C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scraped my front splitter on my GS

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:00 PM
AddisonD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can you get the front splitter for the GS for $125?
I do mean the splitter. I know the air dam that hangs on the GS, under the car, is offered several places for less than $100.

My splitter routinely is pulled away from the bumper and gets slightly folded under due to my driveway. It has scrapes quite visible on its top edge, against the cars fascia "bumper", as a result.

This can also happen in parking lots if you go in to a space too far and contact a curb. I gotten good at not doing that.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:03 PM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by MakoShark72
I have been thinking about cleaning mine up and giving it a coat of black spray-on Plasti-dip...
Interesting idea. I'm curious in terms of how Plasti-dip would wear, i.e., would it shred or peel in that application?
Old 06-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Fact of life really. At least you don't have a ZR1 splitter that costs about $1k if you damage it.

You can probably clean it up a bit with a razor or light sandpaper. You definitely learn how to take dips at an angle by driving this car. Be careful also over speed bumps. Take them too fast and it'll scrape also.

Just remember angles are your friend.

Be careful of humps also as you can get high centered easily.
Rules to drive by !!!!!!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:37 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Back into parking spaces w curbs. Thats half the battle.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't give curbs a thought anymore since I installed "Curb Alert" just makes pulling into a parking spot a lot easier, **
Old 06-26-2013, 08:53 PM
AddisonD
Pro

Originally Posted by gwalsh88
I scraped my front splitter on my GS and it looks like Sh@t. ... I know I can buy a new one for about $125.00 but I fully expect to scrape it again in the future and want to put that off for a few years. ...
I really do want to get some input on where to buy the GS splitter for $125. Thanks to anyone that can suggest the vendor(s).

Old 06-26-2013, 10:28 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by AddisonD
I really do want to get some input on where to buy the GS splitter for $125. Thanks to anyone that can suggest the vendor(s).

I think it would be around $225 including shipping.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:46 PM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

Look around at other wide body C6's. Your "damage" is probably nothing compared to others. I've seen some really bent-up splitters, and I'm convinced that owners allow their spouse (of either sex) to drive their Corvette, lol.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:49 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 804 Likes on 163 Posts

Thanks for all of the responses, I really appreciate it. While I do understand I will probably scrape it again I made it 22,000 miles before I really scraped it this first time so even though it is my daily driver I’m pretty careful and have been successful so far.

FYI at the at the GM parts house the on-line price is 159.00 for a new one.

So there were a couple of great suggestions. Fine sandpaper (how fine?), the sanding blocks and 0000 steel wool. Thanks for taking the time for the advice. I suppose I will give these a shot. I have one more problem which is the very middle clip seems to have warped as I now have a slight gap at the screw. I was able to remove the screw and reinstall it but even tightened down there is a gap. Perhaps I need a new clip. If so the clip slide on or does it just sit on the back side of the painted fascia?

Thanks again!
Old 06-26-2013, 11:07 PM
bluez06ny
Instructor

I scraped my front splitter on my GS and it looks like Sh@t. Is there any suggestion of how to get it back to smooth where it will match the rest of the un-scraped area (sand paper/steel wool?). I know I can buy a new one for about $125.00 but I fully expect to scrape it again in the future and want to put that off for a few years. The car is just so damn low that turning in and out of places it hits, including my driveway. I don’t know how any of you guys who lower your car can even drive down the road. My 05 base car was bad enough but it was always just the 3 piece spoiler and not a finished part that everyone can see.

Thanks
You do not have to sand. I hit a curb head-on, the splitter bent under and had deep scratches. Take a chrome plated 1/4" drive deep socket out of your socket set. Rub the scratched area with the side of the socket. The damage can be formed out by using varying pressure/ back and forth speed. To get final color coat with tire/plastic shine.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:05 AM
AddisonD
Pro

... FYI at the at the GM parts house the on-line price is 159.00 for a new one.

I have one more problem which is the very middle clip seems to have warped as I now have a slight gap at the screw. I was able to remove the screw and reinstall it but even tightened down there is a gap. Perhaps I need a new clip. ...
First - thanks, I will investigate the one for $159.

Second - like you, I have the gap and the somewhat out-of-place, out-of-aligment, clip. I also have scrapes that are visible to me on the top of the splitter, dine while ti is getting folded under on my driveway ramp. I have tried but not figured out how to fix it, and i know it will just get knocked again on the next drive.

