C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Onstar

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 02:14 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,960 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by JJPonzini
Tom-Tom and Pandora1 on my iPhone haved saved me a lot of $$$ compared to Onstar and XM.
Not sure how a Tom Tom does what On Star does. All it can do is give so so navigation instructions. It can't call an ambulance for you.

Bill
Old 06-27-2013, 04:26 AM
mikecronis
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

In OnStar's defense, they have a few nice options. For instance, if you need to get to a location, it's all voiced because you're talking to a person, and they have made reservations for me getting to a restaurant. You can also set-up waypoints with them, or have them route you away from certain areas. They'll do an in-car diagnostic and send it to you via email along with any CELs, can unlock your car if you're stuck (rare with a 'Vette, obviously). You can report and/or help-out other stuck cars or emergencies, accidents, etc. and they'll send help. If you crash, they'll send an ambulance without even asking because of the crash-sensor and airbag deployment data is sent to them (for free, no charge), try to contact you to see if you're okay. If your car is stolen, they can locate it and/or slow it down and send the data to the cops real-time.

I was on a long trip from Iowa to Colorado and my car wouldn't start and they sent me a jumpstart service (took 5 minutes to get there). I've also been out of gas and they'll send someone with 5 gallons of high-octane for free. They'll also arrange a local towing service (again for free) to the nearest auto repair shop or dealership of your choice. All of this is for free. If you get a flat tire, they'll send someone to flatbed your car and get it repaired (or replaced) for free (minus the cost of the tire). If your car's acting funky, or missing a cylinder, they can tell you which one.

Honestly, I find the basic service invaluable. It's saved me many times over the last 10 years.

Last edited by mikecronis; 06-27-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 PM
OnStar Advisor
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RnLi
I don't believe OnStar works while the vehicle is stored. For example, my coupe sat for 3-4 months while I was vacationing in another vehicle. For those months I did not receive a vehicle status report from OnStar. However, within the first 10 minutes of starting and pulling it out of the garage the report for the current month was sent.

The same circumstances surround my car if I don't drive it in the last week of a month and the first week of the following month (but I must note.....I have no idea what their transmission protocol is). But again, when I start and pull it out of the garage, the report is waiting in my email inbox.

JMO
RnLi,

Your OnStar Vehicle Diagnostic emails are based on a 30 day cycle from the enrollment date. The OnStar Vehicle Diagnostic report will automatically transmit diagnostic data every 30 days on a predetermined date and time. If no one drives your vehicle on that date, the data will transmit the next time your engine is turned on.

So for example, if the vehicle isn’t started on a regular basis and the triggers were set for the 25th, but the vehicle was parked from the 24th to the 29th and then started on the 30th, the email will send on the 30th. I hope this helps clarify. Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Old 06-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Curtis A. Franz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Onstar reps are unreal, seems they do not care if youbstay with them or not. Most of the cust serv reps seems like they are overseas. Guess they do not work on commission. XM on the other hand will work with you to keep you.

XM seems the worst to us.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OnStar Advisor
Steve2150,

Thanks so much for speaking with me today. We appreciate your feedback. Please know that we care about our customers and hope you will take advantage of all the benefits OnStar Directions and Connections offers. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your subscription: bit.ly/10ABqWo

Please feel free to contact me with any further questions.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Jessica, I received an offer to resubscribe to On Star. I called and got it established, got the 100 minutes free.

But for some reason my on star system never worked right. Hardware was fine, would take 5-10 minutes to connect to advisor. When ever I tried to make a call it would say "this verizon number is not active".

Had multiple "technicians" try patching into the system over the phone. They'd call me on my personal phone while working on it.

Never got fixed, disconnected the service and asked for refund.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:47 PM
OnStar Advisor
Advanced

Originally Posted by Valleybacker
Jessica, I received an offer to resubscribe to On Star. I called and got it established, got the 100 minutes free.

But for some reason my on star system never worked right. Hardware was fine, would take 5-10 minutes to connect to advisor. When ever I tried to make a call it would say "this verizon number is not active".

Had multiple "technicians" try patching into the system over the phone. They'd call me on my personal phone while working on it.

Never got fixed, disconnected the service and asked for refund.
Valleybacker,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience and I would be happy to assist in any way I can. Is your account still currently active? If so, please PM me your account info so I can review your account. Thank you.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Old 06-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Steve2150,

Thanks so much for speaking with me today. We appreciate your feedback. Please know that we care about our customers and hope you will take advantage of all the benefits OnStar Directions and Connections offers. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your subscription: bit.ly/10ABqWo

Please feel free to contact me with any further questions.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

Jessica, I resubscribed to onstar after receiving a promotion.

Called them up in the car, and received the 100 minute promotion.

My onstar never worked right after resubscribing.

Took 5-10 minutes just to get an operator. When pushing emergency it took 3-4 minutes.

The phone calls never worked and said "This verizon number is not in service".

Had multiple technicians try to troubleshoot over phone (they would call me while connecting to the system).

They would always say they would call me back, never did.

