C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DoD Personnel Listed on GM Export Listing

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:00 PM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default DoD Personnel Cannot Purchase a New Corvette if They Shipped a Corvette Overseas

I've been told by Kerbeck Corvette Forum dealer that my name is listed on GM Export Listing! Therefore, I can't purchase a new Corvette from his dealership without GM District Sales Manager approval.

Has anyone heard of military members being placed on GM Export Listing/Manifest because they shipped their Corvette to their overseas duty station?

My situation: I've purchased a Corvette from a Corvette Forum member two years ago then shipped the car overseas for my personal use. BTW...I'm American living abroad and working for DoD.

Yes, I still own my Corvette! My intent: Purchase a new Corvette for my Son which is living in USA.

Last edited by RobVette; 08-12-2013 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-11-2013, 05:11 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

is your son on the list too? problem solved if he isn't. put it in his name and co sign the note, then make the payments.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:14 PM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

So if you shipped a Corvette from USA to overseas (your duty station); then you're listed on GM Export Listing/Manifest.

Therefore, you cannot purchase a new Corvette!

My question; "Is GM penalizing DoD personnel for working overseas for Uncle Sam?" Maybe this CF dealer is pulling my leg?"

Last edited by RobVette; 07-11-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:17 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm sure that "GM District Sales Manager approval" is the key here. They probably don't want you to make a living exporting cars. Talk to the District Sales Manager, explain the situation, and all will be good.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:17 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OP's intent is probably rooted in the current $2K discount for current Corvette owners.

My advice for OP would be go ahead and ask for the District Manager's approval. they want to move these cars. I have had cars in different locations in the past. I'm sure a number of us have. Just be willing to follow-up on any "discount or I will walk away" threats.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:32 PM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by florida john
OP's intent is probably rooted in the current $2K discount for current Corvette owners.
My advice for OP would be go ahead and ask for the District Manager's approval. they want to move these cars. I have had cars in different locations in the past. I'm sure a number of us have. Just be willing to follow-up on any "discount or I will walk away" threats.
Loyalty discount is $3K

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
I'm sure that "GM District Sales Manager approval" is the key here. They probably don't want you to make a living exporting cars. Talk to the District Sales Manager, explain the situation, and all will be good.
He refused to release the District Sales Manager contact information. He said that he would contact him or her since it's been two days.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:56 PM
APACHEDR1V3R
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RobVette
I've been told by a Corvette Forum dealer that my name is listed on GM Export Listing! Therefore, I can't purchase a new Corvette from his dealership without GM District Sales Manager approval.

Has anyone heard of GM Export Listing/Manifest?

My situation: I've purchased a Corvette from a Corvette Forum member then shipped the car overseas for my personal use. BTW...I'm American living abroad and working for DoD.

Yes, I still own my Corvette! My intent: Purchase a new Corvette for my Son which is living in USA.
I can't remember the specifics anymore but about 12 years ago, I bought a new Harley while in Korea thru AAFES. In a conversation with the salesman, he mentioned Harley would put a buyers' name on a similar listing if they transferred ownership within 2 years of purchasing a new bike.
They'd actually bar you from future purchases of a new HD. This was their way of stopping DoD buyers from making money or saving money for others by purchasing for them through the AAFES program.

Sounds like GM has a similar policy and is translating the transfer overseas as a possible sale by you.

I hope this gets resolved for you soon.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:14 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

OPs problem probably has a lot to do with agreements between our government and the German Govt. I'm sure GM Europe had something to say about it also since a base C6 in Germany is about 200% what you pay in the US.

Your Vette should be registered under the US system there though so I wonder how GM US even found out about it. Maybe at the export port.

The DSM should be able to say you are not exporting Vettes illegally and allow the sale though. However I wouldn't recommend your son moving overseas with it any time soon.

I don't know why the worry about it so much. I attempted to sell a 96 Trans Am over there with the help from my Germany friend. I would not make money from the sale since Germans must convert it to Eurospec and get it approved by the TUV.

I do want to go back to Germany someday though and plan on bringing my Vette if I do.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:57 PM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Everyone that i've talked to about GM Export Listing; seems to think it's ridiculous for military personnel to be added to GM database.

Supposedly, you can't purchase a new vette if your name is listed.

How can i contact GM District Sales Manager? Or who should i speak with since the dealer is being silent?

Last edited by RobVette; 07-15-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:37 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Everyone that i've talked to about GM Export Listing; seems to think it's ridiculous for military personnel to be added to GM database.

Supposedly, you can't purchase a new vette if your name is listed.

How can i contact GM District Sales Manager? Or who should i speak with since the dealer is being silent?
If it's that big of a pain in the *** already, I would go to a different dealer. Dealer's should be willing to give out their GM's info if you ask for it, and it sounds like if what you are explaining is true it would be cleared up very quickly. Send them a postcard standing by your new Vette after you buy it from a competitor dealer
Old 07-15-2013, 08:10 PM
TEAM.GEAUX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, I would contact GM corporate for an answer if you are able to.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Contact the GM person on the forum
Old 07-16-2013, 07:17 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Why bother with this dealer any more? Find a new one who is interested in selling a car. There are several forum dealers here that I'm sure would be willing to do everything they can to help you buy a car. Sounds like you're dealing with a dealer who has no interest in selling because they either have too few to make it worth the extra effort or they think you won't be chained to their service department.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:46 AM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TEAM.GEAUX
OP, I would contact GM corporate for an answer if you are able to.
How?

