C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with USAA insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 09:23 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 294 Likes on 216 Posts

Been with USAA for 40 years. Compared costs with friends with others, USAA always cheaper. Great service.

There is one downside to their insurance, they absolutely won't fight for you. We've been rearended twice, both times the other insurance refused to pay, and USAA wouldn't try to get them to pay. Consequently, we had to pay the deductible.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:36 AM
peahead
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been a member of USAA since 1983....Best Insurance Company in the Nation, also do all my banking and some investment with them as well.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:10 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Have had USAA auto for the past five years. Fortunately I have not had to file a claim so can't comment on that aspect. Been very satisfied with their customer service and the rates seem to be better than average. No complaints here.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:45 AM
COL-INF
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

USAA member since 1968. I don't use their bank or investment services but have always used them for auto and homeowners. I have an umbrella policy that also allows me a rebate when I store the vette during the winter months.

I've had a minimum number of claims over the years but they have always been handled professionally and expeditiously. My three children use USAA and they are happy too.

Lastly, as an over 40-year member, I get an additional 10% rebate on my Subscriber Savings Acount balance and that also reduces the cost.

A first class company IMHO.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:26 AM
jonathontodd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Usaa

In the last 2 months, my car has been hit by 2 different USAA customers. Very easy to deal with when your on the other side.

apparently they will insure anybody,,,,lol,,,,jk

Old 07-17-2013, 12:53 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by MakoShark72
Been a member for over 30 years.

They are not the cheapest and don't claim to be, but their customer service is TOP's in the industry.

Over the years, I have had other ins companies call me to solicit, and when I tell them I have USAA, they hang up...politely.

Back in the day, they ONLY insured military officers (and their families)...it was a smaller, lower risk, more exclusive "club". Service and rates were top-notch.

As USAA grew, they eventually opened up to ALL military members, and with more people insured (they are HUGE), there is inevitably going to be folks who are not always satisfied.

I have stayed with them because they have ALWAYS come through, whether with auto claims, homeowner claims, investment banking, etc..

Not the cheapest, but you usually get what you pay for..

Great company! All my kids have them and we are VERY satisfied.

Been a member for 41 years. Service cannot be beat. While open to all military now, Officers get the best rates. My daughter worked for them in claims and their mantra was service first and foremost. Only had a few claims--teenager kids, always handled in a top notch manner. USAA Fed Bank is one of the best out there, as well.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:55 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by COL-INF
USAA member since 1968. I don't use their bank or investment services but have always used them for auto and homeowners. I have an umbrella policy that also allows me a rebate when I store the vette during the winter months.

I've had a minimum number of claims over the years but they have always been handled professionally and expeditiously. My three children use USAA and they are happy too.

Lastly, as an over 40-year member, I get an additional 10% rebate on my Subscriber Savings Acount balance and that also reduces the cost.

A first class company IMHO.

I just got that last year. Nice piece of change.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Peek
Advanced

Default What they said

Yep, pretty much what the other guys said. Almost 30 years for me, prices not the best but fair. Absolutely the best customer service not just in the insurance/banking industry but in any industry as far as I'm concerned. Probably half a dozen claims over the years and no issues. My daughter's car has had three claims (none her fault) and all were handled to our satisfaction without any drama at all. They even have our mortgage right now - refinanced with 2.75% on a 15 year loan, a no-brainer there. I just about feel that USAA is a military benefit, for what it's worth.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:11 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by R0NIN
I use USAA for many services (including auto insurance)... I love them!
Old 07-17-2013, 11:18 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Been with them 42 years. My folks have been with them since 1943, 70 years now. If my daughter had stayed with them, the family could have made one of their 3 generation commercials.

They are no longer the cheapest but still the best.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:57 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
Been with USAA for 40 years. Compared costs with friends with others, USAA always cheaper. Great service.

