C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do people insist on parking next to me even if I park far away??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 12:39 AM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Jesus.. Leaving notes on peoples car for parking next to you? No wonder nobody likes Corvette owners. That new Honda probably costs as much as your C6 right now. I doubt they want to damage their new car.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:59 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by bladex10
Jesus.. Leaving notes on peoples car for parking next to you? No wonder nobody likes Corvette owners. That new Honda probably costs as much as your C6 right now. I doubt they want to damage their new car.
It really depends on how she looks to determine if you leave a note or not.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Jakeross
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually a 20 year old POS full of dents parks next to me when I am way out in a parking lot.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:15 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 836 Likes on 395 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I have not read all of the post, but many seem to indicate that you think you are the only person that has a nice car and therefore you are entitled to a space in a parking lot and no one should dare think about parking next to you. Sure I like to keep my car in nice shape, but I don't go out of my way to draw attention to the car. I find that if have to park in a shopping center and you park normally the majority of the time people don't even notice the car. Some of the replies show why many out there thing people that drive Corvette's are arrogant snobs. Did you ever think that when you park way out away from everyone else you are simply saying I am special so stay away. That is most likely why the other driver or drivers park next to you and get close to the drivers side. If your Corvette means that much, I suggest that you take your other car to these parking lots or get a beater for those occasions, if not just go and live with it.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:30 AM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walmart is just too high a risk, whatever
their mentality.
Its overly crowded at almost all hours.
It wouldn't matter where you parked.

People are usually absorbed with their
own issues and rarely analyze thoughts
as much as we give them credit for.

Malice surely exists, but absent mindedness
is the rule, imho.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:12 AM
chevnut55
Racer

This is why I hate people..non car people. I have too many stories to tell on this thread, not just mine but many others I had to repair on high end classics and exotics.
The one that got me the most was a lady who parked against in her lexus me while I was in the car watching, I was way behind the building in a empty lot and she opened the door and hit my car.. I told her how much time and money I had into my car and parked this far so this would not happen.. she said its just a car, if you are that worried dont drive it .
her car did not drive after I left.
I want to drive my new g/s everwhere but if I can not park it when I get there ..its not worth it.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:36 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by chevnut55
This is why I hate people..non car people. I have too many stories to tell on this thread, not just mine but many others I had to repair on high end classics and exotics.
The one that got me the most was a lady who parked against in her lexus me while I was in the car watching, I was way behind the building in a empty lot and she opened the door and hit my car.. I told her how much time and money I had into my car and parked this far so this would not happen.. she said its just a car, if you are that worried dont drive it .
I want to drive my new g/s everwhere but if I can not park it when I get there ..its not worth it.
So this lady was a bi*ch, but she was right, they are just cars. If it means that much to everyone, then don't take the car to a place where this can happen. Let’s face it, you park way out and all you do is draw attention to yourself. Most likely parked behind the building is where most of the employee's park. I don't take my Corvette to these places unless it is the only car available at the time and then I just grin and bear it.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Dre01SS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Valleybacker
There are two reasons

1) collectivism. People tend to do what others do and so they will park next to people just out of nature/instinct

2) he wanted to protect his car by parking next to you

/thread
Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Jitsu
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I tried the same mentality when making the deal for my C6. The dealer showed me the pricetag on it and I said "it's just a car!".

Then when my insurance company told me the rates for it I said "it's just a car!".

Yes it's "just a car" but it's not a 20+ year old Honda so I don't think it's fair to say "it's just a car" when someone door dings it. We take pride in our vettes and don't want them damaged by someone else's "it's just a car" attitude because we are the ones that'll be repairing damage left by someone's "it's just a car" attitude.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by chevnut55
It must really suck to go through life hating people. I feel sorry for you. As for the comment that "her car didn't drive after I left," I can only say that resorting to vandalism, as you imply you did, is not only illegal but means you subscribe to either the "two wrongs make a right" or the "but she did it first" thought process, both of which aren't suitable for anyone over 6 years old.

This thread has really brought out the worst in a bunch of people here, and strongly reinforces the image that most of the public has of Corvette owners as elitist snobs. It's why I don't belong to a Corvette club or hang out much with other Corvette owners.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:30 AM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 PM
11Black-GS
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R

This thread has really brought out the worst in a bunch of people here, and strongly reinforces the image that most of the public has of Corvette owners as elitist snobs. It's why I don't belong to a Corvette club or hang out much with other Corvette owners.
lol. I used to have a BMW M3 before my vette. When I bought my M3 I spent about 2 months on the BMW forums before I stopped b/c of how many egotistical members were on there. One person even made the joke "what is the difference between a porcupine and a BMW? The ****** are on the outside of a porcupine". Before the BMW, I had an Acura Integra (which is a Honda) and thought everyone on the Honda/Acura forum were the most down to earth people. So I guess the point to my ramble is that basically you will get snobs no matter which car forum you frequent but some have more than others, IMO. But I must say that after being on this forum for two months I don't think you guys are anywhere near as bad as the people on the BMW forums (no disrespect for those who are reading that also have a BMW).
Old 07-03-2013, 12:17 PM
bluesdaddy
Intermediate

Default Cars Parking to close, (ETC.)

