C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NO FOBS DETECTED What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:52 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Programming/Reprogramming a FOB is not the answer. You only do that when you are adding or replacing FOBs.

Did you read the part in the PDF that mentions interference? There are many things that can screw up the signal to the car. Phones, chargers, garage door openers, stuff...

Oh, ground cables are monsters if they get loose. I think they can make the car back up and sing Dixie or whatever.

Elmer
Old 03-18-2014, 01:41 PM
jman33163
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep yep the part about interference is what made me post asking if it could possibly be coming from a new neighbor. Maybe a ham radio enthusiast moved in or something or someone has medical monitoring device of some kind? Grasping at straws really tho

Kinda hoping moving near a different building does the trick

Don't get me started on the bad ground haha I spent lots of money to find out it was a $12 cable
Old 03-25-2014, 10:01 AM
jman33163
Instructor

Well, was only in town for 1 night this weekend so only had the one chance to experiment with parking in a different spot. I parked the car 4 buildings over from mine, somewhere around 150 yards away from my building. Walked up Monday morning and complete and utter failure doors wouldn't unlock and had to pop the hatch. Wouldn't start either so had to put the fob in the slot behind the glove compartment door and started right up. Still wasn't recognizing the fob when I got to work and shut it off. After exiting the car and letting it sit for a few minutes I walked up got right in and it started up.

Only way to get farther away is to drive down the street and park on the side of the street. Not really wanting to do that but will try it once just to see. Probably just gonna pull the fuse for the horn until I can get to a dealership or maybe install an aftermarket alarm/keyless entry system. Hell, maybe I will finally buy a daily driver and just leave the Vette locked up at work under the cover
Old 03-25-2014, 10:20 AM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jman33163
Well, was only in town for 1 night this weekend so only had the one chance to experiment with parking in a different spot. I parked the car 4 buildings over from mine, somewhere around 150 yards away from my building. Walked up Monday morning and complete and utter failure doors wouldn't unlock and had to pop the hatch. Wouldn't start either so had to put the fob in the slot behind the glove compartment door and started right up. Still wasn't recognizing the fob when I got to work and shut it off. After exiting the car and letting it sit for a few minutes I walked up got right in and it started up.

Only way to get farther away is to drive down the street and park on the side of the street. Not really wanting to do that but will try it once just to see. Probably just gonna pull the fuse for the horn until I can get to a dealership or maybe install an aftermarket alarm/keyless entry system. Hell, maybe I will finally buy a daily driver and just leave the Vette locked up at work under the cover
Did you replace the battery to see if that solved the problem??
Be sure to get panasonic, as their 2032 batteries are smooth on the contact side.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:41 AM
jman33163
Instructor

I have not, mainly because this only happens at the apartment complex where I live. It has never once, not a single time, ever happened anywhere else. Not at work, not at my parents house, not at the mall or department store, no where. I will pick up batteries this week sometime. I actually meant to do it this past weekend but spent so much time doing other things with my folks I forgot. Still, don't see why the battery would only have issues in one place As long as I am not home everything works as it should which is why it is driving nucking futs! Haha
Old 03-25-2014, 11:08 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Just throwing this out there, as I don't really know, but I wonder if reprogramming the fobs using the long method (to get new internal keying sequence) might solve the problem--if the problem is that something near your usual parking place is interfering?

Maybe someone who knows more about how such electrical magic works could tell us if that idea holds any water.

lisa
Old 03-25-2014, 11:18 AM
jman33163
Instructor

Elmer said no but I don't know myself.

Still convinced it is some type of local interference but it must be a strong signal whatever it is
Old 03-25-2014, 05:30 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have not, mainly because this only happens at the apartment complex where I live. It has never once, not a single time, ever happened anywhere else. Not at work, not at my parents house, not at the mall or department store, no where. I will pick up batteries this week sometime.
I only ask as it looks like you're in an 05? And wondered when the batteries were changed (and how many times?). My '09 went suddenly a month and a half ago; and I started having all kinds of issues. I nearly got stuck near a Starbucks where there also seemed to be some sort of interference.

New batteries fixed it all; as I did not have to reprogram. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:00 PM
jman33163
Instructor

I bought the car in August of 2011 and have not changed the fob batteries yet. Not sure if previous owner had or not. The passenger fob still has the dealer tag on it and looks like it has never been carried in a pocket, it doesn't work either when this happens. Like I said, when it hasn't sat at the apartment complex, they both work just fine.

I will definitely change the batteries this weekend when I roll back into town. I hope it works, just not convinced

I really appreciate all the feedback guys and gals
Old 03-25-2014, 11:31 PM
SpeedyChase
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fob not detected

I bought the car in August of 2011 and have not changed the fob batteries yet. Not sure if previous owner had or not. The passenger fob still has the dealer tag on it and looks like it has never been carried in a pocket, it doesn't work either when this happens. Like I said, when it hasn't sat at the apartment complex, they both work just fine.

