C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin A/S or Firestone

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:27 AM
genolan
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Michelin A/S or Firestone

Ok
I narrowed it down to Run Flats and the choice is The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP (Zero Pressure) or the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval RFT. Does anyone have experince with either. I read the Tirerack reviews and some people love them and some hate them so it's not really helpful. I do live in New Jersey and drive mostly in the good weather so the A/S part is not as important as a solid quite good handling tire. SInce I drive about 5k miles a year the longevity factor isn't as important either.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:52 AM
ALLEN007
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 44 Posts

I just went through the same issue. I went with the Michelin's and am really pleased. Just went from Florida to Kentucky and back on them. Very nice ride in every way. Much quieter than I thought they would be. Good luck!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 AM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

The Michelin's are the best choice by far. I have them on my Z06 and they are great. They cost more but the ride and handling is superb and there is no road noise to speak of. I have put 20K on mine so far.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:15 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

if you really drive only in the good weather, why the A/S tires? they are less costly than the Pilot Sport PS2 ZPs, but those tires are made more for the good weather. they are, however, more expensive than either of your choices.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:19 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had the firestones on my wifes DD vette about 4 years and they are at 7/32 and still nice and quiet.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I went Michelin A/S and they are awesome so far. I went A/S because I drive late in the year and it wasn't any fun once temps dropped below 55* out. In the 30's it was scary at times when not even driving aggressively.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:31 AM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmokinZ51
I went Michelin A/S and they are awesome so far. I went A/S because I drive late in the year and it wasn't any fun once temps dropped below 55* out. In the 30's it was scary at times when not even driving aggressively.
That's good to know, as this is EXACTLY the reason I want new tires. I've narrowed it down to the OP's choices, and was also considering the Bridgestones RE960A/S which are RunFlat also, and appeared to test well. Not as many real life reviews for the Bridgestone on the C6, as there are for the Michelins you have. And, I don't think I've heard any negatives on Michelins either other than some comments about width appearance I think. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:36 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

I've had both when I had my 08 I liked the Firestones better.The Stones had better grip.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
I've had both when I had my 08 I liked the Firestones better.The Stones had better grip.

Sure, sure . . . you'll seize any opportunity to talk about your stones . . .
Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Sure, sure . . . you'll seize any opportunity to talk about your stones . . .
Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 AM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 549 Likes on 263 Posts
USN

Got the Michelins to replace the OEM Goodyears. Wow what a difference. Better ride, handling and much quieter. I hear the C7 will come with Michelins. What that tell ya?
Old 06-25-2013, 12:33 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
if you really drive only in the good weather, why the A/S tires? they are less costly than the Pilot Sport PS2 ZPs, but those tires are made more for the good weather. they are, however, more expensive than either of your choices.
The PS2 is quite a bit more expensive than the AS+ (~$600/set), the treadlife warranty is less (10k vs. 15k), and the UTQC rating less (220 vs. 500). Based on this I would expect the AS+ to last quite a bit longer, and even though overall handling at the limit might not be quite as good with the AS3 I'm sure they would be fine for those of us who don't race their cars competitively or otherwise strive for bleeding-edge performance.

I wonder if the new AS3 will be offered in a RF. The Tire Rack has it in a non-RF and it has a much better treadwear warranty: 45k front, 22.5k rear). UTQC rating is shown as "pending," but I would expect it to be higher than the AS+.

Last edited by iclick; 06-25-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:42 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
if you really drive only in the good weather, why the A/S tires?
I wish they made the A/S tires in my size(s)*, as they have a much higher tire tread rating. Ride is good and they should last a lot longer!

* My new Z has 19 and 20" tires.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We had the Firestone runflats on our C5, and several members in our club have them on C6's.
We have two sets of Michelin runflats for our C6, PS2 for summer and A/S for winter. Both are great tires, but for different purposes. The A/S do cost less and last longer, so in one sense they are competitive with the Firestones; but they probably don't have as much summer grip.

If OP never drives in temps below 40'F or in light snow, then the Firestones are probably his best choice. Officially, Firestone says you aren't supposed to patch one if it gets a flat but it many tire shops either don't know or don't care what the lawyers say.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:41 PM
C6Whatever
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I was trying to decide between the PS2 ZP and the Firestones. I went with the Firestones. There was a big difference in price and so I decided to try the Firestones. I have not been disappointed. They ride nice and have been quite. So far I haven't had any issues with the grip. They have held the road great.

Hope this helps

Lisa
Old 06-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
Thats the best response so far. Someone who has had experience with BOTH tires, and can make a real life comparison. Too many people of CF are too "brand" conscious, stating that one brand is the best, when they have never had the other to compare with.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:19 PM
SG4206
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
Thats the best response so far. Someone who has had experience with BOTH tires, and can make a real life comparison. Too many people of CF are too "brand" conscious, stating that one brand is the best, when they have never had the other to compare with.

Go to the Tire Rack , research the tires you are asking about. The Stones have a 320 tread ware rating ; which means they will handle better than the Mich. with a 500 T.W. If you are replacing Goodyear's that have a 220 T.W. , neither will handle any where close to them. Remember , any tire worn down to the wear bars has all the good properties used up. So you can't compare worn out GY's to new anything ; which is what a lot of people tend to do.
Those Mich's will last a lot of miles ; the Stones will get you around a corner faster.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin A/S or Firestone

Old 06-25-2013, 06:38 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SG4206

Go to the Tire Rack , research the tires you are asking about. The Stones have a 320 tread ware rating ; which means they will handle better than the Mich. with a 500 T.W. If you are replacing Goodyear's that have a 220 T.W. , neither will handle any where close to them. Remember , any tire worn down to the wear bars has all the good properties used up. So you can't compare worn out GY's to new anything ; which is what a lot of people tend to do.
Those Mich's will last a lot of miles ; the Stones will get you around a corner faster.
I understand your comparison. But just so people remember, tread ratings can't be compared between different manufacturers, only between tires from the same manufacturer. A 300 tire from mfg X is not the same as a 300 from mfg Y.

Last edited by CodyC6; 06-25-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:11 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinZ51
This. It gets cold in the Fall, and that's when some of the best drives are. Summer tires aren't supposed to be used in temperatures under 50 degrees.

I have the A/S Michelins and couldn't be more pleased. Well, unless they gave me another 200hp.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:22 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by carl3989
Got the Michelins to replace the OEM Goodyears. Wow what a difference. Better ride, handling and much quieter. I hear the C7 will come with Michelins. What that tell ya?
I replaced the OEM GY A/S runcraps with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZPs last month and now have about 700 miles on them. Far superior to the GYs. I love them but I also realise that most any new set of tires will seem far better than the worn out set you just replaced so I will try to remember the old set with the Michelins after I have 5k or more on them. The 07 vert is a DD and will have to make the office commute on cold and wet weather days so the A/S design was a must for me.

Quick Reply: Michelin A/S or Firestone