C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is Chevy Doing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 09:46 AM
mracer14
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Curtain
Voted for whom? To re-elect G. W. Bush in 2004! I remind you it was the Bush administration along with a Republican controlled House and Senate that were overwhelmingly responsible for the "Great Recession" that is now 6 years old.
Need I remind you that Obama has be in office 5 years. If you want to point your finger,point it at Obama. The most unqualified President ever !!!
Old 06-30-2013, 09:47 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by Steel Curtain
Voted for whom? To re-elect G. W. Bush in 2004! I remind you it was the Bush administration along with a Republican controlled House and Senate that were overwhelmingly responsible for the "Great Recession" that is now 6 years old.
Keep drinking the cool-aid, but your facts be wrong
Old 06-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by glenB
An old guy trying to relive his youth = old guys car

This isn't a strike against you personally, but your statement is what makes the Corvette an 'old guys' car
While I understand the stereotype, much of the animosity towards older 'vette owners, is nothing more than plain old fashioned jealousy.

It really pisses off some folks in their 20s, & 30s, who drool over Corvettes, to see a 65 year old guy driving a gorgeous new Corvette that he cannot afford.

They don't bother me at all. I worked hard all my life, and now I can afford what ever I want. I'll buy a new 'vette every 2 years if I want, and that really tweaks 'em.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:55 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 559 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Times they are a changin'. Economy has been bad for 5 years and will only get worse unless we make a hard turn. The Corvette was always a "rich" man's car. In 1970 when you could buy a new one for $5,000 it was VERY expensive. You could buy a very nice Pontiac GTO for $3,500. The GTO had 370hp and the Corvette was the same. They are different cars for different markets. Today's Camaro is competing with the Mustang for the youth who can't afford a Corvette. The ZR1 is for those who have plenty of money to spare. The base Corvette is for those who are a little more cost conscious and the Camaro is for those who will have to scrimp to make the loan payments. In a few years the Camaro will cost $100K new, the base Corvette $150K, and the ZR1 (if there is one which is very doubtful) will be $250K. That's what the American people said they wanted when they voted.
Well said Al.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:04 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

I would suspect a high percentage of us are either current or former Camaro/Firebird owners that moved up to the Corvette.

For allot of folks their journey to Vette ownership started the first time they got behind the wheel of Camaro/Firebird, and as they got older, and had more income they were able to replace one with a newer and nicer one.

Next thing you know, your kids a grown, and with life's good fortune you have the money to move up to a Corvette. To be clear, a Corvete is not an old mans car, but merly progression.

Last edited by JKbride; 06-30-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:04 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

So buy one...
Old 06-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Powder06C6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soccer dad wants a fast car with 4 seats combine that with competition from other companies and you get a Camaro with 580hp. I like the camaro but it looks like it has the handling of a box truck, no thanks, not even if it made 1000hp. Took a step back in evolution after the 4th gen. 6th gen needs to go on a diet. Before I bought my vette my ex-gf's dad bought a new SS, and I was like I gotta get one of those. After having the vette for awhile I can't believe I even considered the camaro.

And for the love of god enough with the "it's G.W.'s fault" "no it's obamas fault" there is no trophy for which president was the biggest piece of feces. If there was they could split it, but then again you guys would probably argue over the manner in which the trophy should be cut in half.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:30 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by billyboy47
i don't think the vette is an "old man's car". i'm 66 and i look at the vette as being a car that keeps an old man " feeling young." same with the c7. take my word, the corvette is my "fountain of youth." as you get older, you'll understand.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:37 AM
42Chevy
It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
St Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
It has nothing to do with the Corvette.

It has Everything to do with the Classic Muscle Car Battle of Camaro vs Mustang it's been going on since the 60's Yo'!!! the latest version of which is ZL1 vs GT500
Old 06-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
It has nothing to do with the Corvette.

It has Everything to do with the Classic Muscle Car Battle of Camaro vs Mustang it's been going on since the 60's Yo'!!! the latest version of which is ZL1 vs GT500
Old 06-30-2013, 10:49 AM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 549 Likes on 263 Posts
USN

Default So true.

