C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM blocked warranty - Zr1

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Rob.Laurie
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking for a used ZR1 in Calgary for a few months. Three I checked out all had the same warranty blocks, all 2011's.

One was at a Suzuki dealer of all places (would throw in an aftermarket warranty ) Car is still up for sale.

The other 2 were at GM dealers, both marketed as Certified Pre-Owned !

The first GM dealer salesman I dealt with expressed shock that it had a warranty block after I asked for a VIS, he appeared sincere & wasn't surprised when I turned the deal down.

The other GM dealer told me matter of factly that GM Canada was blocking warranty on all ZR1's coming in from the US, again not until after I asked for the VIS on it. Not sure how true that is, just passing on what I was told. This car is still up for sale.

I finally found a 2012 Canadian car with 1600 km on it for a few grand more. Clean VIS & Carproof. Pick it up next weekend, hope I've done my homework on it & it's everything it appears to be.

Sorry I can't be of much help with your situation, just thought I'd pass along my experience is all.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 06-30-2013, 02:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,950 Likes on 5,343 Posts

OP not sure of Canadian rules but I would be pushing for the selling dealer to take the car back since they were selling it under false pretenses. You would misled on a major purchase and they should stand up and take responsibility. If that doesn't work I would be pushing for them to provide an aftermarket bumper to bumper warranty that is good for 2 years and whatever 24K miles is in KMs.

Bill
Old 06-30-2013, 02:42 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
OP not sure of Canadian rules but I would be pushing for the selling dealer to take the car back since they were selling it under false pretenses. You would misled on a major purchase and they should stand up and take responsibility. If that doesn't work I would be pushing for them to provide an aftermarket bumper to bumper warranty that is good for 2 years and whatever 24K miles is in KMs.

Bill
Most will say, "caveat emptor." But per the above Canadian poster, it looks like no dealer in Canada will tell you BEFORE SALE that the warranties (plural) are blocked. Therefore, I agree w. Bill above---you've been taken. And you actually do deserve some compensation or a takeback. That is a wrong way to do biz imo.

As to your warranties, you are out of Bumper to Bumper in about six months, and your Powertrain would have expired in about 2 yrs. and 5 or so months. That's what I'd ask for and maybe slightly more than what Bill mentioned above if you get to keep the car. The fact that high performance school cars get "wash" titled and sold to unsuspecting Canadians is not a good thing. No question tho, the information on prior ownership was "find-able" just not so easily esp. for Canadians.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:52 PM
chevynovaguy72
Advanced

Its an old Spring Mountain car. I work at a Gregg Young Chevrolet as a service tech, and work on 90% of the Corvettes that come through the shop (quite a few might I add). We've also ran into this, as sales bought a ZR1 at auction not realizing it had the blocked warranty. When I inspected it, I found the carpet around the trans tunnel on both the driver's and passenger's side was shrunk and pulled back and down from the console. That's caused by the heat generated on the track. And car also had the same identical powertrain warranty block. You still have a bumper to bumper warranty, but anything powertrain, brakes and suspension related is a blocked warranty op. One poster already listed the ops that are blocked. Needless to say, there is no way around it. Even we as the dealer couldnt get GM to change that. And buying an aftermarket powertrain warranty would not work, as most of the companies have access to GM warranty records, so they can see that the car has a partially blocked warranty.

Any questions feel free to ask me. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
CyberBullet (12-07-2016)
Old 06-30-2013, 11:16 PM
Dj92GTA
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I know they sold the supersonic blue in calgary. I almost bought that black one too. Guess we can start an alberta club with all the spring cars up here.

I'd like to know who bought it at the auction, need to find someone with one of those accounts for the history. If it was the dealer directly that's 100% proof they knew it was power train blocked. They originally listed it at 90 then dropped it quite a bit. I should have spent more time researching like Rob and bought one next year.

I wrote the dealer a note stating all the issues I found on the vehicle and a second email after this info. It was partially financed so I don't know if the lender would have any weight.

