C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad day for a Sunday drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Old Gator
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad day for a Sunday drive

i don't take mine out much due to work and taking care of my 90 year old father. Saying that my wife and I took off and went up to Discovery Mills Mall above 285 here in Atlanta. Walked my old legs off and enjoyed the Bass Pro Shop and all the toys i want. Coming home down 285 minding my own business the car in front hit a re-tread which flew up and then went under my driver side. Sounded like I had run over a bolder. After readjusting my under ware the sun was burning out our eyes and i glimpsed something in my lane. At the last possible minute i figured it out, someone had lost an aluminum ladder in my lane. Thank goodness it was laying with the direction of traffic and where my right side tires would be. I slowed down as rapidly as possible and sucked up to the tractor trailer right next to me. I barely missed the ladder and had to readjust the under ware again. I don't know if anyone has ever had a large object pass under your vette but while we were stationed in Hawaii late one dark night on H3 i went to pass a slow car. Soon as I pulled out to pass there was a spare tire in my lane with no were to go. That totaled my 82. Heavy traffic and not being able to see ahead of you and what someone has lost or is going to be a surprise is my driving terror. I always try to give a car length for ever 10 i'm traveling but it doesn't help sometimes. Just my Monday rant and my girl is safe in the garage all covered up again. I looked her over and saw no damage from the re-tread. Ya'll be safe out there as you drive along I'll be waving at everyone of you.

Go Gators
Old 06-24-2013, 09:56 PM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you made it out safely....now go buy a lotto ticket, you lucky lucky man.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:43 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to hear noise. Go down a gravel road that has a high center.
Look like one of those garden fertilizer spreaders out the back. Tell people
that ranch brought the dam thing, it can go down that road

Its only has 9K for 06 but had some good scrapes in those miles.
That black flap in front ???? if still even there
Old 06-24-2013, 11:19 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

the amount of junk on the road is terrible.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:30 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey, seemed everything turned out alright and it gave you an excuse to change your skivvies.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:42 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Wow..... Glad you are ok. Recall driving down 95 last fall and the truck in front of me shredded his retread. I quickly began to move to the left lane to avoid it almost ran into the car coming up in the lane. Saw him at the last moment and very happily, he saw me also and moved some himself. Could of been awful too.........
Old 06-25-2013, 09:00 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Glad all is pretty much ok and get that lotto ticket
Old 06-25-2013, 09:15 AM
MB2
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Typical driving day for Atlanta. Lot's of idiots drop ladders, sofa's, and other junk on the interstates all the time. I hit a Castro Convertable sofa at 70 mph in a Ford LTD back in the 80's on I-285 near Lavista Rd.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:16 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default i feel your pain

my 2 week old car was hit on the right door, braking the right mirror glass by a road Gator down in middle Ga. on I75. I was so surprised my the blowout that i spun the car in traffic and almost soiled myself also. adding insult to injury Onstar called and said that the car had been involved in a spin and asked if everyone was ok. I told them that if i found the other driver, they would have to send the police because i was going to kill him they asked me to calm down and just wait a few minutes before i resumed my trip if i felt it was safe to do so.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

My car couldn't even clear a pine cone that was in the street. If I straddle what looks like a small piece of debris, I still hear it hit the underside of my Vette.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:02 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by truckplay
my 2 week old car was hit on the right door, braking the right mirror glass by a road Gator down in middle Ga. on I75. I was so surprised my the blowout that i spun the car in traffic and almost soiled myself also. adding insult to injury Onstar called and said that the car had been involved in a spin and asked if everyone was ok. I told them that if i found the other driver, they would have to send the police because i was going to kill him they asked me to calm down and just wait a few minutes before i resumed my trip if i felt it was safe to do so.
OK. I gotta ask. What is a road Gator?
Old 06-26-2013, 04:50 PM
lil red vette
Advanced

A road gator is a large piece of tire tread. Usually from a 18 wheeler.

One day I saw what I thought was a small empty box in my lane. Shoulder dropped off on right and cars coming on left, so I had to straddle the "box". Turns out it was a bottle jack!! Broke a chunk out of the front crossmember and knocked a small hole in the oil pan. Insurance considered it a "accident" instead of a road hazard!! New crossmember and oil pan and I was good to go....
Old 06-26-2013, 05:35 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

I am amazed at how many ladders I see in Atlanta interstates.

One morning I watched a car loose its front left wheel.
What a light show at 0530 just north of the perimeter.
The car was in the far right lane. The tire bounced up about 50 feet.
Then started bouncing its way across six lanes. It was hitting the barrier on my left when I went by it.
Then the tire started its way back to the right side of the road.
We were traveling around 75mph and the traffic was heavy.
It was a miracle that no one hit the tire.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Gator
i don't take mine out much due to work and taking care of my 90 year old father. Saying that my wife and I took off and went up to Discovery Mills Mall above 285 here in Atlanta. Walked my old legs off and enjoyed the Bass Pro Shop and all the toys i want. Coming home down 285 minding my own business the car in front hit a re-tread which flew up and then went under my driver side. Sounded like I had run over a bolder. After readjusting my under ware the sun was burning out our eyes and i glimpsed something in my lane. At the last possible minute i figured it out, someone had lost an aluminum ladder in my lane. Thank goodness it was laying with the direction of traffic and where my right side tires would be. I slowed down as rapidly as possible and sucked up to the tractor trailer right next to me. I barely missed the ladder and had to readjust the under ware again. I don't know if anyone has ever had a large object pass under your vette but while we were stationed in Hawaii late one dark night on H3 i went to pass a slow car. Soon as I pulled out to pass there was a spare tire in my lane with no were to go. That totaled my 82. Heavy traffic and not being able to see ahead of you and what someone has lost or is going to be a surprise is my driving terror. I always try to give a car length for ever 10 i'm traveling but it doesn't help sometimes. Just my Monday rant and my girl is safe in the garage all covered up again. I looked her over and saw no damage from the re-tread. Ya'll be safe out there as you drive along I'll be waving at everyone of you.

Go Gators
A car length for every 10mph? You're kidding right? No where near Atlanta can you do that! I am very glad you didn't have any damage. On our outing last Saturday 1 guy wrecked his vert and another had to nurse his Z06 3 hours home due to fuel pressure dropping. The Z got fixed fairly easily, but the vert is totaled. We all we just glad that he didn't get injured. I think he said he was actually thinking about getting a newer model anyway.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:53 PM
42Chevy
It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
St Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Good to hear your Vette is ok.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:13 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Lucky!!! At least you were safe.

I don't think you will be able to dodge the bullet on Sept 7!!!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Go buy yourself some new draws and a lottery ticket.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad day for a Sunday drive

Quick Reply: Bad day for a Sunday drive