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Times they are a changin'. Economy has been bad for 5 years and will only get worse unless we make a hard turn. The Corvette was always a "rich" man's car. In 1970 when you could buy a new one for $5,000 it was VERY expensive. You could buy a very nice Pontiac GTO for $3,500. The GTO had 370hp and the Corvette was the same. They are different cars for different markets. Today's Camaro is competing with the Mustang for the youth who can't afford a Corvette. The ZR1 is for those who have plenty of money to spare. The base Corvette is for those who are a little more cost conscious and the Camaro is for those who will have to scrimp to make the loan payments. In a few years the Camaro will cost $100K new, the base Corvette $150K, and the ZR1 (if there is one which is very doubtful) will be $250K. That's what the American people said they wanted when they voted.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Slowgoin
What is Chevy Doing?
Making cars that will sell so they can make money. That's what companies do. If Chevy tried too much to cater to a small niche market (Corvette) and ignored what the vast majority of people will buy they'd go out of business.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:58 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by mracer14
Need I remind you that Obama has be in office 5 years. If you want to point your finger,point it at Obama. The most unqualified President ever !!!
Wrong section take this BS DEMS/REPU to the off topic section...
Old 06-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by troller399
Wrong section take this BS DEMS/REPU to the off topic section...
It belongs in PR&C
Old 06-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the Camaro were designed so that you could see out of it better i.e. not feel like you were trapped in a cave, I would have been tempted to get one because it costs less, even though I much prefer the looks and power/weight ratio of the Corvette. I just don't understand why they would design a car like that, as so many people have the same first impression when they get in the Camaro, i.e. "you can't see out of this thing."

Last edited by Adam_W; 06-30-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Adam_W
If the Camaro were designed so that you could see out of it better i.e. not feel like you were trapped in a cave, I would have been tempted to get one because it costs less, even though I much prefer the looks and power/weight ratio of the Corvette. I just don't understand why they would design a car like that, as so many people have the same first impression when they get in the Camaro, i.e. "you can't see out of this thing."

My experience was the opposite. I went shopping for a Camaro, or Mustang. Didn't much care for the feel of the Mustang, so I decided on a Camaro SS.

Test drove it several times. Made all my choices, and then just before placing the order I had this need to drive a '13 GS.

As soon as I dropped my butt into the 'vette, I felt like I was in rocket sled cockpit. After a 15 minute drive, I got back in the Camaro, and it felt like a big sedan, like a tank.

I immediately ordered the 'vette. No contest for me. Been happy ever since.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:16 PM
shadoquad
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam_W
Yeah, I really don't like the sight lines of the Camaro, but I do think it's quite a lot of performance for the dollar.

And the ZL1 with its power may get around some tracks faster than my Z06, but I'd rather have the low-slung sports car, too. Muscle cars are just too removed from the feel of performance driving for me.

Get notified of new replies

To What is Chevy Doing?

Old 06-30-2013, 12:21 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister
Here's my 2 cents....The ZL1 appeals to younger folks for several reasons. A friend of mine is a typical example. He bought a Camaro ZL1 because he's 36 years of age, is married, has a child, and needs a back seat. He would have preferred a 'vette but it's too impractical for him now.

He's made some minor mods, and is now running about 600hp. When he asked me how I thought I'd do against his Camaro, with my stock 436hp LS3, I told him he'd lose. He said..."but I'm runnin' 600hp!" I said,..."and you'll need every one of those extra 164 horses just to offset the weight of that tank."

It's been friendly banter for months...eventually we'll end up at Palm Beach Raceway, and see who's right.
11-1200# weight difference takes a lot of horsepower to make up. I drove T/As when my kids were growing up for the same reason: back seat. My neighbor has an SS and loves it along with his Land Rover and Jag. Nice car, but not a Corvette. I like the retro look of the Challenger and Mustang better, but if I had bought a different car, it would have been a Charger with AWD. I really think it is the best "family" sporty car out there at $25k less than a comparable BMW with better looks. Everyone has different tastes, and I think Chevy is trying to cover all bases.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:21 PM
rgauchey
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowgoin
Used to be the corvette was the top of the line in the vehicle line up. Now the Camaro has 580hp (FIVE HUNDRED EIGHTY) what gives? You have to own a ZR1 to have more hp? The only Corvette in the entire line up that actually has more power than the new Camaro is the ZR1? And this Camaro is 20k less than a ZO6!
The Camaro is the "Halo" car for Chevrolet now, It appeals to a broader range of customers. The Corvette appeals to a older, well heeled crowd. Sorry if you are just now facing up to the fact that your in that demographic.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by mracer14
TOTALLY!

As far as the vette being an old guys car, according to something that I read on the Internet, the average age of a Corvette owner is 53. I have passed 53, but I certainly don't feel old.

Quick Reply: What is Chevy Doing?