C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil temp after pan gasket change

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:26 PM
wzp
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil temp after pan gasket change

I have read the posts on LS3 oil pan gasket leaks. Thanks to all the info I have read, I had mine checked. It was leaking, and the dealer did replace it under warranty, witch expired two days ago. Before the change, my normal oil temp was between 226-232 deg. using paddle shifts ,with spirited driving. Ambient air temp, 75-90 deg. After pan gasket change, oil temp is 228-241 deg. Ambient air temp 80- 95 with 85% humidity. Spirited driving. Has anyone else had this happen? Could dealer have done something wrong. Possible air temp making the differance? thanks.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll give this a shot, but I'm no C6 service tech.

You're talkin a difference of 2 degrees on the low side and 9 degrees on the high side for oil temp, and a difference of 10 degrees on the low side and 5 degrees on the high side for the ambient temp. I say quit lookin at the oil temp and enjoy the view out of the windshield. Not a problem.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:43 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If 6 qts of oil was not put back in the engine and only 51/2 qts this could be the temp diff ,I would check the coolent temp that would raise before the oil temp would.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:57 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

No problem. Don't worry about it.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:56 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by REDC4CORVETTE
If 6 qts of oil was not put back in the engine and only 51/2 qts this could be the temp diff ,I would check the coolent temp that would raise before the oil temp would.
I'd agree about also checking coolant temps and relating them to oil temps. The degree of "spirited" driving can also make a big difference.

However, only if the OP had the Z51 option, would his engine require 6 quarts. Since he seems to run a little higher oil temps and the Z51 option includes an oil cooler, it's more likely he has the base or F55 option. It's still a good idea that he check the oil level anyway.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Changing your oil pan gasket has no effect on your oil temp.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Mach2

You're talkin a difference of 2 degrees on the low side and 9 degrees on the high side for oil temp, and a difference of 10 degrees on the low side and 5 degrees on the high side for the ambient temp. I say quit lookin at the oil temp and enjoy the view out of the windshield. Not a problem.

I think he nailed it.

Our 2009 has Z51 with the A6, so it has no oil cooler. OP's temps are about right for a no-cooler car, and will vary a LOT depending on outside temp, speed, and rpm.

We run oil temps of 220-230 on the highway in most conditions, but it goes up very quickly if I start using a lot of power or rpm.

Check that you aren't low on oil, then go out and have fun.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:35 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wzp
I have read the posts on LS3 oil pan gasket leaks. Thanks to all the info I have read, I had mine checked. It was leaking, and the dealer did replace it under warranty, witch expired two days ago. Before the change, my normal oil temp was between 226-232 deg. using paddle shifts ,with spirited driving. Ambient air temp, 75-90 deg. After pan gasket change, oil temp is 228-241 deg. Ambient air temp 80- 95 with 85% humidity. Spirited driving. Has anyone else had this happen? Could dealer have done something wrong. Possible air temp making the differance? thanks.
What happened?

Resealing the oil pan has no affect on oil temperature.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:05 PM
wzp
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the feedback. Before I even left the dealer, I checked oil level, because they had on invoice 7 qts. I said with new filter it only takes 6. Because pan was completely dry, it took just a little more than 6. Said they had to round up to next qt. for paper work. Have been checking level before and after driving. It's perfect on the stick. It's got to be because of outside temps. Thanks again.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:07 PM
hawkandersonjr
Burning Brakes

Location: US-ARMY 1974-1996 Retired ; Oklahoma, City ; Atlanta, Ga: Hephzibah, Ga
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mach2

I agree

Get notified of new replies

To Oil temp after pan gasket change

Quick Reply: Oil temp after pan gasket change