Well, I do hate to 'Beat-A-Dead'....Horse/Vandal Here :-)
But... (Some-people), always take the side, of these (People), and so trying here to be reserved...They want to vandalize our Corvettes, I think, perhaps, these people are the ones doing it,,,I mean seriously, how could you ever get on a 'Corvette-Forum', and defend this 'malicious mischief'... and.. I had emails saying, ' I was to Aggressive , and paraphrasing, ' should Love them and and not be angry'... No, my friends, Not me...Sorry, If you disrespect my property, then, as I use to say, (Many-Years)..."If you can't do the Time, don't do the Crime"... and.. when, I confront them, hey, I tell them the Truth.. " I'd rather have someone BEAT-MY-AZZ, than (MESS), with MY-VETTE, because at Least they're Man enough to Face-ME! I am so sure the 'Love-them, don't confont them , 'Love-Thy-Neighbor, People will be all over this... But, good fences , make Good Neighbors...Point is, You respect my property, as I do YOURS, If you don't, you get what you REAP! That's 'MY-Take' Old-School, Bob!!!!!!

Last edited by bluesdaddy; 07-03-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-03-2013, 01:12 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bluesdaddy
But... (Some-people), always take the side, of these (People), and so trying here to be reserved...They want to vandalize our Corvettes, I think, perhaps, these people are the ones doing it,,,I mean seriously, how could you ever get on a 'Corvette-Forum', and defend this 'malicious mischief'... and.. I had emails saying, ' I was to Aggressive , and paraphrasing, ' should Love them and and not be angry'... No, my friends, Not me...Sorry, If you disrespect my property, then, as I use to say, (Many-Years)..."If you can't do the Time, don't do the Crime"... and.. when, I confront them, hey, I tell them the Truth.. " I'd rather have someone BEAT-MY-AZZ, than (MESS), with MY-VETTE, because at Least they're Man enough to Face-ME! I am so sure the 'Love-them, don't confont them , 'Love-Thy-Neighbor, People will be all over this... But, good fences , make Good Neighbors...Point is, You respect my property, as I do YOURS, If you don't, you get what you REAP! That's 'MY-Take' Old-School, Bob!!!!!!

Well said.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Except what started the thread was someone parking too close. There was no damage. There was no vandalism. Yet the Vette owner left a note on the other person's car calling them a jerk. I agree that if damage is caused, intentional or not, there should be consequences. However, all the rants about people parking anywhere near a Vette being "a-holes" or vandalizing cars that parked near but caused no damage are elitist and stupid. We don't own the road or parking lots. Parking next to a Vette and causing no damage isn't a crime in any jurisdiction in the country. Vandalizing a car because it's parked near a Vette is, and leaving a nasty note could be.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:27 PM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Except what started the thread was someone parking too close. There was no damage. There was no vandalism. Yet the Vette owner left a note on the other person's car calling them a jerk. I agree that if damage is caused, intentional or not, there should be consequences. However, all the rants about people parking anywhere near a Vette being "a-holes" or vandalizing cars that parked near but caused no damage are elitist and stupid. We don't own the road or parking lots. Parking next to a Vette and causing no damage isn't a crime in any jurisdiction in the country. Vandalizing a car because it's parked near a Vette is, and leaving a nasty note could be.
A note is illegal?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:37 PM
bluesdaddy
Intermediate

Bottom...Line... Never a Note... That is (Evidence)....:-)

Get notified of new replies

To Why do people insist on parking next to me even if I park far away??

Old 07-03-2013, 01:43 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
So this lady was a bi*ch, but she was right, they are just cars. If it means that much to everyone, then don't take the car to a place where this can happen. Let’s face it, you park way out and all you do is draw attention to yourself. Most likely parked behind the building is where most of the employee's park. I don't take my Corvette to these places unless it is the only car available at the time and then I just grin and bear it.
She is right, they are just cars. She still shouldnt have damaged his car and she should have to pay to have it fixed.

You are spot on about parking away, makes you a target.

It must really suck to go through life hating people. I feel sorry for you. As for the comment that "her car didn't drive after I left," I can only say that resorting to vandalism, as you imply you did, is not only illegal but means you subscribe to either the "two wrongs make a right" or the "but she did it first" thought process, both of which aren't suitable for anyone over 6 years old.

She as wrong for not paying for his car to be fixed back to the condition before she messed it up.........but he shouldnt have done a thing to her car.

Bottom...Line... Never a Note... That is (Evidence)....:-)
Always backhand someone....no finger prints!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:45 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I have seen notes that say "Well I have never met an important person before, but I am sure your are one seeing you think it is perfectly ok to take up two parking spaces". I hate to say it, but I find more Corvette's taken up two spaces.

As stated, this post was not based on someone doing damage to the car or vandalism, it was simply that the OP parked out from al the other cars and when he came out there was a car parked next to him. No damage, but it was a little hard for the owner to get in to his car.

Never seen so many cry babies about there car. If you are concerned it will get damaged in a parking lot, leave it at home and take another car.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vet55
A note is illegal?
Depending on exactly what it says, it could be considered harassment or a threat, both of which are illegal. It's also written evidence if someone does claim they were harassed or threatened.

Quick Reply: Why do people insist on parking next to me even if I park far away??