C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pretty sure I got ripped off by the dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 11:07 PM
St.Char
Melting Slicks

Received 283 Likes on 167 Posts

Its possible that your new battery may not have had a full charge on it when you bought it. This is a very common problem, always have a load test when the battery is new, or you can purchase the battery tender plus and it will not only maintain a charge but will top it off for you too.

Mine is hooked up whenever the car is sitting over night, regardless of the season. Hope your seat is working just like before
Old 07-12-2013, 12:16 AM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

5 hours to find a 10 AMP power draw? That's just plain crazy. Was it that techs first day on the job?

I can see it maybe taking 5 hours to find a small and intermittent power drain, maybe.

$1800 for a short in the power seat is outrageous. How about just unplugging the power seat from all power sources and calling you to see how you want to proceed?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:44 AM
JOEMC08C6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warren s
5 hours to find a 10 AMP power draw? That's just plain crazy. Was it that techs first day on the job?

I can see it maybe taking 5 hours to find a small and intermittent power drain, maybe.

$1800 for a short in the power seat is outrageous. How about just unplugging the power seat from all power sources and calling you to see how you want to proceed?
It's very outrageous, but my bet is that they're going to charge you the diagnostic time even if they don't fix it.

It's time to buy a set of the manuals if you've got the electrical and the mechanical savvy. For a lot of things that aren't too technical if you at least have some skills you can save some dough!

Course, you may need some tools, but doing it yourself can sometimes pay for them, too. Lot of knowledge on the forum also!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:55 AM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinky...

Tell that to some of the A techs that do good work in dealerships across the country and they'll laugh you out of the building.
you know what. you're probably right. there are a few. but not enought to go around. too many stories of untrained techs doing more harm than good. i just noticed sloppy work at the dealer. not inviting especially after dropping so much cash on a new car.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:52 AM
Gerdia
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would call chevy and ask for assistance in paying the bill. Since it was a fire hazard they should fork up some money.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:07 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ask to see the techs training records.
Ask to see the techs repair order shop copy with time stamps to see how much time he flagged on the job.

Some techs can get to the problem quickly and some techs can spend a few hours to diagnose the same problem. A smart tech will use strategy based diagnoses. If the power seat switch was stuck (shorted closed) then one of the 3 power seat motors would be warm. That sort of makes diagnose easy.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:59 AM
richard emmanuel
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default stealership

I remeber years ago my diesel silverado went in and needed a battery. Well we all know most diesels use 2 batteries. They tried to charge me 400.00 for 2 new batteries. I told them, one battery was still under warranty so they said it would be 200.00 I asked them why so much it was not a red top battery. They said there was a 50.00 installation fee. I was like wow. So regardless of the warranty or situation the dealership makes momney. I told them Auto Zone and others install free and the same battery is half. Of course I jumped started the truck and went to Advance Auto. Total price 89.99
Richard
Old 07-12-2013, 05:57 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

At the very least I would go back to the dealer and give that service manager an "F" bomb laden triad that would make even a sailor blush!!!

Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I never take mine to a dealer ship,they are 25%-50% higher than my regular mechanic who I trust with all my rides.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:51 AM
ydeer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The aduster switch Part# 10325876 can be bought from" Parts Taxi " for $71 plus shipping. Can change it in 15 to 20 min.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:02 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Common practice amongst GM dealer service. They see a corvette owner like blood in the water for sharks. I hate GM service with a passion. You sir got ripped off big time.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:25 AM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by martinf55
If he said that the seat motor could cause a fire then that is a safety issue that maybe other vettes have and may be a recall issue. If you have on paper that this is what they found then I would have said to fix it for free or let the car catch fire then sue the pants off of them.
Why would they fix it for free?
If it is not under a warranty or service plan they should not have to fix it for free.While I agree it sounds way to high,but it is ridiculous to think it should be fixed for free or "let the car catch fire" and risk your life or burn down your home just to make a point.
I would not want to "sue the pants off " any service manager or tech.I would not be interested in seeing them wthout pants.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:42 AM
hdkeno
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude
When you leave it with them and tell them to fix it, you just wrote the check. I always tell them that if it will exceed $XX dollars call me for approval to proceed. That seems hellatiously high in my opinion.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:51 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Diagnostic times you're stuck with. @100 bucks an hour or so, it is ridicules but, you're stuck with it. But $800 in parts! That seems to be outrageous! I know they mark them up a lot, but still what the hell is an "adjuster"? The whole electric system for the seat?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I was a service writer for 5 years. As far as book time goes there are provisions for extra labor hours to locate and repair a short. We used to have to get our techs more time especially on electrical warranty issues.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:10 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default sometimes you have to bite the bullet

If your car is fixed just move on.

I learned early in life that if you can't do it yourself PAY AN EXPERT. Where else were you going to take your car, a tire store ? please. When you have something weird like that and you can't figure it out the dealer is usually your best bet. They have the resources to repair it and their techs have right to make a living also.

I agree that the VETTE TAX is alive but is is WAY LESS THAN OTHERS. Take a breath and just move on.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:24 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Sucks...I would have never taken it in to a dealer because of stories like this

Get notified of new replies

To Pretty sure I got ripped off by the dealer...

Old 07-12-2013, 01:45 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by lordofwar
this is why I buy new cars with a warrenty,and when the warrenty goes I trade the car.

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
At the very least I would go back to the dealer and give that service manager an "F" bomb laden triad that would make even a sailor blush!!!

I like your style.

Originally Posted by truckplay

I learned early in life that if you can't do it yourself PAY AN EXPERT. Where else were you going to take your car, a tire store ? please. When you have something weird like that and you can't figure it out the dealer is usually your best bet. They have the resources to repair it and their techs have right to make a living also.

I agree that the VETTE TAX is alive but is is WAY LESS THAN OTHERS. Take a breath and just move on.
I agree. Too bad 99.99% of techs at a GM garage are not experts.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:52 PM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615
Why would they fix it for free?
If it is not under a warranty or service plan they should not have to fix it for free.While I agree it sounds way to high,but it is ridiculous to think it should be fixed for free or "let the car catch fire" and risk your life or burn down your home just to make a point.
I would not want to "sue the pants off " any service manager or tech.I would not be interested in seeing them without pants.
GM will sometimes fix things even though the warranty has expired. At least, in my own mind, there is an implied warranty that somethings won't/shouldn't break. You would not expect a seat malfunction to potentially cause a fire, a frame to break in two, or a manifold to crack; yet the manifold in my Pontiac Fiero did crack in the 80's. I requested that they help me out and split the cost. The service manager just laughed and sneered. He even incorrectly stated that I didn't buy it there, so why should they help at all?

I called Detroit and spoke to a GM representative, who started a file on my car. GM agreed to pay half of the $880 bill at the time. The dealership's very arrogant service manager was pissed. I had the car fixed and GM threw in a free tune-up. Sometime later, GM decided to issue a recall notice on that problem, and they refunded all that I paid.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:16 PM
NYC-Style
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by truckplay

I agree...I guess I've been fortunate that the vette techs at my dealership are good guys. But the bottomline is your car is fixed...and now you can go out and enjoy it!!

Quick Reply: Pretty sure I got ripped off by the dealer...