C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 07:40 PM
CurtH
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tires

Looking to purchase new tires. (currently have Goodyear OEM)
I have decided in Michelin all season, but undecided on run-flats or regular.
I know there are a ton of threads on this, but I would appreciate some input.
2007 vert non z51
Not a daily driver, but take the car out when weather permits and do take the car on 700mi+ trips. I am looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport AS ZP.
Opinions?
Thanks, Curt
Old 11-24-2013, 07:43 PM
CurtH
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just noticed someone with the same question beat me to my post
Old 11-24-2013, 07:50 PM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtH
I just noticed someone with the same question beat me to my post
The other post was different in they were talking for a GS which I have. You have a regular body and different tire sizes. I have the Michelins on our C5 and they are great.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Z28ImpalaSS
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I put the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Z/P's on my '01 C5 a few years ago and was very happy with them. Like everyone says,way better than the Goodyear run flats. Just yesterday I had the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's non run flat's put on my '07 C6, again replacing Goodyear Run Flats. So far very impressed with these too. As for Run Flat vs non Run Flat, can't really say. Both have their own particular advantages. Hopefully more will chime in.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

you take long trips, go with the run flat, I use Firestone Wide Ovals
Old 11-24-2013, 09:06 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

You pretty much limited yourself to two tires. The AS ZP or the AS3 (I don't know if it is runflat or not). AS3 was designed to replace the AS.

For long trips the main threat is a blow out which fortunately rarely happens. With either you will eventually be parked for a day or so waiting for the new tire to come in (especially the rear). Bring a commpressor and can of slime with you no matter what type of tire you get. The one C6 I saw with a bad tire on the side of the road had run flats and he was not moving any place soon. I made sure he contacted someone, and had some food/water and went on my way. His Goodyear was beyond gone.

The most common threat is a slow leaker such as coming out to your car in the morning and seeing the TPMS warning go off because pressure dropped to around 23-25 overnight. The other threat is driver error (IE hitting something that damages the tire).
Old 11-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
You pretty much limited yourself to two tires. The AS ZP or the AS3 (I don't know if it is runflat or not). AS3 was designed to replace the AS.

For long trips the main threat is a blow out which fortunately rarely happens. With either you will eventually be parked for a day or so waiting for the new tire to come in (especially the rear). Bring a commpressor and can of slime with you no matter what type of tire you get. The one C6 I saw with a bad tire on the side of the road had run flats and he was not moving any place soon. I made sure he contacted someone, and had some food/water and went on my way. His Goodyear was beyond gone.

The most common threat is a slow leaker such as coming out to your car in the morning and seeing the TPMS warning go off because pressure dropped to around 23-25 overnight. The other threat is driver error (IE hitting something that damages the tire).
Do you have any details on that? Wondering what happened...
That's the first time I've heard of a runflat failure that forced the driver to stop, as compared to a driver who chooses to stop to maximize chances that his runflat can be repaired.

Get notified of new replies

To Tires

Quick Reply: Tires