I will definitely change the batteries this weekend when I roll back into town. I hope it works, just not convinced

I really appreciate all the feedback guys and gals
Jman, change your batteries to satisfy yourself and others on this thread but the root cause to the problem is RFI. If you have tried parking in different places at your apartment and still have the problem then the signal strength is fairly strong. To solve the problem you have two alternatives, find the FRI source and disable it (don't think it will happen) and second, move on to another apartment complex. Check it out first for RFI with your Corvette.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:07 AM
jman33163
Instructor

Agreed. I am a believer in the RFI being the culprit but will change the batteries anyway, and unplug the horn fuse

I'm not moving anytime soon tho, I hate moving
Old 04-05-2014, 07:22 AM
heli-vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I have had great luck Taping the FOB against a hard object . It jiggels the battery contacts and works great . 4 times no FOB detected , a quick slap and zingo ,,all is well .
Old 04-05-2014, 09:54 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

How many dynes of force do you use? I am not adding a step that says "Smack that FOB on the dash 4 times?" as a fix in my table!

Ya do know that your method was used back in the 50s to get TV reception clearer!? Nothin like a good whack on the top of the TV to clear things up!

Elmer
Old 04-05-2014, 10:33 AM
heli-vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
How many dynes of force do you use? I am not adding a step that says "Smack that FOB on the dash 4 times?" as a fix in my table!

Ya do know that your method was used back in the 50s to get TV reception clearer!? Nothin like a good whack on the top of the TV to clear things up!

Elmer
Maybe 1/2" away from shift **** 2 - 4 taps .like a pen out of ink .
It works for me , just putting it out there .
Old 04-07-2014, 11:41 PM
C6Rdstr
3rd Gear

I suggest a nice YouTube video for C6 owners. Go search for "C6 Owners instructional DVD" it does add a lot more information on top of the manual that came with the car. It covers a lot of scenarios and what to do when it happens.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:37 PM
OUTAMYWY
Advanced

Right on! I did it all on my 2008. You got it right!
Old 04-16-2014, 11:27 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New C6 Owner - Sincerely Appreciate the thread

I am in process of purchasing a new to me 2008 LT3 Coupe. I went out and test drove it myself yesterday and took the wife back today to finalize the deal. Car is one owner and is garaged most of the time and has not been driven most of the winter. The car cranked and ran great yesterday and the owner cranked and moved to the front before we arrived today, but by the time we arrived the car would not turn over. The Battery was down to less than 9 volts and after trying to start the doors would not open and the car would not recognize the fobs. We put it on charge and after 20 minute it began to recognize the fobs and doors began working but still to low to crank.
The car is going to the dealer in the morning and I suspect a new battery will be the primary issue, but after reading this I think new Panasonic batteries for the fobs will by high on my priority list once have the car in my possession tomorrow afternoon.
I have a 69 convertible and have been a member for around 6 years, but see that I can expect a large learning curve on the 08. I look forward to being a part of the C6 forum.
thanks greatly for the thread,

Get notified of new replies

To NO FOBS DETECTED What to do?

Old 05-04-2014, 12:32 PM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Battery

Originally Posted by slbfan
you guys better stop bying those batteries from the dollar store....lol..sometimes that's what the problem is....it happen to me
How often do you need to replace the battery? Is there a way to test or know if it is getting low or does it just die?

I just bought an 08 in mint condition but have no idea if the battery has ever been replaced. I guess I could just replace it and not have to worry about it.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:35 PM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by TX-Techman
I am in process of purchasing a new to me 2008 LT3 Coupe. I went out and test drove it myself yesterday and took the wife back today to finalize the deal. Car is one owner and is garaged most of the time and has not been driven most of the winter. The car cranked and ran great yesterday and the owner cranked and moved to the front before we arrived today, but by the time we arrived the car would not turn over. The Battery was down to less than 9 volts and after trying to start the doors would not open and the car would not recognize the fobs. We put it on charge and after 20 minute it began to recognize the fobs and doors began working but still to low to crank.
The car is going to the dealer in the morning and I suspect a new battery will be the primary issue, but after reading this I think new Panasonic batteries for the fobs will by high on my priority list once have the car in my possession tomorrow afternoon.

I have a 69 convertible and have been a member for around 6 years, but see that I can expect a large learning curve on the 08. I look forward to being a part of the C6 forum.
thanks greatly for the thread,
I just picked up a 2008 LT4 convertible with only 22K. Good luck with yours. This is my fourth Corvette but never had a new one.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 AM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I start getting these gremlins about every 18 months. Usually most of the below happens:

1. No Fob Detected Message
2. Battery won't hold charge for more than two days.
3. Various electrical maladies.

So I now switch out the car battery and the fob batteries every 18 months. I have two after-market attachments - an amp and the bi-mode exhaust - and something in there wears out the car battery prematurely.

So I just put in a new car battery every year and a half. And I used Interstate on the last one. Wal-Mart battery warranty is even better. No need for Optimas.

Quick Reply: NO FOBS DETECTED What to do?