There is one downside to their insurance, they absolutely won't fight for you. We've been rearended twice, both times the other insurance refused to pay, and USAA wouldn't try to get them to pay. Consequently, we had to pay the deductible.
I was hit in the side (with my Impala). They made it sound impossible and a PITA to have them do the work for me so I went against the other guy's insurance company (Allstate). I didn't have a problem at all. At first they tried to trip me up by saying there was no stop sign coming out of the parking lot onto a main road so it isn't their member's fault that he t-boned me. I laughed at them, mentioned that my arm was hurting and they start kissing my butt. My arm was "stung" for a few hours but ok later on. Later then used the accident as a reason to jack up my rates since I was a "higher risk" even though it was the other person's fault. Of course it was higher since I never have been involved in an accident for my previous 25 years of driving.

When my wife backed into an unmarked police car in a Quizno's parking lot the lady from USAA interviewing my wife tried to trip up my wife by speaking American slang in a rude way. I got on the phone and chewed her *** out stating my wife is Filipino and understands English. She got pissy at me. They then jacked up my rates for $30 a month for 3 years (enough to pay what they ended up paying).

I had Allstate before USAA and they paid more than my Trailblazer's value when my wife totaled it (her fault) and her rates didn't go up. I should have stuck with them but USAA was cheaper back then.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,002 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I've been with USAA since 1969 for auto's and since 1974 for Homeowner's. Now have them ( through Progressive for USAA) for our boats.

My Dad has had them since 1936 when he went into the Naval Academy. Only a brokerage account left now......

Only downside was for the dozen years we were into Street Rods ( pre 1949 heavily modified) they would not insure those. Went to SF and Allstate.

Over the years, I've had others quote and they usually aren't worth the difference, if any to switch. I get a rebate check each year too.

Easy to work with. I can just go online, or call to add or delete a vehicle. No hassle to have you pay up front, etc
Old 07-18-2013, 12:45 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I've been a member since 1969 and have had my auto insurance there ever since, as I haven't found any to be cheaper. That said, I don't shop around anymore, so there may be something cheaper out there. I would need a significantly better rate for me to switch, though, as their customer service is top-tier. I was very surprised to find my premium for the new C6 to be only $12/yr. higher than what I paid for my previous 18-YO Saab, partly due to some changes made to my profile.

I've had homeowners off and on, on now for about 10 years, and they almost begged me to put a new roof on my house when I inquired about it several years ago.

They don't underwrite motorcycle or antique policies and farm them out to other companies. I didn't find them competitive for either and have used Geico for the MC for the past eight years and a classic-car insurer for the C2 for at least 20 years. On one claim Geico was excellent, but I understand that varies with the adjuster you get. This one just happened to be a biker and was more than lenient in his handling of the process.

I don't have a credit card from them because I've found better deals available elsewhere, and have never used any of their investment services since I'm happy where I've been for decades.

Since they are a non-profit corporation the subscriber savings account they set up for customers plows profits back to them, and over time that account can get fairly large. They do occasionally send checks when the account gets too large, so this must be factored into the premium.

On the negative side, over the years I did find them to get a bit antsy on one occasion about 20 years ago after I made several glass-breakage claims in a relatively short period of time, legitimate though they were. When I financed my new C6 they did not offer the best rate and gave me an extreme run-around about my retirement status even though my credit rating is very high. Chase, who I only use for one credit card, gave me .5% lower rate (1.49%) than USAA without the slightest hassle.

Last edited by iclick; 07-18-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Jaycajun
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by vig1116
Those of you guys with USAA insurance, do you guys like it and are they competitive? Also, i've been reading reviews online about how bad they've become the last 5 or so years, is this true?? I'm trying to get my father to join so i can join through him, but he thinks it's a bad idea cause of the reviews. Obviously he'll do it if i want but I don't want a company that you cant get a hold of if you have a problem or that starts out cheap then comes back and says, sorry, for you the rates are higher, we made a mistake, like i've read happening... Thanks guys!!
For me they beat everyone else
Old 07-18-2013, 01:14 PM
gsxrguy84
Racer

I've been with USAA for 12 years since age 16. No complaints at all except that they don't insure motorcycles so my bike costs me an arm and a leg since its on a stand alone policy through their progressive partnership. Stupid bike is more expensive than the Vette. Easy to get a hold of them and its always someone in the USA that speaks english. Claims process has been painless as was getting an auto loan and they've always taken care of me.

Quick Reply: Those with USAA insurance?