C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with USAA insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 04:52 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm eligible for USAA but still have State Farm. I guess the reason is that I've had State Farm for years and are happy with the service they've given me, although they ARE expensive.

Not sure how USAA treats their policy holders, but it seems to be well based on the above statements. However, my son was hit by a USAA policy holder a few years ago so I know how they are from that perspective. My son was sitting at a red light; they policy holder rear-ended him and totaled his car. The guy was dialing his cell phone ....

USAA didn't try to deny fault, but only wanted to give me wholesale for his car. I told them I could not replace the car for wholesale, but that was their policy. So I called State Farm, and they paid under our collision policy, paid full retail, and then subrogated with USAA ... and won. About 6 months later I got the deductible back.

Several months ago, I t-boned an SUV that pulled in front of me, crossing a major highway. I had about 40 feet to stop from 55, and it totaled my Vette. State Farm immediately gave me full retail for my car, and then got their money back from the other insurance company (presumably ... I got my deductible back).

So I'm happy with State Farm. Not sure if USAA would give their policy holders full replacement for a policy holder's totaled car or not. If they don't, it's not worth what is saved.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:47 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Been a member for over 30 years.

They are not the cheapest and don't claim to be, but their customer service is TOP's in the industry.

Over the years, I have had other ins companies call me to solicit, and when I tell them I have USAA, they hang up...politely.

Back in the day, they ONLY insured military officers (and their families)...it was a smaller, lower risk, more exclusive "club". Service and rates were top-notch.

As USAA grew, they eventually opened up to ALL military members, and with more people insured (they are HUGE), there is inevitably going to be folks who are not always satisfied.

I have stayed with them because they have ALWAYS come through, whether with auto claims, homeowner claims, investment banking, etc..

Not the cheapest, but you usually get what you pay for..

Great company! All my kids have them and we are VERY satisfied.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:55 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

nj manufacturers ins. for me. have them for auto and home and never had a problem. just got my brother on for both, saved 6 hundred just on the auto end.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Mixedup
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Default 30 plus years

Originally Posted by MakoShark72
Been a member for over 30 years.

They are not the cheapest and don't claim to be, but their customer service is TOP's in the industry.

Over the years, I have had other ins companies call me to solicit, and when I tell them I have USAA, they hang up...politely.

Back in the day, they ONLY insured military officers (and their families)...it was a smaller, lower risk, more exclusive "club". Service and rates were top-notch.

As USAA grew, they eventually opened up to ALL military members, and with more people insured (they are HUGE), there is inevitably going to be folks who are not always satisfied.

I have stayed with them because they have ALWAYS come through, whether with auto claims, homeowner claims, investment banking, etc..

Not the cheapest, but you usually get what you pay for..

Great company! All my kids have them and we are VERY satisfied.

I've had them since my days in the USAF - as stated above rates use to be a little better vs comp - but remember you get what you pay for. Customer Service is TOPs - when my girls went through their first few years of driving and a few claims, USAA stuck by us ....

Also easy to deal with one financial company for loans, Auto, home, apt insurance, banking, investments, etc.

Only wish they insured homes in FL.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:08 PM
gguillie
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Usaa

Been with USAA for 36 years. They are not the lowest priced, but do offer great customer service, especially when you have a claim.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:18 PM
dozing4dollars
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Excellent insurance company

I have been insured with USAA for nearly 40 years. I have insured all of my cars, homes, boats, etc thru USAA. I have never had anything but EXCELLENT service from them.

Just recently, my area experienced a severe hail storm which extensively damaged my wife's SUV and pummeled my 4 year old roof on my house. Dealing with USAA on both of these claims was AWESOME ! Even the contractors who repaired the car and the house said that working with the USAA Adjustor's and their Claim Service Dept. was both excellent and easier than about any other company they deal with.

It is always good to compare rates among carrier's but make no mistake- a few dollars saved here or there means NOTHING when your property is damaged and you are seeking repair and remediation. It is an area USAA excels at-that is why you have insurance after all. The roofing contractor I used (the best in the area) would not even take a claim from a neighbor who had Xxxxx Xxxx insurance because his experience with them as a contractor has been so poor in the past.

Further, USAA will write policy limits most companies will not touch- e.g. $1 million dollar liability limits on home and auto, etc within the policy, without taking out a liability umbrella. Most max out at $500 thousand, etc.

