C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-runflats / You get a flat / What do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 01:02 PM
DubsAndSubs
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont use slime unless you want to buy a new TPMS sensor. Get a plug kit and compressor, or go back to runflats.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:12 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I have a portable compressor, plug kit, flashlight, mover's blanket to lie on, and have towing coverage with my insurance company just in case the tire isn't repairable. The stock GY RFs are still on the car and since the car is quite new they'll be running on this car for some time. When I need new tires I'll opt for RFs again, probably FS or Michelin. I feel secure enough with this contingency plan.

Last edited by iclick; 06-19-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:43 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

By the way how do the run flats exactly work? If you get a flat, does the tire pressure light come on that you have low pressure but you can keep on driving for a 100 miles or so until you can repair it?
Old 06-19-2013, 02:03 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Carry a Genuine Innovations tire repair kit and have RVRoadhelp towing service. Their promise is that they will tow ANYTHING you're driving or riding to wherever you have to go to get repaired. Have used them twice and both times they sent a flatbed. Waaay better than AAA+.

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvresources/rvroadhelp/
Old 06-19-2013, 02:03 PM
white90conv
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
By the way how do the run flats exactly work? If you get a flat, does the tire pressure light come on that you have low pressure but you can keep on driving for a 100 miles or so until you can repair it?
1. The low pressure light will come on but you can continue to drive.

2. The bottle of slime says that it will not ruin the sensors

3. If you have a cut in a non runflat tire, you cannot make use of a compressor, the car will have to be towed. My most recent experience (a month ago) with a flat involved a 2" x 2" cut from hitting debris.

4. I use runflats and don't buy the arguments that they have significant disadvantages. I had a set of non runflats on my 2000 and they seemed about the same in ride and handling as the runflats they replaced and were about the same as the subsequent runflats I had installed.

I think that runflats are good insurance and worth the modestly higher price for premium tires.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:14 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I just change it with my spare tire that I have in the trunk.

Lookup my previous post about 2 years ago....I built my own spare tire mount in the back of my C6.

Good times! No worries at all.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:42 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't had a flat yet, but here's what I heard from a friend who's owned several corvettes:

1. If where you live or where you drive has areas without cell phone reception or in the middle of nowhere, then run-flats are good "insurance policy" to have.

2. BUT if you spend your entire existence in the city and suburbia where there's always cell phone reception (like me), then just get AAA membership for the towing benefit, and using non-run flats for slightly better performance is fine because: EVEN IF YOU HAD run-flat tire and got a flat tire, chances are you would STILL stop your car and call AAA to send a flat-bed, rather than driving around town on the flat "non-flat". As for your concern of tow truck screwing up your car, don't worry, just don't let a regular tow-truck touch your car (and they should already know better). Tell the AAA people that your car is low to the ground and REQUIRES a flat bed, they will send it, no extra charge.

I have factory goodyears run flats, but when they are ready to be switched, I'll probably get some non-run-flats that will give me better ride. This is my daily driver and even a little more ride comfort or less noise is a good investment.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:08 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam_W

EVEN IF YOU HAD run-flat tire and got a flat tire, chances are you would STILL stop your car and call AAA to send a flat-bed, rather than driving around town on the flat "non-flat".

"EVEN IF YOU HAD run-flat tire and got a flat tire, chances are you would STILL stop your car and call AAA to send a flat-bed, rather than driving around town on the flat "non-flat".

^ Say WHAT ???? Why wouldn't one do as intended and drive it to a tire shop, the dealer or home ??!! If you ran out of gas would you call AAA to send a flat bed rather than a can of gas ??
Old 06-19-2013, 03:26 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Sheesh, does everyone only drive within 100 miles of home or a tire shop? AAA+ is only good for 100 miles w/o more $$$. RVRoadhelp doesn't cost extra for 'extra' miles.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Well, perhaps I have some misconceptions you can clear up, and I don't claim to know much about this:

* Doesn't driving on a flat run-flat - say for 25 miles to your preferred shop - run the risk of making a repairable tire unrepairable?

* Although run-flats can be repairable, won't many places refuse to repair a run-flat when doing things "by the book" (because that's the official rule with some run-flats) when they would repair the same damage on a regular tire?

* Is there not increased risk of wheel damage when driving on a flat run-flat - if you hit some bumps?

Here is my take: the above are all possibilities, however small, and the cost of tires and wheels are not cheap for our cars. If I have already paid for AAA membership and it costs me *nothing* to have it towed to my preferred shop on a flat bed, why take a chance on the above happening? AAA towing service is quick in many areas like mine, and you'd have trouble finding a place for your car to break down in Orange County that is not within a stone's throw of an espresso bar or at least Starbucks

So anyway, I figure that if I'm going to call AAA for a flat tire regardless, there's no point in runflats for me so I'll just get a non-run-flat tire that offers better ride / sound.

Last edited by Adam_W; 06-19-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TerryL
Sheesh, does everyone only drive within 100 miles of home or a tire shop? AAA+ is only good for 100 miles w/o more $$$. RVRoadhelp doesn't cost extra for 'extra' miles.
I know some people drive far from home every day. Me: I work less than 4 miles from my home, and I often go a week or two without leaving an 8 or 10 mile radius.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:42 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Carry cash, credit cards, cell phone, and a side arm. No problem too great that you can't fix.