As you and others have written, I am now really darn good at not doing splitter damage; except I do really have to get out of the drive, and I don't have a crane to just lift it onto the street.
'''
Old 06-27-2013, 04:36 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Thanks for all of the responses, I really appreciate it. While I do understand I will probably scrape it again I made it 22,000 miles before I really scraped it this first time so even though it is my daily driver I’m pretty careful and have been successful so far.

FYI at the at the GM parts house the on-line price is 159.00 for a new one.

So there were a couple of great suggestions. Fine sandpaper (how fine?), the sanding blocks and 0000 steel wool. Thanks for taking the time for the advice. I suppose I will give these a shot. I have one more problem which is the very middle clip seems to have warped as I now have a slight gap at the screw. I was able to remove the screw and reinstall it but even tightened down there is a gap. Perhaps I need a new clip. If so the clip slide on or does it just sit on the back side of the painted fascia?

Thanks again!
Kevin at Partstaxi has it for 157.70, but that price doesn't include the $70 shipping charge. I suspect GMPartsHouse will be at least that much, if not more.

Thus my previous estimate of approximately $225 shipped.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:00 AM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bluez06ny
Rub the scratched area with the side of the socket. The damage can be formed out by using varying pressure/ back and forth speed. To get final color coat with tire/plastic shine.
Wow I have never heard of this. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-27-2013, 06:01 AM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AddisonD
I don't have a crane to just lift it onto the street.
'''
You mean you don't have a crane next to your Master Blaster in the garage?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:17 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnathon59
I don't give curbs a thought anymore since I installed "Curb Alert" just makes pulling into a parking spot a lot easier, **
This device won't work if you have a front end mask on Corvette.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:01 PM
andy82
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Racer
Live with it, we all do.
Get over it
Old 06-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,960 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Use sandpaper or steel wool to rub the scratch out. If the splitter has broken vertical pieces where the air vents for the brake cooling are located use some glue or seam sealer to mend it and then use Black Trim Paint from a rattle can to make it look good.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Scraped my front splitter on my GS

Old 06-27-2013, 01:30 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
To the OP ....

I just went through this on my GS. My wife had the car one day and scraped the splitter up real good on something while parking.

The bottom of the splitter was very rough and did not look good.

Buy a "DuraSand" course / medium sanding block. It will smooth out all the rough looking damage. There not at all expensive.

Works fantastic for this

I taped of the painted nose of my car just above the splitter, and sanded it with the pads, course to fine and finished it with 2000 paper. Then I did the entire splitter with the stuff I use to blacken the black plastic wheel liners, etc.

While there are still some deep gouges remaining, they can't be seen unless you are on your knees eyeballing the splitter.

The splitter retails for ~$229. I purchased a replacement(in case I scrape my original one again and it's not worth the trouble to sand down).

Got it from SDPC(forum vender) that is a GM dealer in Lubbock, TX for $149 including shipping. And it was shipped in a large box to protect it from the UPS driver.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:33 PM
BadgeZ28
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I did a little damage to another part recently. I lightly sanded the area and stabilized the loose glass fibers with a coat of resin. I let that dry and filled the remaining crack with a light body filler. Sanded, primed with a rattle can primer. My car is Cyber Gray and I didn't find a touch up for it, so found a company on the net that matches colors and puts it in a rattle can. I bought the base color and gloss clear coat. It turned out to be a excellent match.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by C6RaceCar
You are in a unique position where you dont have to waste the money like I did(three times) for a new splitter when its inevitable that its going to happen again. There is no need on this planet to buy another one because you WILL scrape that one too. At this point, you havent wasted any money on something that will end up just like this one. So take the scrape and chalk it up to EVERYONE else has the scrapes so its no big deal. My buddies brandnew Z06 had a scrape from his first entry into his driveway when he bought it. Its broken in now. Just live with it unless you want to replace one every couple of months.
My Z06 is five years old. I scraped it very bad at three years old. I sanded it and it looks 95% as good as new. In the past two years(10,000 miles), I haven't scraped in again (other then on the bottom when I enter/exit my driveway). Ever so often I use a 12 inch bastard mill file to knock the fuzzy's off the bottom of the splitter. Also use it on the bottom of the dam that is directly in front of the front tires. I have not damaged the face of my splitter since I did two years ago.

I do have a new replacement splitter in my basement(for the past two years) in case I do scrape the original splitter again and it's bad enough not to try and repair.

Just because it's fairly easy to damage the splitter, doesn't meant you have to drive around with a crappy looking splitter.

Quick Reply: Scraped my front splitter on my GS