C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked my car. Long story

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:55 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I still have some faith. A few days ago, I started a thread called "The Thread".

As expected, the usual bunch of miscreants showed up with their infentile comments and insults.

However, slowly, a few adults have come around, and some interesting discussion is beginning to emirge. A few have found interest in photography, etc. I have no idea if this thread will last but if it does, it will be a place where adults can go for a chat on most any subject.

If it dies, it dies, but it is worth a try.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:41 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by darbn
Its not nice to spy on people.
What can I say ?

I have an Uncle In Law in the NSA.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:44 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Hameister
I still have some faith. A few days ago, I started a thread called "The Thread".

As expected, the usual bunch of miscreants showed up with their infentile comments and insults.

However, slowly, a few adults have come around, and some interesting discussion is beginning to emirge. A few have found interest in photography, etc. I have no idea if this thread will last but if it does, it will be a place where adults can go for a chat on most any subject.

If it dies, it dies, but it is worth a try.
I will check out that thread. Hopefully I won't cheapen it.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
I will check out that thread. Hopefully I won't cheapen it.

From what I've seen of your posts, that would be impossible!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:22 PM
JoeBrownToolGuy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pictures look like a total

the links to the pictures looks like a total.
sorry to see such a nice car smashed. gives you a reason to shop for a new one I guess.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:35 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
Really? Against the laws of physics?

If he hit the embankment doing 26 mph, which he could have if he hit the gas in the corner, and I account for some losses, the car could have been airborne for as much as 1.5 seconds, by my calculations. That is plenty of time to spin the car around.

Please let us know your analysis of the physics involved.

If + If = could have been

So your losses take in to account what factors? Was the road completely flat? How long is the ramp? At what degree is the car launched? At what speed did the car really hit the bottom of the ramp? How did he get traction after spinning out? He would have been going 26, lost traction (means loss of actual vehicle speed), then hit the gas while in a low traction spin, somehow gained traction and got back up to speed? Distance from spin to ramp? Im just making sure I have every piece of the puzzle here. Air time would include things such as speed, launch angle, and how much distance from the top of the ramp to the landing area, correct?

I havent gone back to the start of the thread so I am going off memory so if my memory is wrong please dont go off on me

The spin happened at 26 in mid corner, correct?

You and others are correct though about what the mind remembers. Sometimes you think you had a hottie and when you find old pictures you realize she was more of a girl you grab at closing time.

Originally Posted by LOWLONGFASTZX10
Last time time I did doughnuts in my car it was going way less than 26mph. Just sayin....It doesn't take a lot of speed to spin the back of theses cars around. The first thing I usually do is turn off the traction control. The last thing I want is the car taking over when I'm countering the skid. Once the suspension unloads and the tires grip it acts like a slingshot. I know the op and was not on the run but I guarantee he was not showing off. I am fortunate enough to own my car early in life and I do beat on it regularly.
You may not have been moving that fast but your rear tires were.

Originally Posted by JoeBrownToolGuy
the links to the pictures looks like a total.
sorry to see such a nice car smashed. gives you a reason to shop for a new one I guess.
I feel for him in that its going to show up on a report and he will always know it was damaged. It also sucks he cant get diminished value on it. Its all around a bad situation.

OP, if you get it fixed and want to keep it your best bet would be to keep it for a very long time. Your other option is to dump it and lose some money out of pocket right now. It sucks, I have been there and feel your pain. Not sure about you but I cant stand going in my garage and seeing a vehicle that I wrecked and had fixed. It pisses me off in the worst way.

Do you trust the body shop doing the repairs? Also, if you can, dont let them use aftermarket stuff. Instead I would shop for good parts off a wrecked car and that way you still have GM body panels. I was able to source all the parts from one Corvette salvage yard. It was actually cheaper too. Is the check being made out to you or the body shop? If so I would have it made out to you, that way they dont get anything till the job is done and you are happy with the work. Its your car, make sure they fix it the way you want it. Do not take it back unless it is to your liking. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
If + If = could have been

So your losses take in to account what factors? Was the road completely flat? How long is the ramp? At what degree is the car launched? At what speed did the car really hit the bottom of the ramp? How did he get traction after spinning out? He would have been going 26, lost traction (means loss of actual vehicle speed), then hit the gas while in a low traction spin, somehow gained traction and got back up to speed? Distance from spin to ramp? Im just making sure I have every piece of the puzzle here. Air time would include things such as speed, launch angle, and how much distance from the top of the ramp to the landing area, correct?

I havent gone back to the start of the thread so I am going off memory so if my memory is wrong please dont go off on me

The spin happened at 26 in mid corner, correct?
I'm assuming the car's vertical velocity was less than 26 mph. Something like 16 mph is what I used, I think.

Still waiting to see your calculations...

Sorry, it is one of my pet peeves when someone says something is against the laws of physics when they don't really know. There are too many unknowns for you to say it is against the laws of physics.

Last edited by Tonylmiller; 07-08-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
I'm assuming the car's vertical velocity was less than 26 mph. Something like 16 mph is what I used, I think.

