C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheard at the local car show last night....

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had some one come up to me and ask what year my 427 was. I told him 2013. He replayed that he thought the new body style wasn't going to come out until 2014.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Nueboch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on a road trip in fly over America and stopped at a local small town restaurant. Two elderly ladies, very nice, asked what kind of car it was, I told them it was a Chevy. Their reply, didn't know Chevy made a car that pretty. I told them it was Chevrolet's Corvette model.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Some people are car enthusiasts, some are not.
This about sums it up.

My wife will look at a clean, shiny, well maintained C5, and think it's the same as my '13 GS.

Just last night my neighbor told me that his son was going to buy a Corvette, but decided on a Z06 instead.

Ya just gotta smile, and say, uh huh.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:34 AM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Just a small rant. We here on the Forum are obviously vette people. Many people who frequent car show, especially shows that are not specific to vettes, may just like cars in general and are not experts on any brand. They just like cars and want to enjoy viewing them. Why can't we just accept them for what they are and not make fun of them. I do not consider them "dumb". They are at the show admiring the cars. What's wrong with that?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by 2vette2
Just a small rant. We here on the Forum are obviously vette people. Many people who frequent car show, especially shows that are not specific to vettes, may just like cars in general and are not experts on any brand. They just like cars and want to enjoy viewing them. Why can't we just accept them for what they are and not make fun of them. I do not consider them "dumb". They are at the show admiring the cars. What's wrong with that?
I have seen more Vette owners there with their cars telling tales than spectators.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Sorry, but I would respectfully suggest, that you leave these forums, and never return.

Apparently, you do not yet understand, that logic has no place on an Internetz forum.

Last edited by Hameister; 08-09-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:39 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

I'll be the first to admit, once I move outside the C6 lineup, I dont know crap about specifics on much of anything else...
Old 08-09-2013, 10:48 AM
GM'er
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Hey, I wasn't making fun of anyone. There is a difference in calling someone dumb vs ignorant. I was just pointing out that with how much all of us know about these cars, there this is a great big world out there that doesn't share our enthusiasm.

You could line up a row of cars from the 40's and 50's and I would probably be just as clueless.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:52 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 823 Likes on 392 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

When I have someone ask me about y car and they are not well informed I try and explain the difference in the generations so they do understand. To simply have them ask a question and then they respond to your answer such as I did not think the new body style was out yet, or is that a Viper. If we don't take the time to explain they will continue to make the same statements.
What gets me are the owners of different cars that will sit there and tell you about their car, and you know they have no idea what they are taking about. There is this one guy that comes to a local cruise in with a '69 BB L71. The first time I met him, I asked him about the rear wheel flares and he stood there and told me that his car was a factory race car. The flares came with the car, but not installed, they were simply on the passengers seat with instructions on how to install them. He then goes on to say that his is a very rare car and he has all the documentation on it. He then proceeds to show me this book with these typed pages. I asked where he got it an he tells me he typed it up.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:13 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

You are correct most people do not know one model car from another. I have had many people ask me if my base coupe is a GS or a Z06. But most of them do appreciate nice cars.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Sativa
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by carl3989
What I usually get: "Is that a Z06?"
I get this alot, and I only have a coupe! Some people have no clue...
Old 08-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

You are either a car nut or you aren't! We have owned Corvettes since 2001 and when the wife and I are out cruising she will still say, "Look, another Vette", only to remind her it was a Camaro.

Last edited by Snowwolfe; 08-09-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:44 AM
geewez
Melting Slicks

Received 229 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by noz34me
Haven't had anybody not know what my Vette is, but try owning a Challenger. Most people call it a Charger, but it's been called a Camaro, a Mustang, it's amazing.

I've gotten to the point I don't even correct them anymore. When they say it's a beautiful Camaro, I just say thanks, it's a lot of fun.
I too don't try to correct them anymore when they call my Challenger a Charger. Had a woman ask me once if I think Chevy will ever make a four door Corvette.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:48 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

A good friend of mine has a C5 (98 I think) nicely modded , lowered etc.. blower... occasionally when he is out and about people will say .wow nice car...what is that a 2010?

I had a guy the other day at the Gas station ask me if my car (07 Z) was the "new vette" that just came out..C7 I politely thanked him (He said my car was gorgeous) and corrected him and let him know the C7 is not out just yet
Old 08-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Bendog
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 08-09-2013, 11:55 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
It amazes me what you hear at car shows sometimes......
Old 08-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
You are either a cut nut or you aren't! We have owned Corvettes since 2001 and when the wife and I are out cruising she will still say, "Look, another Vette", only to remind her it was a Camaro.
Funny, I never figured you for a cut nut!

Get notified of new replies

To Overheard at the local car show last night....

Old 08-09-2013, 01:03 PM
noz34me
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, you are 100% right. We take a lot for granted. To most people, a car is a car; something to get from point A to point B.

The fact that they like any car we own enough to try and compliment us should be taken exactly as that. A compliment. That's how I try to spin it anyway.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,030 Posts

This is so funny as I went to our local 1/8th mile drag strip last night. The first couple of guys walked up to me and asked if my car was a 2014? I said no, of course, and that it was a 2011. One guy looked at the other like hey we KNOW he's lying. Then another couple or 3 guys walked up while I'm cooling down between rounds with the hood open and you can clearly see the Edelbrock and SUPERCHARGED on the engine and they say, "so it's all stock" right? So then I pointed them to the supercharger, headers and told them of the hi flo cats and they said "Oh we thought ALL these cars had this done to them". At first I thought it sad, but on reflection I guess it's kinda funny, but yes we all get to thinking that everyone knows Corvettes when it just aint so.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:22 PM
mnmthoele
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Well said. Never confuse uneducated with dumb. I am pretty certain there is no one on this forum that knows everything about everything. Instead of treating someone like they are dumb, why not try to educate them in the intricacies of Corvettes. The dumb person is the one whom thinks they cannot learn something new. Not implying that statement describes anyone.

Quick Reply: Overheard at the local car show last night....