C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking oil pan gasket

Old 03-13-2012, 08:19 PM
luvlake
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Leaking oil pan gasket

Well, today I finally got the nerve to take my 08 to the dealer to have the infamous leaking oil pan addressed. I have a little over 16K on the car and my 5 years is over in September. I have delayed having it done because it never was a big leak but a leak is a leak and better on the Generals tab than mine. It looks like to me the General has a problem here. I would appreciate feedback from those who had this fixed and feedback after the fix.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:20 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,423 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by luvlake
Well, today I finally got the nerve to take my 08 to the dealer to have the infamous leaking oil pan addressed. I have a little over 16K on the car and my 5 years is over in September. I have delayed having it done because it never was a big leak but a leak is a leak and better on the Generals tab than mine. It looks like to me the General has a problem here. I would appreciate feedback from those who had this fixed and feedback after the fix.

I had to have it done on my Z-06. Was tight as a drum and dry after. All was well.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 PM
lennieorr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the gasket fixed on my 08 last month. Seems to be dry now. The only problem is that now I am dealing with smelling burning oil every time the heater or air is on when I come to a stop. Assuming it is some oil the got on parts of the engine when they changed the gasket.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 450 Likes on 228 Posts

Had mine repaired a couple of months ago and all is well now. You will probably have to keep and eye on it in the future, don't know how long the repair lasts.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:53 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had mine done about a year ago and all is good again. If you have a good dealer you will be fine.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:33 AM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

mine is going in next week for the issue. The balancer is also getting replaced.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:55 AM
azc62006
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil

i had mine done in jan..... i still smelled oil two weeks after the pan gasket was replaced... i took it back to let them know. i asked them to put it back on the lift. the mech found out that either the factory or he didnt put the rubber 'O' ring back on the oil temp sending unit... it was leaking very little but enough that i could smell it..... ill try to find a pic and post it
Old 03-14-2012, 11:47 AM
azc62006
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default oil leak

the first pic is before they replaced the pan gasket. the second pic is the oil level sending unit that was missing the rubber o ring. i hope this helps you..if you look at the cable on the top right that is where the oil level sending unit goes..
Attached Images   

Last edited by azc62006; 03-14-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:25 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

I had the misfortune of the tow truck (flatbed) driver puncture my oilpan from thier chain.
It was an expensive tow.....for them.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:31 PM
a_drogan
Racer

Had mine done about three weeks ago (07 purchased Apr 2007). First dealer who told me about the leak wanted to charge me $1,000.00, said not a drive train item. Of course I went home and reviewed the posts on CF and found out the service writer was an idiot. Called him back and now he says, checked with GM, and is covered. No way I[m going back.

Just like you I was nervous about having it done but as getting close to end of 5 yr warranty I convinced myself that "it's only a car" and brought it to another dealer: Lou Brochrodt in Coconut Creek, FL.

Took one day, got a rental car (n/c), full wheel alignment (n/c). Two weeks later the service manager called and left a message asking about how the service was.

So far everything is fine and was very satisfied with the dealer service.

Last edited by a_drogan; 03-14-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had Dealer repair the pan leak and the oil level sending unit leak. All is clean and dry now.

Yes it's a documented LS3, seems mainly with the non hand built LS3 too, issue that I'd think Chevrolet would get tired of paying Dealers for their leaking pan repair costs and have a few Engineers look into the issue and fix it. LS3's are probably gone when the C7 comes out, so we'll probably never see a fix and the Dealers will continue to do warranty fixes on this issue.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:00 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Warranty up next Jan. so I'm holding out. Re torqued bolts myself & monitoring it.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:33 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Mach2
Had Dealer repair the pan leak and the oil level sending unit leak. All is clean and dry now.

Yes it's a documented LS3, seems mainly with the non hand built LS3 too, issue that I'd think Chevrolet would get tired of paying Dealers for their leaking pan repair costs and have a few Engineers look into the issue and fix it. LS3's are probably gone when the C7 comes out, so we'll probably never see a fix and the Dealers will continue to do warranty fixes on this issue.
Are you saying this is a common problem with the LS3 motor?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:38 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Common with LS2's as well.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:52 PM
madmaxC6
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ALS 08
Warranty up next Jan. so I'm holding out. Re torqued bolts myself & monitoring it.
2007 with wet oil pan. notice when doing an oil change. I also noticed that I was also missing one of the oil pan bolts. Went to three different dealership and everyone gave me the wrong bolt. The last dealership gave me a bolt that was next to the pan bolt on the diagram. Went home and and it fit. I re-torqued the other pan bolts... Many seemed loose. lets hope this works.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:52 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by madmaxC6
2007 with wet oil pan. notice when doing an oil change. I also noticed that I was also missing one of the oil pan bolts. Went to three different dealership and everyone gave me the wrong bolt. The last dealership gave me a bolt that was next to the pan bolt on the diagram. Went home and and it fit. I re-torqued the other pan bolts... Many seemed loose. lets hope this works.
Oil pan gasket was defective had mine done about 2 months ago. Didn't drip to floor and didn't use much oil between annual oil changes but was told it would get worse in time. I never did see any drips. Same for waterpump never saw any drips on ground but they showed me the seepage on waterpump so that got changed also.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by azc62006
the first pic is before they replaced the pan gasket. the second pic is the oil level sending unit that was missing the rubber o ring. i hope this helps you..if you look at the cable on the top right that is where the oil level sending unit goes..
My oil pan on 2005 didn't get this saturated but in time I sure it would have got worse..

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking oil pan gasket

Old 07-04-2013, 02:29 AM
Cubusinc
Advanced

My 08 had the pan gasket replaced last December.. No more oil saturating the pan. Has been 7 months and all is well.. Make sure they do an alignment. When I got mine back it would pull to the right so I took it back and had them re-align it to the Phadt street alignment specs and all is well.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:33 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cubusinc
My 08 had the pan gasket replaced last December.. No more oil saturating the pan. Has been 7 months and all is well.. Make sure they do an alignment. When I got mine back it would pull to the right so I took it back and had them re-align it to the Phadt street alignment specs and all is well.
Why is an alignment needed?
Old 07-04-2013, 08:34 AM
madmaxC6
4th Gear

Originally Posted by LS WON
Why is an alignment needed?
I believe they have to drop some parts of the front suspension to get to the oil pan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking oil pan gasket