109K visiting 47 states in my '08 and had 2 flats with runflats and 1 blowout with non-RF. Used the first three items, as the fourth wasn't necessary.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 06-19-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:46 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

AAA is good for 100 miles no matter where you are. 100 miles from your breakdown point to a shop repairing or replacing the tire should be doable in most any case.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:57 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Adam_W

* Doesn't driving on a flat run-flat - say for 25 miles to your preferred shop - run the risk of making a repairable tire unrepairable? That's what run flat tires were designed to do - allow you to drive on them to the shop

* Although run-flats can be repairable, won't many places refuse to repair a run-flat when doing things "by the book" (because that's the official rule with some run-flats) when they would repair the same damage on a regular tire? Some run flats loose warranty if repaired - some if repaired a second time - but if a non run flat tire can be repaired with the same damage, so too can a run flat

* Is there not increased risk of wheel damage when driving on a flat run-flat - if you hit some bumps? You drive sensibly on the airless run flat - drive for the conditions at hand just like you would far any other road condition and your rims will be fine.

Here is my take: the above are all possibilities, however small, and the cost of tires and wheels are not cheap for our cars. If I have already paid for AAA membership and it costs me *nothing* to have it towed to my preferred shop on a flat bed, why take a chance on the above happening? AAA towing service is quick in many areas like mine, and you'd have trouble finding a place for your car to break down in Orange County that is not within a stone's throw of an espresso bar or at least Starbucks
Ever see them drag a Corvette with a flat tire onto a roll back - and it gets worse if the roll back can't get close to the car and consequently the car has to be driven or dragged even further.

Sitting stranded in your car on a dark rainy night, barely off the shoulder of the highway, with cars whizzing by at 70mph, for whatever short or long period of time AAA takes to get there, is less than appealing to me. I'd rather continue driving to safety and repairs, when there is a tire which permits the same. But to each their own . . .
Old 06-19-2013, 04:06 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
AAA is good for 100 miles no matter where you are. 100 miles from your breakdown point to a shop repairing or replacing the tire should be doable in most any case.
Doesn't sound like you get out of PA very often. What if a driver was in the middle of Montana or Wyoming? Why pay more than you have to?
Old 06-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Ever see them drag a Corvette with a flat tire onto a roll back - and it gets worse if the roll back can't get close to the car and consequently the car has to be driven or dragged even further.

Sitting stranded in your car on a dark rainy night, barely off the shoulder of the highway, with cars whizzing by at 70mph, for whatever short or long period of time AAA takes to get there, is less than appealing to me. I'd rather continue driving to safety and repairs, when there is a tire which permits the same. But to each their own . . .

I appreciate the info: so you're saying that the process of loading a Corvette with a flat tire onto a flat bed truck could damage your car in some way?

If that's the case - and it exceeds the likelihood of damaging your wheels or worsening any runflat tire damage beyond the point of repair - then yeah, I would also prefer run-flats.

I'm just trying to minimize the chance of further cost/damage to my tires or car, because in my situation, I'm okay with calling AAA and waiting at the roadside for a tow truck to come, that's not a deal breaker for me, whereas having to buy a new wheel or tire - that could have been avoided by towing - would be significant for me.

Last edited by Adam_W; 06-19-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:30 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Same **** I do when I get a flat with runflats:
Go to tire shop and get a new tire. Only difference is, I call a tow truck to do it (AAA). Doesn't really matter. My day is shot whether it's a town truck taking me there or my runflats taking me there.

Get notified of new replies

To Non-runflats / You get a flat / What do you do?

Old 06-19-2013, 04:34 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I didn't think there were many places left in this country where you couldn't get a tire with a 100 mile radius. That's driving 200 miles without a place to get a tire (ie: gas station).
Old 06-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Perhaps a better question is when is the last time anyone had a flat tire? I know for me it's been many, many years. It's just not very common nowadays. I'd offer that it happens so rarely that worrying about it is wasted time and effort.
Depends on where you drive, a few years ago we bought a house in a brand new development many houses under construction for the next 18 months either myself or my wife would have a flat once a month !! drywall screws, nails, metal sheathing, large staples, Thank God for discount tire, finally when construction was over so where the flat tires.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:11 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
I didn't think there were many places left in this country where you couldn't get a tire with a 100 mile radius. That's driving 200 miles without a place to get a tire (ie: gas station).
Not very many gas stations will have Corvette tires in stock. So you get towed in and they have to order some tires from the warehouse. What will you be doing for 2-3 days in the middle of nowhere while waiting for your tires? Even if you lucky enough to find a tire dealer with your brand chances are, if you drive a GS or Z06/ZL1, they will have to order the tires as well.

I bought my 2012 GS last April and since then have had three flats. The first two were slow leakers so I could pump them up as many times as needed to get to the tire store. The last I had to drive about 20 miles with zero air. A lot better than sitting in rush hour traffic waiting for a flat bed...

Quick Reply: Non-runflats / You get a flat / What do you do?