C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple problems with the Vette

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 02:19 AM
vik2606
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple problems with the Vette

So after about owning the car for about 2 months now I noticed couple things and wanna see if thats normal.

Whenever I'm doing city driving, the center console and area where the pedals are get pretty hot.

Another thing is that I just noticed yesterday is that when I go over a bump, I sometimes hear little squeak from the back shocks. It doesn't happen always but occasionally.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:21 AM
fright88
Safety Car

Yes the built in beverage warmer is normal.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:34 AM
vik2606
Instructor

Originally Posted by fright88
Yes the built in beverage warmer is normal.
What about the pedal area getting hot to a point where I have to direct the AC to blow down there lol?
Old 07-31-2013, 02:42 AM
fright88
Safety Car

Hmm tough one to answer. But yes I normally kept air flowing to the floor as well. Even so it wasn't abnormal for me to have a sweaty right leg after a long 3+ hour drive.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:53 AM
markmatthews
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i live in socal, and the interior heat is one of the first things i noticed as I purchased the car right at the start of summer last year. just keep a/c on and there shouldn't be any issues, it's not as hot as say a Viper.

I massively researched this issue for a while and there are some stuff you can buy to minimize the interior heat issue - but none seems to really do the job unless you rip apart the interior and dynamat the whole thing.

my car also squeaks in the rear end however I believe mine is due to my exhaust. previous owner installed a Corsa exhaust and there's probably something loose back there. have to check it out sometimes.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:07 AM
vik2606
Instructor

Originally Posted by markmatthews
i live in socal, and the interior heat is one of the first things i noticed as I purchased the car right at the start of summer last year. just keep a/c on and there shouldn't be any issues, it's not as hot as say a Viper.

I massively researched this issue for a while and there are some stuff you can buy to minimize the interior heat issue - but none seems to really do the job unless you rip apart the interior and dynamat the whole thing.

my car also squeaks in the rear end however I believe mine is due to my exhaust. previous owner installed a Corsa exhaust and there's probably something loose back there. have to check it out sometimes.
Yea same here, previous owner installed a corsa xtreme exhaust so it might be just the exhaust
Old 07-31-2013, 05:55 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You don't state what model of suspension you have, but the Z51 suspension does have lube points in the rear.

As to cabin heat, normal. The entire tunnel is not well insulated and transmits to quite a few places. Those who do it very carefully so that electrical connections esp under the two seats are removed and replaced so they work (and there are entire pictorials, step by step on CF; just search from red band above) can choose the insulation from two different kit mfrs. It is placed throughout the cabin---that's under seats, back, firewall, etc. It supposedly acts as a sound deadener to a limited extent, too. I doubt very seriously that the Corsa is adding much, if any, heat since the stock system does very well in that regard.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:05 AM
vik2606
Instructor

Originally Posted by AORoads
You don't state what model of suspension you have, but the Z51 suspension does have lube points in the rear.

As to cabin heat, normal. The entire tunnel is not well insulated and transmits to quite a few places. Those who do it very carefully so that electrical connections esp under the two seats are removed and replaced so they work (and there are entire pictorials, step by step on CF; just search from red band above) can choose the insulation from two different kit mfrs. It is placed throughout the cabin---that's under seats, back, firewall, etc. It supposedly acts as a sound deadener to a limited extent, too. I doubt very seriously that the Corsa is adding much, if any, heat since the stock system does very well in that regard.
Its a base coupe so no z51 suspension. Also I meant the corsa exhaust might be causing that squeaking noise occassionaly, not the heat issue.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:53 AM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Luckily, the previous owner of our `10 GS installed a tunnel plate which helps the interior heat issue greatly. Check with some of the forum vendors (CCA) for tunnel plates.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:02 AM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

There is only one trusty product for eliminating the interior heat from the tunnel. Its called "trade in your C6 for anyother car". That is the ONLY thing that will stop the tunnel from giving you a third degree burn on your right hip/thigh.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:24 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Have fun!

Originally Posted by vik2606
So after about owning the car for about 2 months now I noticed couple things and wanna see if thats normal.

Whenever I'm doing city driving, the center console and area where the pedals are get pretty hot.

Another thing is that I just noticed yesterday is that when I go over a bump, I sometimes hear little squeak from the back shocks. It doesn't happen always but occasionally.
Not necessary the shocks, could be the spring hangers that hold up the exhaust pipes in the rear similar what they use on boat steering systems, also check the exhaust clamp bolts for looseness from the manifo. Also check the mufflers hangers. Note: there could be lots places for noises, Vettes have been known these noises - top and top latches, doors and door shims, window trim, all rubber gaskets, shifters, etc.

PS: Enjoy your coffee cup warmer and console bun warmer storage box!

Last edited by 2006c6keller; 07-31-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:05 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Well....

It is NOT as hot as my C3 Gets on a hot day... you can cook eggs...
Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by vik2606

Cup Holder = Fondue Pot
Console = S'Mores maker

It could be worse, our 1967 small block with factory air (!) had the floorboards get so hot driving the Interstate across Nevada, that my rubber soled shoes would begin to melt into the carpet. Each time I lifted my left foot, it was like ripping Velcro.

Enjoy your car!

Old 07-31-2013, 08:34 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by C6RaceCar
There is only one trusty product for eliminating the interior heat from the tunnel. Its called "trade in your C6 for anyother car". That is the ONLY thing that will stop the tunnel from giving you a third degree burn on your right hip/thigh.
Maybe a s-t-r-e-t-c-h...the 3rd degree part!...the tunnel gets warm, that is a fact....I don't notice as much in my 2012 as I did in the 2009...

Old 08-01-2013, 12:41 AM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Cup Holder = Fondue Pot
Console = S'Mores maker

It could be worse, our 1967 small block with factory air (!) had the floorboards get so hot driving the Interstate across Nevada, that my rubber soled shoes would begin to melt into the carpet. Each time I lifted my left foot, it was like ripping Velcro.

Enjoy your car!

Now that is hot....
Old 08-01-2013, 07:28 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by C6RaceCar
Not true, Elite Engineering's Thermal Abs Tunnel Plate will reduce temperature transfer. Had one on the C5 and it worked quite well.

Get notified of new replies

To Couple problems with the Vette

Quick Reply: Couple problems with the Vette