C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NO FOBS DETECTED What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:39 AM
thunderglide
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
I don't think it was what you did. The car already had two fobs programmed to it, one of which was missing (why you were given a second, unprogrammed, one), so it took you straight to #3.

It won't hurt to program the new one as #3 if you think there is no chance of the missing fob being used, because it is still good on this car. If you go the long procedure route, it will keep #2 from being recognized ever again on this car.
The seller had a #1 Fob that worked. The #2 Fob was a new one for some reason. It was never programmed. He told me to take it to the dealer and they could do it. Once I read the manual and it showed me how to program it I tried that. But screwed up putting the #1 Fob into the slot instead of the #2 which was what the dash instructions told me to do. So when I put the #1 into the slot the dash read "unknown fob". When I tried to redo the procedure it was waiting for #3. I could never get it to go back to #2.

With that said I wanted the #2 fob for my wife to use since it would work with all the memory seating and set up for a #2. When you go to #3 and or #4 fobs they do not work, according to the manual for memory settings.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:39 PM
clperkins53
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i too have the problem on my 2009 vette, i have to change batteries like thy are going out of style. even bought batteries from dealer and a lot of times my car will say FOB not detected. i carry nothing in my pocket but the fob. have used the otherone and the same thing happens.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:48 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Did you run through the FOB not detected checklist? The RCDLR could be failing. Does the other FOB work in the car?

Elmer
Old 08-04-2014, 06:39 AM
bdeis61159
Heel & Toe

Take the FOBs to the dealer and have them checked fr signal sending. This is usually free. If the signal is non-existent or weak, replace the FOB's. I paid $70 from a delaer in TX. 1-800-650-6261 Huffines Chevrolet. The procedure works perfectly. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:25 PM
bdeis61159
Heel & Toe

OK! Both my FOB's were bad. I bought a new one and followed the long procedure and went absolutely perfectly as the instructions said. I then went and bought a second FOB a couple weeks later. I tried to start the program and the DIC never starts up. I turned the car off, put the drivers window down, opened the glove box, opened the trunk and turned the key 5 times and nothing. I tried multiple times. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:20 PM
JustGoFly
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found that it was hit or miss. Lift the drapes and watch the console as you turn the key. Keep turning until the console shows your in the FOB mode. I occasionally had to turn it 7 times. Also after doing it once I thought they might have implemented a failed try lock out timer. It just seemed to not work, so I'd give it a rest for 30 minutes and retry. Wonderful way to spend an evening.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Keith Tedford
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I get the fob in a pocket with a handful of change and a couple bunches of keys, the DIC will show no fob. take it out and all is well. This has happened several times with the same cure each time.

Last edited by Keith Tedford; 08-13-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:38 AM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Fob

Originally Posted by Keith Tedford
If I get the fob in a pocket with a handful of change and a couple bunches of keys, the DIC will show no fob. take it out and all is well. This has happened several times with the same cure each time.
Keith has the answer. (I changed the battery as well, and sometimes still get the 'No Fob Detected' msg) When it happens, I flip the fob over through my pants pocket and magically it reappears to the car.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:28 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

I had a phone charger plugged in under the armrest. Unplugged it and everything when back to normal.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:43 PM
gacorvetteguy
Cruising

This is really weird, but it has happened to me and a friend of mine. I pulled up to a 7-11 type store and went inside...came back to my corvette and "NO FOB DETECTED" The FOB is in my pocket, so what is the problem?? I called my friend who has a corvette also and he is on the way to get me. Meanwhile, a guy pulls up and says that this happened to him as well. He said his friend who works at Chevy Dealership said to move the corvette back away from the 7-11 Store about 10 feet. My vette is a 6 speed, so I got in...Put it in neutral...Pushed it back about 8 or 10 feet...and it started perfect..!! Didn't put a whole lot of faith in the 7-11 Store Theory, but my friend pulls up next to where I was parked when the FOB would not work and BINGO...his corvette would not start and showed "NO FOB DETECTED" !!!! I don't have a clue what made it do that, but it DID..!! We pushed his corvette back about 10 feet and the FOB worked fine. A Wrecker Driver came by as we were all talking about this and he said he had been to several calls where this had happened near store fronts. His thought were that the Neon Lights or Microwaves (not ovens) but waves coming from the store interfered with the FOB, much like when you have another FOB in your pocket that causes the FOB not to work. I don't know the reason for this...BUT I do know pushing "our" vetts away from the store front allowed our FOBS to work properly.

