C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rattle in top

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Familyman
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattle in top

hey guys have a small rattle somewhere. Appears to be coming from top. What do you use to grease pins & latches seen GM has a superlube &something for weatherstripping conditioner ... Reakon I need both Thanks
Old 10-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What year? The reason for asking is GM changed the latch design in mid 2008. I have an early 2008 with the old style (roller) latch and the fix to top creaks was to add an E-Clip to both latches, heat shrink tubing both posts and to use a new O-Ring on top of the shrink tubing. I think the E-Clip did the most.

The picture is not that great but it will let you know what worked for me.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:34 AM
0PaulaH
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tried all the above, nothing worked. It was terrible. crack, pop, rattle and squeak. Took to dealer and all it needed was to have the latched tightened! Even better it cost me only $47.99 A pleasure to drive now....
Old 10-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

On our coupe, the dielectric silicone grease that was originally recommended for the weatherstripping/pins/latches, needed to be re-applied every few months in order to keep things quiet. If I use the Superlube paste (not the spray can!!!), it lasts a year or two. Leaves a slight whiteish residue, but not too bad and only visible when the trop is removed.

For the other weatherstrip on the car, I still use the dielectric silicone grease.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:09 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,832 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I've asked on here before about tightening the top or adjusting it. I didn't get a response. If I push up on the top right at the connection of the top and windshield while driving, the rattle stops. I sure would like a little "How to" on adjusting the "clamp" force of the top. This would be for a convertible.

Elmer
Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
I've asked on here before about tightening the top or adjusting it. I didn't get a response. If I push up on the top right at the connection of the top and windshield while driving, the rattle stops. I sure would like a little "How to" on adjusting the "clamp" force of the top. This would be for a convertible.

Elmer
Elmer,

Mine did the same thing and the E-Clips fixed that problem. I used to be able to stop or reduce the creaks by holding down on the right latch. It is fixed now
Old 10-08-2013, 03:40 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,832 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Arkay
Elmer,

Mine did the same thing and the E-Clips fixed that problem. I used to be able to stop or reduce the creaks by holding down on the right latch. It is fixed now
Aren't those for the hardtop? I have the convertible and I don't think I have the E clips.

Elmer
Old 10-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Aren't those for the hardtop? I have the convertible and I don't think I have the E clips.

Elmer
Sorry about the confusion. Yes, the E-Clips help the hard tops. I was not aware you have a convertible.

Get notified of new replies

To rattle in top

Quick Reply: rattle in top