They may fix the items on the bumper to bumper but likely it would be a battle with gm I'd loose as they'd blame the "racing" and time isn't on my side. If plans were a dedicated track car it wouldn't be so bad.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:09 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

OP, sorry this turned out the way it did for you. I would definitely seek legal counsel before making another move and see what you can do to have the dealer take the car back. You absolutely had the right to know the circumstances of that car, particulary the blocked drivetrain warranty, before purchasing it. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:32 AM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by chevynovaguy72
Its an old Spring Mountain car.
Having just taken the ZR1 course at Spring Mountain this past week, I can say that those cars get seriously used up. No wonder GM voids the powertrain warranty on them. While I was there I drove 2013s and saw a few 2012 CE ZR1s getting packed up and loaded on a closed carrier, and according to one instructor "they were getting shipped back to GM".
Old 07-27-2013, 10:06 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What I find interesting is that I just looked at a ZR1 registry for 2011 and that car is missing from the list! I wonder why?
Old 07-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I just ran a Carfax on your car. Your car has no history until it was sold on 3/25 at auction. Then it show when you bought it.

On a normal Corvette that gets shipped to a dealer the report will show the day, miles, and dealer where are car was ordered from.

Your car shows none of that only when it was sold at auction is where the history begins.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:05 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
If it came from Vegas it's a Springer Mountain car that is your answer in a nut shell.
z51vett
Old 07-28-2013, 08:01 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
I just ran a Carfax on your car. Your car has no history until it was sold on 3/25 at auction. Then it show when you bought it.

On a normal Corvette that gets shipped to a dealer the report will show the day, miles, and dealer where are car was ordered from.

Your car shows none of that only when it was sold at auction is where the history begins.
That doesn't sound that good especially if you are putting big $$$ down on a vehicle.

It makes sense that warranties are voided if it was owned by a racetrack.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:17 PM
rayk
Drifting

I think the SM cars are well taken care of, but seriously GM, you shouldn't put a lease car back into the retail market without making it clear what it was and what the warranty is.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:16 AM
kulwinds
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How does one tell if a warranty is blocked prior to purchasing a vehicle?
Old 11-30-2016, 11:38 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,651 Likes on 2,359 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by kulwinds
How does one tell if a warranty is blocked prior to purchasing a vehicle?
Ask a GM dealer to print out the VIS. It will show on there.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:45 AM
kulwinds
Advanced

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Ask a GM dealer to print out the VIS. It will show on there.
Thanks! Would the VIS and Carfax be enough to have a good idea of the car's history? Of course I think it would also be useful to get it checked by a mechanic but just want to make sure I am thorough in my research before making a purchase.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:03 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,651 Likes on 2,359 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Carfax, Autocheck, etc, will be good to look at (may not show everything) and, with the VIS you can put together a pretty good history picture. Then it's inspection time.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:06 PM
kulwinds
Advanced

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Carfax, Autocheck, etc, will be good to look at (may not show everything) and, with the VIS you can put together a pretty good history picture. Then it's inspection time.
Would you recommend an independent inspection if purchasing used certified from a dealership? Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To GM blocked warranty - Zr1

Old 11-30-2016, 12:34 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,479 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

yes, just because it may be at a dealer, or "Certified Pre-Owned" doesn't mean that all of the potential issues have been repaired.............................. dealer's more interested in selling, then getting it back for repair work if needed afterwards.........................

Last edited by rkj427; 11-30-2016 at 07:30 PM.
kulwinds (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 01:04 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Since you are in Canada, this is the law in Ontario regarding buying used cars from a dealer.
I would think that the law would be similar in Alberta.

90-day contract cancellation
When you buy a vehicle, a dealer must give you the most accurate information available about a vehicle’s history and key features. If certain information is missing you have 90-days to cancel the contract. If any of the information below is not accurate, you can cancel within 90 days:

1)odometer reading (or a statement that distance travelled is not available)
2)make, model and year
3)whether the vehicle has been “branded” by the Ministry of 4)Transportation as salvage, rebuilt or irreparable
5)whether the manufacturer has cancelled the warranty on the vehicle
accurate details of past use (e.g., if the vehicle was used as a taxi, limousine, rental car, police or emergency vehicle)

This link from Alberta, and it doesn't have the same clauses as Ontario. You may be out of luck as far as returning the car.
http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/...ivers_Seat.pdf
Landru (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 05:45 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
Since you are in Canada, this is the law in Ontario regarding buying used cars from a dealer.
I would think that the law would be similar in Alberta.

90-day contract cancellation
You're about 3 1/2 years late.

Quick Reply: GM blocked warranty - Zr1