C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change (A bit long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 07:43 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,121 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by tomringo
I never trusted the quick lubes. If you can't or won't do it yourself, take it to some place, dealer or shop, that has tech's who know what there doing and you know they know what they're doing. Some of those quick lube places employe people who couldn't pour **** out of a boot if the directions were written on the bottom of it. Scary
I have had three separate bad experiences with them and it is due to their laziness and/or incompetence.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:41 AM
dmad1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife's '12 Tahoe recently began to drip around the filter. It is a certified used car with free oil changes and I found it interesting also that at one dealer they said to change it when the indicator read 15% and another one said 25%. I let it go to long and it was down to almost nothing left and the car had 6,000 miles since the last change. It calls for the Dexos Synthetic Blend.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:51 AM
o_town_racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a horror story from getting an oil change on my RX-8. The techs fill from a line with an auto-shut off after a set amount of oil has been deposited - the auto-shut off didn't work. Oil EVERYWHERE in the engine bay. They tried cleaning/power-washing. I took it home and it smoked badly from the hood the whole way and stunk to high heaven of burning oil. Took it back and they cleaned again. This time it was better, still slight smoke & smell, but that was gone in a couple days and they DID offer me a free change (which I used). Accidents to happen and as long as the vendor is willing to make good, I'll give them the chance. I have always had good service from that dealer before and since.

No issues w/the GS yet. Have to be careful w/the dry sump oil system as not all shops know the proper procedure. My first change @ the dealership was gratis. They thought I bought the car from them because it was the Vette's first oil change. When I told them it was bought elsewhere - they just smiled and said "enjoy the car". They have also handled a couple in-warranty issues very well. I'll be going back to Carl Black.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:29 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RICH 28
Why is it only on its third oil change? Even if they gave you the next oil change for free I would not take it. Go some place else or DIY. Too many horror stories for a simple oil change out there.

On ALL points.
Learn to do it yourself.
Easy, inexpensive, therapeutic, and it will be done RIGHT.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 682 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by dmad1
My wife's '12 Tahoe recently began to drip around the filter. It is a certified used car with free oil changes and I found it interesting also that at one dealer they said to change it when the indicator read 15% and another one said 25%. I let it go to long and it was down to almost nothing left and the car had 6,000 miles since the last change. It calls for the Dexos Synthetic Blend.
dmad1,

Sorry to hear about the drip around the oil filter on your wife's Tahoe. Is your dealership checking into this for you already?

Sarah (Assisting Kelly)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-11-2013, 06:39 PM
dmad1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had it in for oil change and asked them to check it for leaks. She picked it up and nothing was said about it. There was no mention of a leak on the repair sheet. I will check it out myself this week. Thanks for the interest.

Quick Reply: Oil change (A bit long)