Like any company, they have issues and are not perfect. If I wasn't going to keep USAA, I would definitely look at Amica. My sister and brother-in-law give them high marks. Check Consumer Reports ratings on all companies before you decide and query the top two or three for quotes and compare their policy holder ratings.

I do not think you would be unhappy with USAA. They have been great to me and my family.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:41 PM
p4snow
Burning Brakes

Received 453 Likes on 244 Posts

Was with Amica for 39 years and got a quote from USAA this year. Homeowners premium was the same but, auto coverage was $1,000 lower...so made the switch.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:52 PM
The Director
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had USAA auto insurance for 46 years. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best of the best. My rates are good and they've handled anything and everything I needed quickly and efficiently.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:23 PM
ezrider4u2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I've been with them just over 20 years-I have life, home, auto and a savings account through USAA. Have always received excellent service including during an incident where I was ran off the road by an older gentleman. No complaints, prices are reasonable when compared to other companies.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:42 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I figure that if they were good enough for Omar Bradley, then USAA is good enough for me.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Kreuzen
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Been with them for 25 years - IMO the quality of service is on the decline. Like others, striving to get a bigger piece of the market doesn't come without its sacrifices...service isn't what it use to be. Sad thing is, their situation is reflective of the market.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 869 Likes on 372 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

Been with USAA 25 years or more for auto and home. I've gotten quotes from other major companies, but once being in the insurance business, I knew they were "sweetheart" or "honeymoon" offers. They last a year or two and up they go. USAA service is the best there is.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:42 PM
Grant Elis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolips
I have been a USAA member since 1976. There was a time when no one could touch their rates and customer service. I had my cars insured with them until about 8 years ago. I started to get quotes from other insurance companies and found that USAA had become more expensive than many of their competitors. I still have my credit cards and life insurance with them, but I found much better rates for both car and home with other companies that have local insurance agents.
This is what I found!! Shop your insurance, never ever tell an agent what your other quotes are!! and compare apples to apples!! Bundle all of your insurance! I feel confident you are capable of this process and get the best deal you can.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:46 PM
mau
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Got a quote form usaa, it was about double my state farm policy.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I use to go with USAA for all my loan, banking and insurance needs. There are better loans out there. USAA will most likely match it to keep your business but I get tired calling them every time to match it so I gave up

Insurance is more expensive these days. It compares in price to Allstate's Platinum coverage but not in actual coverage. Allstate has multiple accidents, decreasing deductible, more likely to forgive one ticket (USAA will not) and Allstate will replace your car with a brand new one if it is less than 3 years old if it is totaled. Plus towing/roadside coverage also.

There are cheaper companies out there than Allstate or USAA but I wouldn't go with them since the one time you need them you'll basically be screwed.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:11 AM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys! My allstate policy is coming up for renewal in a month or two and i am anticipating a big jump in premiums from the past few renewal patterns. If that's the case i am going to shop around to all the major competitors and also the few that were mentioned here. I hope i'm wrong and I can still stay with allstate, but i'm a realist and think it's gonna rise.... Thank you!!
Old 07-17-2013, 07:22 AM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 514 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Great for me

Went to USAA in June 2012. Had State Farm for 9 years.
USAA Auto policy on 10 Lexus, 10 C6 vert and 07 Accord was $485/yr cheaper than SF, Homeowners was $380 cheaper than SF. My Umbrella policy was $40 more than SF. Saved almost $900 for the same coverage.
USAA customer rep told me to get competitive quotes anytime I felt they were raising my rates.
BTW, SF increased my insurance rates every year I was with them even though I never had a claim.

Get notified of new replies

To Those with USAA insurance?

Old 07-17-2013, 07:25 AM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

What kind of dividend checks do you get?

If I may ask

USAF
Old 07-17-2013, 09:00 AM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never had USAA insurance myself but my neighbor swears by them and I noticed an article on insurance in Consumer Reports in the last month or two that ranked USAA the highest.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Euthymicone
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We had auto and home insurance with USAA for over 40 years and loved them. We went to another company because of a rental cabin we purchased. USAA did not want to cover a log home, so we changed all of our insurance due to a great package deal with another company. We recently sold the cabin and just transferred everything back to USAA. Glad to be back. Customer service is top notch----believe me we did not have that with the other company. We'll stay with them for the duration.

Quick Reply: Those with USAA insurance?