C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions - Manual vs Auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:30 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

NO. No way do I regret getting auto.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:47 PM
68 BB 396
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual for me

To each there own. I respect others opinions but it will always be manual for me. Nothing like it.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:29 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
NO. No way do I regret getting auto.
Me neither......
Old 07-23-2013, 11:49 PM
at7000ft
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by The BreeZe
You steer an automatic, you drive a manual....what do you want to do?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:54 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperDave02
Im about to pay off my C5 and have been looking at C6s, Im spoiled with an auto in my current car. Im looking to getting something around an 08. Any guys with an Auto wish you would of got a manual? Or other way around?
The folks recommending an automatic will eventually get their way, because 3-pedal manuals are on the endangered species list. Get and enjoy the manual while you still can. It probably won't be available at all on a C8.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:47 AM
VRYALT3R3D
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Manual. You are buying a sports car, not a lame family sedan.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:49 AM
VRYALT3R3D
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by torquetube
The folks recommending an automatic will eventually get their way, because 3-pedal manuals are on the endangered species list. Get and enjoy the manual while you still can. It probably won't be available at all on a C8.
People are artificially being pushed to buy a automatic over a manual for the sake of a .5 or 1sec to 0-60.

Last edited by VRYALT3R3D; 07-24-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: wording
Old 07-24-2013, 10:57 AM
LPT2011
Instructor

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D
People are artificially being pushed to buy a manual when none is available all for the sake of a .5 or 1sec to 0-60.
Really ? My C6 is the first manual car I ever bought and whether you want to admit it or not, it actually takes skill to drive a manual vs. pushing the accelerator and steering the car. Its tons more fun to take out on country roads and run through the gears, downshifting into the turns, making 6K RPM shifts and just smiling. And FUN is what my C6 is all about !

ps - I'm already old ... but I don't feel old
Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Manual. You are buying a sports car, not a lame family sedan.
People are artificially being pushed to buy a manual when none is available all for the sake of a .5 or 1sec to 0-60.
Typical posts of a manual fanatic. Can't remember which side he was on one post prior.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LPT2011
Really ? My C6 is the first manual car I ever bought and whether you want to admit it or not, it actually takes skill to drive a manual vs. pushing the accelerator and steering the car. Its tons more fun to take out on country roads and run through the gears, downshifting into the turns, making 6K RPM shifts and just smiling. And FUN is what my C6 is all about !

+1

And I'll add one more dimension....automatic transmissions were designed for women, and girly men, who are unwilling, or unable, to learn to drive a high performance machine. Everyone knows that, but no one wants to come right out and say it.

There, it's out in the open now.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

...3-pedal manuals are on the endangered species list. Get and enjoy the manual while you still can. It probably won't be available at all on a C8.
Where do you get your information? Is this some fantasy?

There isn't a true sports car in the world, that is only building automatic transmissions. I have never seen any responsible publication that even suggests that manual transmissions are on the way out, and will be no longer available.

I'd like to see a link that verifies your comment.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by LPT2011

What makes you think you can't down shift or up shift a 6 speed auto at will? You just use a finger or thumb instead of a foot and hand.
Here is something for you M6 guys:
http://www.x4extender.net/?gclid=CLO...FctAMgod_WcAVA

:roc k:
Old 07-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,466 Likes on 790 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Hameister

There isn't a true sports car in the world, that is only building automatic transmissions. I have never seen any responsible publication that even suggests that manual transmissions are on the way out, and will be no longer available.

I think the comment may directed towards the fact that three pedal manual shift cars are becoming scarce and rowing through the gears is being replaced by the flappy paddle. Still a manual but not as manual as it once was.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
I think the comment may directed towards the fact that three pedal manual shift cars are becoming scarce and rowing through the gears is being replaced by the flappy paddle. Still a manual but not as manual as it once was.
Well, like I said way back in post #83, it's a matter of personal choice. I've seen so many of these M6 vs. A6 threads, that really go nowhere, and convince no one, of anything.

Personally, I've driven a paddle shift, and I've driven several +/- floor mount manual/auto shifts like the Nissan Maxima. To me, it's push button driving, and just doesn't give me the "feel" of the car, or the control, or even the same sensation of driving that I get with a stick and clutch. But, that's just me.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:05 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen so many of these M6 vs. A6 threads, that really go nowhere, and convince no one, of anything.
But but..... wait!!! We haven't finalized which color was the right one????

I now know that I'm a sissy, (even though I spent a good part of my adult life driving sticks before having the auto option available to me)but I desperately need to know if my poor taste in aesthetics makes me some sub human entity that does not deserve the air he's breathing in addition to the sissified status....

Pleeeeeeeeze let me know..... I can't take the suspense any more!!!!!

Thanks CF!

Last edited by GuyFromLeMans; 07-24-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:06 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Ferrari ceased production of all 3-pedal manuals years ago. Lamborghini just phased them out. The new Porsche 911 GT3 and 911 Turbo can't be had with one. Ditto McLaren, Nissan GT-R, Audi R8... the list goes on and on.

Everywhere a DSG/DCT/PDK/E-Gear/F1/whatever gearbox is offered with a fully-automated clutch, fly-by-wire gear selection, and only two pedals, it outsells the manual gearbox option. I think some of this is due to novelty, and the 3-pedal cars will one day command a premium. Or maybe not, seeing as an ever-dwindling percentage of the population even knows how to operate one. "In 1987, 29.1% of new vehicles sold in the U.S. were manual transmission, according to the EPA. By 2010, however, the rate had fallen to just 3.8%." (Time).

I think that it will eventually become impossible to make mileage/emissions targets without a true FADEC, and that means the car needs to run the gearbox as well. Then they'll all be gone.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:18 PM
LPT2011
Instructor

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
What makes you think you can't down shift or up shift a 6 speed auto at will? You just use a finger or thumb instead of a foot and hand.
Here is something for you M6 guys:
http://www.x4extender.net/?gclid=CLO...FctAMgod_WcAVA

:roc k:
Not surprised at all that you listed one of your bookmarked websites

Tell me do you also throw it into neutral so you can rev the engine at the stoplights ....WAWAWAWAWAWA

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions - Manual vs Auto

Old 07-24-2013, 01:19 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyFromLeMans
Have to call an urgent BS alert here!

I grew up in Europe, in a country where there was no auto trans option on cars. Nothing but sticks there. Learned how to drive (and had to pass an actual test to get my drivers license, as it is not just handed over to you over there) on a manual stick.
Drove nothing BUT manual cars between the age of 18 and 30.

Then I moved to the US and for the first time experienced the auto.
From this day on I knew I would never ever buy a stick again.

I even have some racing experience, but on the street, pumping the clutch is a drag.
Maybe growing up in Europe damaged your brain. Read the line I posted after that in the same post.

You didnt quote my entire post, you picked the first line. The 2nd line SHOWS to anyone with even half a brain that it was sarcasm. However, you completely missed it.

I have had automatics and manuals. Its all in what you want the car for.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Buy what you like, like what you buy. Only you can answer your question not us.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:44 PM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie
What if they're both on your right side?

Transplant them.

Quick Reply: Opinions - Manual vs Auto