Originally Posted by Boozman
Contact the GM person on the forum
Originally Posted by slickstick
If it's that big of a pain in the *** already, I would go to a different dealer. Dealer's should be willing to give out their GM's info if you ask for it, and it sounds like if what you are explaining is true it would be cleared up very quickly. Send them a postcard standing by your new Vette after you buy it from a competitor dealer
Eventually, I will do that!

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Why bother with this dealer any more? Find a new one who is interested in selling a car. There are several forum dealers here that I'm sure would be willing to do everything they can to help you buy a car. Sounds like you're dealing with a dealer who has no interest in selling because they either have too few to make it worth the extra effort or they think you won't be chained to their service department.
I've already started contacting other CF vendors. Since Kerbeck has been a pain in the REAR END!

My Question; "How do i contact the GM Corvette Forum Rep?"

I've been dealing Kerbeck Corvette Forum dealer.

Last edited by RobVette; 07-16-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:54 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

How?

Eventually, I will do that!

I've already started contacting other CF vendors. Since Kerbeck has been a pain in the REAR END!

My Question; "How do i contact the GM Corvette Forum Rep?"

I've been dealing Kerbeck Corvette Forum dealer.
contact GM Customer Service at phone number in your owner's manual
Old 07-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Hey RobVette,

You can PM us on the forum, email at socialmedia@gm.com, or call at 1-800-222-1020.

Marissa
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-12-2013, 05:06 AM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
He's 100% correct, we could not sell him a car. GM keeps a list of known exporters and every time a GM dealer sells a car they are supposed to check that list to make sure the customer isn't on there.

If a dealer sells a car to someone on that list and that car should end up out of the country, that dealer is looking at some serious penalties. Not only will they be charged back all of the rebate money, they can also be penalized with loss of allocation and the factory can go so far as losing their franchise.

It's nothing personal against him because he was a really nice guy, but why would any dealer take the chance of selling a car to someone on the list knowing the risks and penalties?

I'm glad he got the car and I hope he enjoys it!

Dave

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewasp
Very weird. I was overseas for the military and bought a new Chevy truck which I shipped overseas. If he can get a usaa auto loan then he has to be military and not an exporter. I understand the car is leaving the country but the car should have military plates and usaa auto insurance.

I think you guys lost a sale. He's going to register it with US military, military plates, usaa auto insurance, etc... Valid I'd card, APO address, status of forces agreement, full military support, etc...

If he registered the car with the German government he would have to pay all the import taxes, change the lights, mirrors, etc... Seems like a big hassle and major $$$$

I must have shipped 5 cars over and I shipped my vette twice. If you run a Carfax on the vette is shows 'EXPORT' twice but really not since I registered it with the US military.

I wonder if I'm on that list!

This story makes no sense. Sounds like kerbeck doesn't have an understanding of military folks overseas.

What is the deal??
-------------------------------------????????????????????????????????

My comment: This is very weird because I've explained my DoD working situation (working for US Army) to Dave and Kerbeck mgr. Also I informed them that i still own/have the Corvette that i shipped to Germany which is registered with the American military.

My comment for Kerbeck; "Please share GM District Manager response to approving or disapproving the sale" Since you kept me on hold seeking or supposedly seeking GM approval.

________________________________________ _______________________
:fla g:

Bottom-Line: Kerbeck didn't support selling a new Corvette to DoD American station overseas. To make matters worst; they didn't respond or comment on their conversation with the GM District Manager.

Corvette Forum Members - Your thoughts!!!

BTW....I did purchased from another CF dealer.

Get notified of new replies

To DoD Personnel Listed on GM Export Listing

Old 08-12-2013, 05:31 AM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

For this fellow to not be able to get this car makes me sick. F'ing deployed vs. IC work and he cannot get a flagship car for the country he provides services for...sounds communist to me.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:05 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

I want to see how this plays out good luck call 1-800-222-1020 and see what chev has to say.
z51vett
Doug
Old 08-12-2013, 07:59 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

You would think dealer/GM should be able to fix this pretty quick. Heck the OP didn't even buy the Corvette in question directly from GM.

It really isn't that great of a deal for someone to sell a German a US spec Corvette anyway. They have to pay around 40% in tax (VAT, tariff), plus convert it to Euro Specs (glass, lights), then register it. That is why the price of a new one over there from GM Europe is around $100k for a new decent optioned GS. Germans can save some buying used if the car is sold at US used prices but with no warranty.

Military couldn't even buy a new Corvette from AAFES when I was over there in the 90s.

Quick Reply: DoD Personnel Listed on GM Export Listing