C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After market nav head unit & backup cam reviews

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 08:52 AM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 549 Likes on 263 Posts
USN

I got my Panasonic unit with back up camera from Dennis at DDMod on this forum. Both the unit and he have been better than I could have hoped for.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:21 AM
cduckworth
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a note that if you own a convertible, the glare really is pretty bad if you have the top down. The Pioneer also has the tilt feature; you get the choice of either bad glare or really bad glare. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice unit in many respects, but don't count of seeing the screen for anything (back-up camera, navigation, etc.) if the top is down. I do not know if other brands are as bad.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:36 PM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why a Nav unit and that expense? Wouldn't it be just as easy using a DVD HU?
Old 07-11-2013, 12:55 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

I originally had mounted my rear camera low like yours by the exhaust. The camera got too hot too touch so I moved it back to above the plate. Let me know how your camera holds up over time.

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
I had a Pioneer AVIC Z2 put in my 08 a few days after I bought it (May 08). I love it but I had to buy an adapter for everything, XM, Steering Wheel Controls, Chirps, etc. I had two small toggle switches installed in the lower left of the dash. One to tell the unit it was in reverse and the other switch to tell which camera. Also the steering wheel control under the right thumb I had set to mute. I do track events and was tired of hitting the button with my thumb and changing the source. The Z2 has a Vehicle Dynamics mode that will hold lateral acceleration and speed. When in this mode and the source is changed it changes the view.

Also this unit will copy CD's to a hard drive, I think I have 70+ copied. Allows you to search by artist or album. I think I read somewhere that you can copy over 200 CD's.

What I don't like is the fact that the GPS is not Garmin based like a Kenwood unit. I have driven accross country many times and the GPS performed very well.

I am currently on the east coast and the Z06 is on the west coast so I can't post any pictures. The front camera is at the top of the black grill and the rear camera is between the mufflers. The front camera is used when parking. I can pull up to a curb and stop 1/2" away.

Update: I found a picture of the front and rear cameras...

Old 10-04-2013, 08:15 PM
number10
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put in the Kenwood DNX890HD and would rate it as just OK. The Nav itself is good although there a noticeable delay when typing in an address. The XM part is sub par-signal loss is frequent and the volume level is horrible, less than half the HD radio. You also must provide/install new voice speaker and GPS antenna. I can't understand why the stock stuff couldn't be reused.

I haven't had any experience with the thumb drive issues because I don't use that function. The unit is not 100% compatible with an IPhone, strange things happen depending on usage.

I'm continuing to look for something a bit better, I don't think the Kenwood is worth it's price.

Quick Reply: After market nav head unit & backup cam reviews