C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Placement of Jack Stands

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 06:50 PM
mastergunner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Placement of Jack Stands

Need help from the forum. I have a 2013 GS and need to install a Billy Boat exhaust. Where do I need to place the jack stands? I have never been under the car until now. All help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:14 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I used two under the engine cradle and 1 on each rear side rail. you need to get @ 18" up in the air.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:46 PM
wrh3
Pro

http://www.bugmanweb.com/c6/jack.html
Old 07-29-2013, 07:58 PM
mastergunner
Racer

Thanks for the link. Never thought i would need a new jack.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:03 PM
wrh3
Pro

Since I didn't have funds for a lift right now, I invested in some cross beam adapters from Smith Fabrication (no financial interest, just a satisfied customer) that work well- jack, place stands underneath, remove jack:

Old 07-30-2013, 08:03 AM
Itshakes
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Smith Fabrication Cross Beam Adapters

Tell me more about these cross beam adapters! Where to buy them? What do they cost? I am interested--these are the solution to the Corvette jacking problems!
Web site?
Old 07-30-2013, 08:13 AM
wrh3
Pro

http://smithfabrication.webs.com/app...s/show/3852554
Old 07-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Itshakes
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Thank You VERY MUCH! You can bet I'm going to order some today!!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Forvettes
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

WOW - $250. I guess that Corvette logo adds a lot to the price.

Summit Racing also carries a Cross Beam Adapters for $45 and $105

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-918008
Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 PM
wrh3
Pro

Originally Posted by Forvettes

The Summit adapters are $90 and the Ranger $210 for a set for an apples to apples price comparison.

Some were even lucky enough to get these same cheaper universal cross brace adapters when Northern Tool closed them out at ~$10 a few years ago. Lots of options out there if the gauge of steel used and manufacturing satisfies you and you don't mind modding them- lots of forum members are using these without any issues.

I chose to go with Jim's, and actually took the measurements and pictures to help Jim develop them for the C6. They use better/thicker gauge steel, are ready to go as soon as you open the box, and are built for a C6 Corvette- not universal. My time is valuable/limited and I like the materials used a bit better so it was worth it to me. The stickers were free and a US small business/fellow Corvette owner is supported

I was looking for something better and happened to see a picture Jim posted with these for his C5 and inquired about him building some for a C6. Not for everybody but they are beefy and well built if that is what you are looking for.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:53 PM
mastergunner
Racer

Originally Posted by Forvettes

It looks like that these are being sold as a pair. If it was just one I would say too expensive.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:54 PM
mastergunner
Racer

Originally Posted by wrh3
Since I didn't have funds for a lift right now, I invested in some cross beam adapters from Smith Fabrication (no financial interest, just a satisfied customer) that work well- jack, place stands underneath, remove jack:

So I noticed you do not have a super long reach on your jack. How do you get the front end up?
Old 07-30-2013, 02:07 PM
wrh3
Pro

Originally Posted by mastergunner
So I noticed you do not have a super long reach on your jack. How do you get the front end up?
2x6 ramps like some other members here use with their jack/adapters provide enough clearance. Even with a longer reach jack you'll have to lift it a little, so my dilemma now is to invest in a new jack or leave that money in the MaxJax fund- we'll see.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:38 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

All kinds of option if you think about it. This is my take with 304 cres box tubing and T6 jacking pads, adjustable for both front or rear cross member:

Foreground shows the prototype using "U" channel and the back one is the final version with milled T6 adjustable jacking pads:

The drive up ramps up front are no longer used. Now after jacking up at behind front wheel shipping slot (Jacking puck slot) I use these, first one side then the other. Which offers three different heights as well as at under tire contact patch or frame rail, all depending on work demands:

I am not in business or promoting others business.

Just ideas to share.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:21 PM
mastergunner
Racer

Originally Posted by victorf
All kinds of option if you think about it. This is my take with 304 cres box tubing and T6 jacking pads, adjustable for both front or rear cross member:

Foreground shows the prototype using "U" channel and the back one is the final version with milled T6 adjustable jacking pads:

The drive up ramps up front are no longer used. Now after jacking up at behind front wheel shipping slot (Jacking puck slot) I use these, first one side then the other. Which offers three different heights as well as at under tire contact patch or frame rail, all depending on work demands:

I am not in business or promoting others business.

Just ideas to share.
You built the stands also? Pretty impressive wished I had access to a mill and welder LOL. There needs to be a poor mans version (DIY) of this jacking stand.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:20 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice work, guys! Glad to see some more C6 cross beam adapter progress happening.

Hey, I believe I started the C6 cross beam craze back in Febuary of `06 with the below linked post. Was an original idea I had after refusing to lift the car from any spot not designated by the Corvette owner's manual:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...g-c6-pics.html

Got put down quite a bit by guys claiming to regularly lift the C6 from spots not designated by the manual and also by guys trusting 2"X6" pieces of wood as cross beams etc. When I work on cars, I don't like to take risks just to save a few bucks. A crushed limb or a damaged aluminum structural member is gonna cost a whole lot more than a few good cross beams.

I still feel that the steel cross beam adapter idea is best for DIY lifting and supporting of the C6 when you do not have a proper lift available. Has worked fine for me for the past 6+ years, safe and proper.

I like the new cross beams in this thread... very cool!!! Some nice improvements over the old Harbor Freight ones. I approve!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Placement of Jack Stands

Quick Reply: Placement of Jack Stands