Last edited by gacorvetteguy; 10-19-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:04 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by gacorvetteguy
This is really weird, but it has happened to me and a friend of mine. I pulled up to a 7-11 type store and went inside...came back to my corvette and "NO FOB DETECTED" The FOB is in my pocket, so what is the problem?? I called my friend who has a corvette also and he is on the way to get me. Meanwhile, a guy pulls up and says that this happened to him as well. He said his friend who works at Chevy Dealership said to move the corvette back away from the 7-11 Store about 10 feet. My vette is a 6 speed, so I got in...Put it in neutral...Pushed it back about 8 or 10 feet...and it started perfect..!! Didn't put a whole lot of faith in the 7-11 Store Theory, but my friend pulls up next to where I was parked when the FOB would not work and BINGO...his corvette would not start and showed "NO FOB DETECTED" !!!! I don't have a clue what made it do that, but it DID..!! We pushed his corvette back about 10 feet and the FOB worked fine. A Wrecker Driver came by as we were all talking about this and he said he had been to several calls where this had happened near store fronts. His thought were that the Neon Lights or Microwaves (not ovens) but waves coming from the store interfered with the FOB, much like when you have another FOB in your pocket that causes the FOB not to work. I don't know the reason for this...BUT I do know pushing "our" vetts away from the store front allowed our FOBS to work properly.
Why wouldn't you just stick the fob in the glove box slot rather than push your car?
Old 10-19-2014, 06:06 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by owc6
Why wouldn't you just stick the fob in the glove box slot rather than push your car?

It'd been tough pushing it uphill to get the distance needed to start the car. The slot would have beat the interference.

Elmer
Old 10-19-2014, 07:22 PM
gacorvetteguy
Cruising

Default Didn't even think of that.

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
It'd been tough pushing it uphill to get the distance needed to start the car. The slot would have beat the interference.

Elmer
What made you think it was "uphill?"
Old 10-20-2014, 08:27 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by gacorvetteguy
What made you think it was "uphill?"
My luck! It would have been a 6% upgrade!
Old 10-22-2014, 03:54 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 166 Posts

Lots of good info, I recently learned with a somewhat weak battery, my hearing aids interfered with the fob signal. A fresh fob battery cleared up the problem.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:43 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Lots of good info, I recently learned with a somewhat weak battery, my hearing aids interfered with the fob signal. A fresh fob battery cleared up the problem.
How did you determine the hearing aids interfered? Seems kind of impossible since they are a receiving device NOT a transmitting device.

I've been wearing hearing aids for 20 years and never had a problem with any of the remote "driven" vehicles. And the most recent ones do transmit and receive thru Bluetooth to a remote.

I suspect you just had a week remote battery!!
Old 10-22-2014, 07:48 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 166 Posts

I too thought it was merely a weak battery and I have only been wearing hearing aids for 6 weeks. I thought it interesting, when I was packing up my car for a track day everything was fine. I wasn't wearing my hearing aids, I can hear myself talking to myself just fine without them. The next morning as I left for the track the fob problems started, and had my hearing aids on for the drive. Since it was 5am. I could get the doors to open using the fob unlock button, ran into problems trying to start the car (no fob detected messages) and it was interesting the car was acting similar to a charging cell phone. I finally figured out the only transmitter I had were my hearing aids. I turned them off and the fob worked better (but not completely). As I stated, a weak fob battery and hearing aids will cause you some problems.

My hearing aids transmit to each other. For example, the volume controls. The left volume control brings the volume down, the right turns it up.

The auto feedback control, automatic gain control, stereo reception all require both sides "talk" to each other.

When I got home, I installed a new battery in my fob and the fob was back in business and 100% reliable. It was a little disconcerting, being two hours from home with a flakey fob. I ended up disabling the auto lock feature while I was at the track, just in case.

I see you are in Arizona, I plan to come down about mid March for the Nascar event. Should be fun, our first time in Arizona (aside from the Phoenix airport) plus it will be nice to get out of the Pacific Northwest rain for a few days.

Get notified of new replies

To NO FOBS DETECTED What to do?

Old 10-22-2014, 08:04 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

This is just a friendly reminder that the key will get you into the car, and you can always put the fob in the glovebox slot if you think it is an interference issue, or a low/dead battery--even if the battery is not in the fob, it will work in the slot.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:19 PM
GlennsVette
Intermediate

I hope this helps someone. I had a similar issue with my 2012 GS LE several months ago. After two trips to the shop it turn out to be the clips holding the fuse where loose just needed to be tightened up.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:28 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Yeep ! fob #2 is dead as my wife calls to tell me cuz she's locked out of the car cuz door won't even open!!! No we don't carry the trunk key like I think we now should. Replaced fob 1& 2 batteries today.

Quick Reply: NO FOBS DETECTED What to do?