C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS. Rear tires swapped?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 01:16 AM
mg777
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS. Rear tires swapped?

2013 Coupe.
Yesterday, I got TPMS message in dic low right rear tire (21 psi).

Went to dealership this AM,Checked air pressure, it's 30 psi in right rear tire. Then the tech realized I had nail in my left rear tire and it was the tire with 20 psi. Long-story short, I had the tire patched and all is good now. All other tires were in good shape (Dealer did try to sell me new tire for $450 !!. Luckily, thanks to This forum I knew better and found a local certified GOodyear shop who patched it.)

At the dealership, they used the tool they have to re_program TPMS, and told me the back tires were swapped.Does this make sense? I don't understand how the TPMS could have mixed up my back tires.

fYI. The only time my tires "could" have came off since I bought the car was when I had my dealership install GM mudflaps.

Can someone tell me If its possible for the TPMS to have the back tires swapped, and if so how does that work ?! I'm confused as to why the DIC told me the right rear was low when in reality it was my left rear tire
Old 07-21-2013, 01:45 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The car receives info that is transmitted from the sensors. The way it identifies the location is the order that the car learned. Essentially, you teach the car where the sensor is. If you swap wheels, you have to reteach the car where the new locations are, so it reads correctly on your DIC.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:03 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Simple the tech swapped the tires without thinking when they installed the mud flaps.
z51vett
Old 07-21-2013, 09:09 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by mg777
2013 Coupe.
Yesterday, I got TPMS message in dic low right rear tire (21 psi).

Went to dealership this AM,Checked air pressure, it's 30 psi in right rear tire. Then the tech realized I had nail in my left rear tire and it was the tire with 20 psi. Long-story short, I had the tire patched and all is good now. All other tires were in good shape (Dealer did try to sell me new tire for $450 !!. Luckily, thanks to This forum I knew better and found a local certified GOodyear shop who patched it.)

At the dealership, they used the tool they have to re_program TPMS, and told me the back tires were swapped.Does this make sense? I don't understand how the TPMS could have mixed up my back tires.

fYI. The only time my tires "could" have came off since I bought the car was when I had my dealership install GM mudflaps.

Can someone tell me If its possible for the TPMS to have the back tires swapped, and if so how does that work ?! I'm confused as to why the DIC told me the right rear was low when in reality it was my left rear tire

Sounds like the guy who worked on your tires swapped sides. If you have the original tires, or the Michelin PSS's, they are not unidirectional. I recall that the tires on my C5 were unidirectional, so that is a change. Now, they only have an inside and an outside.

Going one side to the other is OK ... all they do is rotate in the opposite direction. Which I suppose is desirable since it would probably result in more even tire wear.

I'm not sure how you correct the situation. Could just know what it is and live with it.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

As noted, the instructions for the GM splash guards call for removing both rear wheels (but not the fronts) to install.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if they swapped the tires it's easy to fix without removing the tires/wheels. it's done electronically. go to any discount tire and they can do it for you. mine were accidentally swapped and when i discovered it i went to them and explained the issue. 5 minutes later it was fixed.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:37 AM
0TitanTPMS
Former Vendor

When learning TPMS you start LF RF RR LF. The LR and RR were swapped and just needed to be relearned. It takes about 5 min or so to relearn and it is something you can do your self. Titan TPMS offers a HUGE selection of OEM and Aftermarket TPMS and with *FREE shipping* we will get you taken care of when time to replace the TPMS!! CAll me or PM.

Jon Cook
Senior Technician
Titan TPMS
JonC@TitanTPMS.com
1.888.249.2688 x320

Last edited by TitanTPMS; 07-24-2013 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Signature
Old 07-24-2013, 08:59 AM
noz34me
Pro

I thought the tires on these cars are directional; if they swapped wheels/tires wouldn't the tread be oriented backwards?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 AM
veloz
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by noz34me
I thought the tires on these cars are directional; if they swapped wheels/tires wouldn't the tread be oriented backwards?
yup, my thoughts exactly...this was brought to my attention during a car show about my car...i swapped them when i was painting the barrels and didnt notice the lil arrow on the side wall...something to keep an eye on...
Old 07-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by noz34me
Depends on what tires are on the car. EMT Gen 1 Supercar tires aren't directional.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS. Rear tires swapped?

Quick Reply: TPMS. Rear tires swapped?