Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 07-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
EuroRod
CF Senior Member

Default *&^%$@!?$!

I've had my carbon fiber splitter on the car for ONE $#@!*%#! WEEK.

I've been very careful.

Last night I got in a position where I had to traverse a slightly up hill driveway. Creeping at .0001 mph, I heard the splitter touch the drive, so I backed up, and entered from a different entrance.

I'm saying that the "scrape" was barely (and I'm not exaggerating) audible,

Parked the car and inspected the splitter. No scrape marks, but the GD splitter is cracked.

I am PIZZED OFF.

EuroRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
davidtcpa
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Yep. You have tone careful. I could not have my splitter as I do if it was not so flat in Florida. I scrap my side skirts on speed bumps and inclines all the time.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE
davidtcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
noz34me
CF Senior Member

I'm sure that's why the OE part is rubber- - not trying to be a smartass, but why would you put something that low on the car that can't bend? All the carbon fiber pieces I've seen are pretty stiff.
noz34me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
C6RaceCar
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroRod View Post
I've had my carbon fiber splitter on the car for ONE $#@!*%#! WEEK.

I've been very careful.

Last night I got in a position where I had to traverse a slightly up hill driveway. Creeping at .0001 mph, I heard the splitter touch the drive, so I backed up, and entered from a different entrance.

I'm saying that the "scrape" was barely (and I'm not exaggerating) audible,

Parked the car and inspected the splitter. No scrape marks, but the GD splitter is cracked.

I am PIZZED OFF.

Im not sure on gods green earth why anyone would ever purchase with actual money one of these CF splitters you are talking about. Seriously man, did you think that out of the how many corvettes sold, that yours would be one that would never scrape on something??? Sorry, but you will get no mercy from anyone here. We all go through splitters and airdams like we change our oil.

So you learned your lesson. Please dont repeat the lesson again with a new splitter.
C6RaceCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
sjohnson2615
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noz34me View Post
I'm sure that's why the OE part is rubber- - not trying to be a smartass, but why would you put something that low on the car that can't bend? All the carbon fiber pieces I've seen are pretty stiff.

I am not trying to be a smartass either,but what did you expect?
I don't understand why someone would want to make their car undrivable on public roads by adding things like this or lowering them to the point you can't even drive it without destroying something.
Do people with lowered cars have to map out where they go in advance to make sure the roads are smooth and flat with no bumps?
Are looks really that important over driveability?
sjohnson2615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
N2TU
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok...I for one feel bad for you....but gheesh what do you expect?

Those splitters are millimeters off the ground...and what performance improvement did you see?....

You may be pizzed off but.....
N2TU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
EuroRod
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6RaceCar View Post
Im not sure on gods green earth why anyone would ever purchase with actual money one of these CF splitters you are talking about. Seriously man, did you think that out of the how many corvettes sold, that yours would be one that would never scrape on something??? Sorry, but you will get no mercy from anyone here. We all go through splitters and airdams like we change our oil.

So you learned your lesson. Please dont repeat the lesson again with a new splitter.
Oh......... I've learned my lesson. And it will be an expensive one, as I will have to repair the holes in the front fascia, and repaint.
The car sits at stock height, and the rubber spoiler under the chin scrapes all the time, too. Those are fairly inexpensive to replace, but this $#@!(*^ thin, pos part should have a federal warning with it.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Luster
CF Senior Member

I have a very steep driveway. I also have a splitter and a 1.25" drop on stock bolts. The only way to avoid cracked splitter syndrome is to use this method. I actually get both passenger side tires on the grass before starting my turn. Backing out is the same way... 2 tires in the grass. Same for any speedbumps, inclines of any kind. Take them SIDEWAYS. (And try to avoid road kill. )

Last edited by Luster; 07-11-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
wayback
CF Senior Member

Sorry about the splitter. That is one reason I never wanted to put one on my car (my car is lowered btw).

Gone but not forgotten:
1969 coupe custom gold and brown metalic
2000 c5 coupe VR/red
2005 c6 coupe 3lt VR/Cashmere
2006 Monty Red/ Cashmere/Beige Vert 2lt
wayback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
EuroRod
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
I have a very steep driveway. I also have a splitter and a 1.5" drop on stock bolts. The only way to avoid cracked splitter syndrome is to use this method. I actually get both passenger side tires on the grass before starting my turn. Backing out is the same way... 2 tires in the grass. Same for any speedbumps, inclines of any kind. Take them SIDEWAYS.

Been using this technique for years, too.
The impact that resulted in the crack did not even leave a scrape mark on the splitter. It just popped it, I guess?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
Luster
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroRod View Post
Been using this technique for years, too.
The impact that resulted in the crack did not even leave a scrape mark on the splitter. It just popped it, I guess?
Yeah, I'm just waiting for the time when I get zapped.

Too bad none of the vendors make a splitter out of the same material that the air dam is made of (polyurethane/plastic?). It may not look quite as good, but the durability would be great.

Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
pokerpro
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry to hear your splitter is damaged but I can tell you from experience that you will never have a problem with it if you relocate to sunny warm no snow no ice paradise FL. Where's the bad in that?
pokerpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #13
Double D Mods
Supporting Vendor
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Location: Kieler, Wi www.doubledmods.com www.doubledmodsII.com
Double D Mods

That's why I painted my stock splitter Cyber Gray...
Sorry to hear of your troubles
Double D Mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #14
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow I feel for you
peter pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #15
jimmie jam
CF Senior Member

So much for that "strong" carbon fiber. Or, is it faux?
jimmie jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #16
NormWild
CF Senior Member

Been contemplating putting a splitter on and side skirts for years now, but haven't for this exact reason. $600-700 lessons are not the type I like to learn. Good luck with the repair, and I for one can sympathize with you. I worry about enough stuff everytime I take it out, don't need another.

2007 Z51 3LT C6 M6 Coupe
Vortech V3 T-Trim (A&A)
605 whp/565 wtq FI
NormWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #17
JC7
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohnson2615 View Post

I don't understand why someone would want to make their car undrivable on public roads by adding things like this or lowering them to the point you can't even drive it without destroying something.
Do people with lowered cars have to map out where they go in advance to make sure the roads are smooth and flat with no bumps?
JC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #18
JC7
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D Mods View Post
That's why I painted my stock splitter Cyber Gray...
Sorry to hear of your troubles
Good idea! Stock is fine cheap to replace if you have too!
JC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
89L98
CF Senior Member

CF splitter/side skirts? What do you expect. Also, LOL at those lowering the Car. My GS is stock height/body wise. And, I am constantly watching where I drive.
89L98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #20
LFZ
CF Senior Member

Quote:

No maps, but I do know how to avoid trouble. For example, I will pick a gas station that has a flat entrance vs. one with an inclined apron of some sort. Avoid areas and parking lots with speedbumps; however, those really are not that bad, unless they are abnormally tall. My subframe on my daily driver is 2.5" off the ground, so I suppose I'm accustomed to the driving style. All in all its really not that as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Just have to be more alert. In actuality, even at stock height, I drove the same way.

Quote:
Both are important to me, and as low as I am, there is no compromise in driveablity. You just have to know how to drive a lowered vehicle. I really don't scrape the splitter, and have had no issues other than minor rubbing at the wheel well liners during hard driving in mountains, track, etc.

The most dramatic and aggressive improvement you can make on a C6 is to lower it.
LFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:25 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page *&^%$@!?$!