C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Dam - Splitter and Speed Bumps

Old 07-29-2013, 03:23 PM
jmk
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Air Dam - Splitter and Speed Bumps

I purchased my 427 Collector Edition a short while ago and so far have not encountered a situation that caused either the splitter or air dam to scrape. I use the "Tour" mode a lot to help reduce scraping, which seems to be helping. What I'm wondering about is which part scrapes a speed bump (etc.) first... the splitter or the air dam? Has anyone scraped their splitter on anything that broke it?
Thanks!
Old 07-29-2013, 03:40 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jmk
I purchased my 427 Collector Edition a short while ago and so far have not encountered a situation that caused either the splitter or air dam to scrape. I use the "Tour" mode a lot to help reduce scraping, which seems to be helping. What I'm wondering about is which part scrapes a speed bump (etc.) first... the splitter or the air dam? Has anyone scraped their splitter on anything that broke it?
Thanks!
How does "tour" mode keep you from scraping?

In answer to your question, you can very easily damage your splitter if you pull up too close to a parking bumper.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:11 PM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

For a street driven vette, an air splitter is about as useless as a necktie. The carbon fiber ones (like on my ZR1) are expensive and easy to damage from parking stops, speed bumps, driveway inclines, misc. crap laying on roads. I love the looks, but fear driving with it.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Vettes don't do speed bumps,but hey it's your car! I'm very careful where I drive as far as driveways and inclines. btw the air damn usually scrapes first.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:15 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

My guess is the plastic air dam underneath is what's scraping. If you want to know if the splitter is scraping run your hand underneath the edge of it. If it's rough, it's scraping. If it's still smooth, it's not. Yet.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

It takes quite a high bump or a driveway with a severe dip to hit the small splitter on the Z06. Most of the noise you hear is the air dam which is designed to scrape. Several years ago I was turning into a hotel driveway and was entering at an angle to keep from scraping when a car came the other way. To avoid it I had to make a sharp turn toward the slope just as the front wheels went into the dip between the driveway and the street. The front end scraped hard. When I got out I had torn the splitter and had severely scratched the fascia just above the splitter. The splitter was barely hanging on the car.

Bill
Old 07-29-2013, 07:53 PM
grady
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

I installed the ZR1 splitter on my grand sport a couple weeks back. i was afraid of impacting it too. We have two speed humps on our street. Something like 4 feet wide maybe 4 inches high. I take that slowly and have no issue.

Coming out of my driveway, I have a couple inch drop. I found it actually easier to front out instead of backing out. The air damn seems to have less resistance pushing instead of pulling. The driveway is two cars wide. When I leave, I fortunately only ever have to go left so I pull to the far right and angle the car to the left so the passenger side hits the street first.

I also had it and my side skirts covered with Xpel ultimate clear bra.

I don't think the splitter is any lower than the OEM chin spoiler but it sticks out a little further so it may have a tendency to plow. Also it's not plastic so it won't give like the chin spoiler would.

Just be careful.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:55 PM
ODEN2
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Do yourself a favor!

Get a Curb Alert. Several Forum sponsors sell them and THEY WORK!

They won't stop the scrape of a speed bump but they WILL STOP the dreaded SPLITTER SPLATTER of a parking bumper or curb.

Easy install and real good for peace of mind.

I got mine from Southern Car Parts (GOOD FOLKS), but there are plenty of others, just get one.

charles
Old 07-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Radioman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
My guess is the plastic air dam underneath is what's scraping. If you want to know if the splitter is scraping run your hand underneath the edge of it. If it's rough, it's scraping. If it's still smooth, it's not. Yet.
My '12 GS splitter scrapes in/out of the driveway no matter the angle. Nothing a little work with a piece of 80 grit sandpaper won't smooth out. Eventually I will have sanded be enough it won't scrape anymore. Sure glad it's not carbon fiber, those splinters hurt!
Old 07-30-2013, 01:34 AM
andy82
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat
For a street driven vette, an air splitter is about as useless as a necktie. The carbon fiber ones (like on my ZR1) are expensive and easy to damage from parking stops, speed bumps, driveway inclines, misc. crap laying on roads. I love the looks, but fear driving with it.
I have broken one - Ouch! Eventually it will happen when you least expect it......just saying....

On this one I'm attaching a 16 gauge stainless steel plate underneath, who cares if that et scratched
Old 07-30-2013, 01:55 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarP3C

same question.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:32 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I had mine a week and ruined my splitter,bought a new one and am more carefull now. I have never found a speed bump that effects the splitter,hope I never do.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:00 AM
LPT2011
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grady
I installed the ZR1 splitter on my grand sport a couple weeks back. i was afraid of impacting it too. We have two speed humps on our street. Something like 4 feet wide maybe 4 inches high. I take that slowly and have no issue.

Coming out of my driveway, I have a couple inch drop. I found it actually easier to front out instead of backing out. The air damn seems to have less resistance pushing instead of pulling. The driveway is two cars wide. When I leave, I fortunately only ever have to go left so I pull to the far right and angle the car to the left so the passenger side hits the street first.

I also had it and my side skirts covered with Xpel ultimate clear bra.

I don't think the splitter is any lower than the OEM chin spoiler but it sticks out a little further so it may have a tendency to plow. Also it's not plastic so it won't give like the chin spoiler would.

Just be careful.
The air dam actually bends or "gives" when moving forward ... so it still scrapes but since its "bends" with the scrape it is very hard to hear. When backing up the air dam will not give so the scraping sound is simply awful The standard air dams are 3-piece with those plastic pop rivets holding them together. The pop rivets will break long before the air dam ... I replace those rivets about twice a year
Old 07-30-2013, 01:12 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Default "Sport" mode better for Speed Bumps & Dips

Originally Posted by jmk
Thanks!
I don't have a Z06 front splitter but I daily my GS with MagRide which has a lower stance than 427/Z06's and there are 4 large speed bumps where I live. And so far Sport mode has been better for crossing them because the suspension compresses less. Also when I don't do it right the air damn touches first, I have only hurt my chin at Walgreens because I parked to close to the curb.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:32 PM
jmk
Instructor

Originally Posted by RadarP3C

In answer to your question, you can very easily damage your splitter if you pull up too close to a parking bumper.
You're right - pull up close and what used to be really close is now "crunch"! In the tour mode, the car settles a smidge higher than it does in sport. While it doesn't let me have enough room to drive over speed bumps, it does help some, along with the other speed bump "practices".
Old 07-30-2013, 01:39 PM
jmk
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZR1Cat

From a practical matter, you're right on target. However, it is one of the many other items that are on and in the car that I try to take the best care of I can. I'm figuring that if I ever break it, the cost will be a bunch more than an air dam does, so I'm trying to educate myself and avoid breaking it in the first place. You're spot on - I love the looks and get up tight when I see a speed bump in my path! I go out of my way to go out of my way to drive around the thing! What can you do?!

Last edited by jmk; 07-30-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Air Dam - Splitter and Speed Bumps

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Dam - Splitter and Speed Bumps