Ended up cancelling and refund. Which is sad cuz I actually liked the service.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Ryan5508
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anyway to shut off the notifications about using onstar for directions that randomly pop in while I am driving?
Old 06-27-2013, 04:41 PM
OnStar Advisor
Advanced

Originally Posted by Valleybacker
Jessica, I resubscribed to onstar after receiving a promotion.

Called them up in the car, and received the 100 minute promotion.

My onstar never worked right after resubscribing.

Took 5-10 minutes just to get an operator. When pushing emergency it took 3-4 minutes.

The phone calls never worked and said "This verizon number is not in service".

Had multiple technicians try to troubleshoot over phone (they would call me while connecting to the system).

They would always say they would call me back, never did.

Ended up cancelling and refund. Which is sad cuz I actually liked the service.
Valleybacker,

I appreciate you taking the time to let me know about this. If you'd like to reactivate your subscription I'd be happy to go through the process with you and ensure a quick resolution. If so, please send me a PM with your contact and vehicle info. Thanks!

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Old 06-27-2013, 05:11 PM
GRG
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I like to compare my tire guage with their tire guage. LOL
Old 06-27-2013, 05:21 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Onstar will sell info.about you to anyone who.wants it. read you privacy agreement. I disabled mine and never activated it. Will do the same for any future vehicles. Once you sign up for the free trial they know too much. Do so.at your own risk. If you crash both law enforcement and your insurance can get info against you.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:36 PM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

biggest gripe I have is it is almost impossible to log on to their website. takes forever or never works.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:03 PM
brettbolt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by blitzebill
biggest gripe I have is it is almost impossible to log on to their website. takes forever or never works.
My biggest issue is the added size of the rear view mirror with all the Onstar controls. It blocks my view of important things, like scenery and other cars!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:26 PM
BC427
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So for 41 cents a day for one year your not happy you can't get a better deal. You paid how much for your Corvette and you want to believe that you could never, ever lock your keys in the car? Or, have an accident, or have someone take it? Check the topics for "locked my keys in my car".
If you give them a credit card they will automatically renew it. I just keep a record of the date and call them before the renewal to confirm the pricing. Mine has not gone up since 2008. If you don't want it don't renew it. Move on.
Big brother aside it is very cheap insurance. Oh and it is not going away. ALL manufacturers are coming on board with this service. You are going to get all sorts of notices about service and programs. It is the new money making product for the dealerships.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:14 PM
brettbolt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BC427
So for 41 cents a day for one year your not happy you can't get a better deal. You paid how much for your Corvette and you want to believe that you could never, ever lock your keys in the car? Or, have an accident, or have someone take it? Check the topics for "locked my keys in my car".
If you give them a credit card they will automatically renew it. I just keep a record of the date and call them before the renewal to confirm the pricing. Mine has not gone up since 2008. If you don't want it don't renew it. Move on.
Big brother aside it is very cheap insurance. Oh and it is not going away. ALL manufacturers are coming on board with this service. You are going to get all sorts of notices about service and programs. It is the new money making product for the dealerships.
Here is a minimal plan I would like to see Onstar offer:
1) Automatic call to 911 if an accident occurs
2) Open car if you lock your keys in
3) Locate car if stolen

I dont need directions, cell phone minutes, vehicle health reports, someone to tell me the best restaurant, and the rest of the fluff.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:27 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Brettbolt.....

Isn't that the plan already offered as the Basic Plan (your minimal requirements)? I believe all the other items you listed are cost optional or opt in's at no charge.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:40 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,331 Likes on 1,667 Posts

I'm glad I had onstar when I put my golf bag & clubs in the back...with my keys still in the golf bag. They had me unlocked in a few minutes.
That alone was worth the price of the service.

I wish the onstar phone had a way of storing missed calls and could store voice messages.

Get notified of new replies

To Onstar

Old 06-28-2013, 01:01 AM
See5see6
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 131 Posts

RnLi,

Your OnStar Vehicle Diagnostic emails are based on a 30 day cycle from the enrollment date. The OnStar Vehicle Diagnostic report will automatically transmit diagnostic data every 30 days on a predetermined date and time. If no one drives your vehicle on that date, the data will transmit the next time your engine is turned on.

So for example, if the vehicle isn’t started on a regular basis and the triggers were set for the 25th, but the vehicle was parked from the 24th to the 29th and then started on the 30th, the email will send on the 30th. I hope this helps clarify. Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Once I let my Corvette sit for a few weeks, the e-mail diagnostic reports stop. They don't start again. Ever. They just stop. I'll be keeping my subscription alive however. But the reports stopped when I got sick a few months ago and that was that. I guess I don't need to be reminded about tire pressure anyway since I'm on top of it without a reminder.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:31 AM
brettbolt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RnLi
Brettbolt.....

Isn't that the plan already offered as the Basic Plan (your minimal requirements)? I believe all the other items you listed are cost optional or opt in's at no charge.
The cheapest plan I could find is the "Safe & Sound" plan at $18.95 a month, which has more than I need. Maybe they have a more basic plan hidden somewhere? Here is where I saw the two plans: https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/planspricing
Old 06-28-2013, 08:01 AM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

You should be able to get S&S for 149/year. Maybe they have gone up on pricing. Talk to a rep and see if you can get that price. Don't give them a CC number, though. Always pay by check.

Quick Reply: Onstar