Still waiting to see your calculations...

Sorry, it is one of my pet peeves when someone says something is against the laws of physics when they don't really know. There are too many unknowns for you to say it is against the laws of physics.
And you have assumed way too much. Which is one of my pet peeves. I shouldnt have said it is against the laws of physics. It is however very highly unlikely. The way you describe how it could have happen, then yes, it is possible. The information he provided? I dont believe so.

It is possible for me to shoot a wing off a fly at 1 mile with my single shot .22, right? I can put down a flow chart of the steps it takes me to get Natalie Portman in my bed but I have a better chance of seeing God riding a Honda Dream down the streets of LA while singing "California Girls".

My biggest concern would be having it fixed correctly. Still I would want the check made out to me, not the body shop.

Last edited by TLS_Addict; 07-08-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:08 PM
brettbolt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
My biggest concern would be having it fixed correctly. Still I would want the check made out to me, not the body shop.
I agree that at this point its all about getting it fixed properly.

However, I would be concerned about hidden damage that they will find once they get into the repair. If the ins. wrote him a check now, I don't think he would be covered for additional costs. Or am I wrong about that?

The reason I think thats important is the possibility of a bent frame. The O.P. mentioned earlier that his window pillars don't line up.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:58 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

The insurance company would have to either decide if its worth fixing the rest of the issues or if they want to total it out.

They are on the hook if the estimate was too low for things that were not seen. Doesnt matter who the check is made out to.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:26 PM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
As long as you're ok. The car can be replaced.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:20 PM
paganharley
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

They have issued me a check in my name. They dont get it if they dont show me what they took off. Also, I want them to put it up on a lift so I can see what the underside might be hiding.

Any helpful info is most appreciated.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:04 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,426 Likes on 774 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I would not have accepted a check until I saw what was underneath. From the looks of the pics, I'd almost guarantee suspension damage.

I would have never thought impacting a deer would have broken my upper control arm but it did.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-09-2013, 08:12 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Originally Posted by paganharley
They have issued me a check in my name. They dont get it if they dont show me what they took off. Also, I want them to put it up on a lift so I can see what the underside might be hiding.

Any helpful info is most appreciated.
Good deal. Just make sure if you see anything that is buckled that you alert your insurance company at once. Also, cracks in plastic are another area, if suspension bits look bent or even scraped have them checked out.

Smart thing asking for all the parts that they take off (I have done the same thing).
Old 07-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

I will be amazed if that car isn't totaled. Please let us know.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

He tore the front and rear bumpers off and damaged some wheels. $6000 damage. It mustn't take much to amaze you.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
He tore the front and rear bumpers off and damaged some wheels. $6000 damage. It mustn't take much to amaze you.

I'm thinking it's much worse than that, but it would not be the first time I was wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To Wrecked my car. Long story

Old 07-09-2013, 08:12 PM
AddisonD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The irony of this thread is too rich to be missed. Since joining this forum before even buying my vette, i have read countless posts and entire threads about how easily the back end of these cars will break loose and go sideways. When someone in those discussions posts that they never have that problem, the replies are generally along the lines of saying that the person must be some sort of sissy driver. And god forbid that you try to accelerate with the wheels turned, or that you might try to turn the car in rain or cold.

Now we have an honest guy giving us the particulars of how easily his car went sideways due to poor traction and changing surfaces. That original post agrees with all the many, many posts about the back end loosing traction, and yet there are plentiful responses to suggest, or flatly state, that the guy was driving more aggressively than he should.

Sheesh, a decidedly tough and unpredictable crowd, and a little hypocritical from time to time. Nonetheless, this remains a great forum to chat, learn, and ogle some great looking cars. In the end, I mainly hope I keep mine between the curbs and headed down the road; and that p-harley has a decent and fast insurance experience.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AddisonD
The irony of this thread is too rich to be missed...
You may want to read my post #71.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by AddisonD
The irony of this thread is too rich to be missed. Since joining this forum before even buying my vette, i have read countless posts and entire threads about how easily the back end of these cars will break loose and go sideways. When someone in those discussions posts that they never have that problem, the replies are generally along the lines of saying that the person must be some sort of sissy driver. And god forbid that you try to accelerate with the wheels turned, or that you might try to turn the car in rain or cold.

Now we have an honest guy giving us the particulars of how easily his car went sideways due to poor traction and changing surfaces. That original post agrees with all the many, many posts about the back end loosing traction, and yet there are plentiful responses to suggest, or flatly state, that the guy was driving more aggressively than he should.

Sheesh, a decidedly tough and unpredictable crowd, and a little hypocritical from time to time. Nonetheless, this remains a great forum to chat, learn, and ogle some great looking cars. In the end, I mainly hope I keep mine between the curbs and headed down the road; and that p-harley has a decent and fast insurance experience.
100%
But I say the lesson we should learn, is that you must immediately lift
as soon as you've lost control AND slam on the brakes and hope for the best.

I don't know if that would have kept PaganH out of the bank, and maybe that's exactly what he did and still hit the bank. What say you, Pagan?

Quick Reply: Wrecked my car. Long story