her for a drive right before handing the money over and I was sold! Thinking this is definitely not just some old dudes car! I love this thing and anyone who says its an old guys car, they go for a ride and they get a nice surprise. I always have my 14 year old nephews friends always getting all googly eyed and come over when I come around.

Now that being said, people are always going to think they are old guy cars cause most younger people can't afford them. I just got lucky and got a good job and still live at home at almost 22 now (due to my job, its just a lot better for me to stay at home till i can buy a house, renting is pointless for me) so i figured, why not get things like a nice car now before i have a mortgage cause i wouldn't get one then :cheers
Old 08-13-2013, 10:57 PM
mkakias
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Wiser too!!!!

I think all of us old guys busted our butts to raise our kids and give them more than we had! Just paid of 4 years of college,( cash by the way).. Son got a great job out of college. So why not treat myself!!!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:33 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I bought mine as a gift to myself. I bought mine at 29 earlier this year after wrapping up residency. 8 years of sacrifice and got the car I wanted in the end. No baggage to worry about yet so I said screw it. You only live young once.

Get notified of new replies

To Old People And Corvettes

Old 08-14-2013, 01:27 AM
elizavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigwoofersnet
I took the opposite approach, I wanted to get the Corvette out of the way because I have less responsibilities (single). If my situation changes, and I have to move on and sell it I will have had plenty of time to have fun and enjoy the car. I'm 30, my only regret is not buying it sooner. You only live once, screw it.
Right on I bought mine earlier this year when I was still 26 and because I dont have kids or a man to hold me back from doing whatever my little heart desires I have a great job and I said why the f**k not. By the time i settle down and marry some fool I can change it up to something with more than 2 seats and or doors. In the meantime I can enjoy my 20's.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:39 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by mikecamp
Today I overheard a young person tell his friend that he hoped he doesn't have to wait till he's my age to get a Vette. I am getting really tired of peoples comments about be being old and owning a Corvette. I have been a Corvette fan all my life but I put my family and bills before the Corvette. I have three fantastic kids and three love of my life grand kids. None of them have had to do without anything because I put a Vette first and that's why I waited until now to get one. I wasn't born with a silver spoon ........... like some people and I had to work my but off to raise a family and pay bills. Now that they are grown I can do something for me, it just so happens that I'm now old but I don't regret a single second of waiting by putting my family first.
I didn't have one after my 1973 because it was a huge pooch!
then I waited till the C-5Z. Yes the regular C-5 was not much either.
C-6 is a better car!
Old 08-14-2013, 04:06 AM
EvoXvette
Advanced

Damm reading this coments is crazy! Why do you all pay for your kids college? I might have a different perspective now ( I'm 24) and it might chance but I really don't plan on paying for it. I payed my own, why can't they work and pay it off just like i did. Anyways, can't wait to join the vette family!

Quick Reply: Old People And Corvettes