Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Closed Thread
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2013, 02:29 AM   #1
GCRoberts
CF Senior Member

 
GCRoberts's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2011
Location: Niagara Falls NY
Greg Roberts
Default I thought I'd have to worry about speeding tickets in my Vette

I get pulled over about once every other year (on average) for speeding. I have a friend who's a Sheriff, so I usually get off pretty easy. I was worried that'd happen much more when I got my Vette. Therefore, I put in a better radar detector (Escort 9500ix with accompanying Escort Live). I have the BlendMount that ensures my detector is always in a good position to function.

My winter/scuba diving rat is a Honda Pilot. My wife has a Honda Accord. Both of these cars have "fair quality" radar detectors. Half the time the damn suction cups on the mount have failed, so the detector is sitting on the floor where it's pretty much useless. That's what happened to me earlier this week in my wife's car. UGH!!!

I've had my Vette a year now and consistently drive over the speed limit....well over what I drive with our other cars. In that time, I haven't been pulled over once in it. However, I've been pulled over twice in the last year in our other vehicles. This really pisses me off because I'm almost ALWAYS in my Vette!

I no longer buy into the "cops love to pull over shiny sports cars" theory. If a cop woke up this morning and said "I think I'll pull over a bright shiny Corvette for speeding today", then I'd be in big trouble for sure. The cop could pick out a concealed spot, then hit me with laser (or Instant On radar). But I think what happens 99% of the time is that they lazily sit at a location with their radar on constantly. Of course they always pick an area that has an unusually low speed limit. As long as your detector picks up the signal in time for you to slow down, you can pretty much drive as fast as you want. They'll just wait until someone without a detector drives by without knowing they need to drop their speed. Ironically, the biggest offenders of the speed limit probably don't get pulled over often.

Have others had the same experience where they live?
GCRoberts is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 02:33 AM   #2
geewez
CF Senior Member

 
geewez's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: San Bruno CA
Default

I always tell people, it's not what you drive but how you drive it that gets our attention.
geewez is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #3
GCRoberts
CF Senior Member

 
GCRoberts's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2011
Location: Niagara Falls NY
Greg Roberts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewez View Post
I always tell people, it's not what you drive but how you drive it that gets our attention.
What specifically are you looking for when you say "how you drive"?

I've heard that before as well. In my Vette, I'm always fast off the line when the light turns green...then back off when I'm a 7 to 10 mph over the speed limit. I typically don't slow down early going into a stop, preferring to hard stop (partially because I can't stand the brake squeal I get when I brake lightly!!). If the weather's nice, my top is down and I'm playing music semi-loudly. I would think these things would get the attention of cops.

The ONLY thing that seems to ever get me in trouble is my speed edging up (in our other vehicles) without a detector to warn me to back off.

Hell, a few months ago I got pulled over (again in my wife's Accord) and the cop said I "slightly rolled through a stop sign". But the main reason he pulled me over was my car matched the description of a stolen car. But the car they were looking for was a Yamaha with New Jersey plates??? A Yamaha car??? WTF!!!! I can speed all day long in my Corvette, but in our Accord I get pulled over because our car looks like a Yamaha??? Try googling Yamaha car and tell me if you think it looks like a Honda!! LOL
GCRoberts is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 03:11 AM   #4
Steve_R
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

 
Steve_R's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Location: Grand Junction Colorado
Default

Ibtl
Steve_R is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
TerryL
CF Senior Member
 
TerryL's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2012
Location: San Jose CA
Default

I'd like to add my heartfelt thanks to the LEO community that keeps their radar units on all the time. That alone combined with my V1 has saved me thousands over the years in my cars and motorcycles throughout the eleven western states. I've also noticed that they never run radar if im running uphill. Downhill yes, but never uphill.
TerryL is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #6
Don-Vette
CF Senior Member
 
Don-Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2011
Location: Tonawanda New York
Default

Sounds to me like your should be more aware of how your driving and more careful. We live in a highly populated area and cops are everywhere.
Don-Vette is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
VET4LES
CF Senior Member
 
VET4LES's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: San Clemente CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRoberts View Post
I get pulled over about once every other year (on average) for speeding. I have a friend who's a Sheriff, so I usually get off pretty easy. I was worried that'd happen much more when I got my Vette. Therefore, I put in a better radar detector (Escort 9500ix with accompanying Escort Live). I have the BlendMount that ensures my detector is always in a good position to function.

My winter/scuba diving rat is a Honda Pilot. My wife has a Honda Accord. Both of these cars have "fair quality" radar detectors. Half the time the damn suction cups on the mount have failed, so the detector is sitting on the floor where it's pretty much useless. That's what happened to me earlier this week in my wife's car. UGH!!!

I've had my Vette a year now and consistently drive over the speed limit....well over what I drive with our other cars. In that time, I haven't been pulled over once in it. However, I've been pulled over twice in the last year in our other vehicles. This really pisses me off because I'm almost ALWAYS in my Vette!

I no longer buy into the "cops love to pull over shiny sports cars" theory. If a cop woke up this morning and said "I think I'll pull over a bright shiny Corvette for speeding today", then I'd be in big trouble for sure. The cop could pick out a concealed spot, then hit me with laser (or Instant On radar). But I think what happens 99% of the time is that they lazily sit at a location with their radar on constantly. Of course they always pick an area that has an unusually low speed limit. As long as your detector picks up the signal in time for you to slow down, you can pretty much drive as fast as you want. They'll just wait until someone without a detector drives by without knowing they need to drop their speed. Ironically, the biggest offenders of the speed limit probably don't get pulled over often.

Have others had the same experience where they live?
VET4LES is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
dvilin
CF Senior Member
 
dvilin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Rochester New York
Default

dvilin is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
boraxman
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2010
Location: Canyon Country, California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
Ibtl
boraxman is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
barduch
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
barduch's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2010
Location: Litchfield Minnesota
Default

I love my V1, Blendmount, and Dashtronix. So far, when it alerts, there has always been ample time to slow and set the cruise control to an "acceptable" speed. It continues to amaze me just how far in advance it warns me.
barduch is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
SilverScorp
CF Senior Member
 
SilverScorp's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Atlanta GA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRoberts View Post
I get pulled over about once every other year (on average) for speeding. I have a friend who's a Sheriff, so I usually get off pretty easy. I was worried that'd happen much more when I got my Vette. Therefore, I put in a better radar detector (Escort 9500ix with accompanying Escort Live). I have the BlendMount that ensures my detector is always in a good position to function.

My winter/scuba diving rat is a Honda Pilot. My wife has a Honda Accord. Both of these cars have "fair quality" radar detectors. Half the time the damn suction cups on the mount have failed, so the detector is sitting on the floor where it's pretty much useless. That's what happened to me earlier this week in my wife's car. UGH!!!

I've had my Vette a year now and consistently drive over the speed limit....well over what I drive with our other cars. In that time, I haven't been pulled over once in it. However, I've been pulled over twice in the last year in our other vehicles. This really pisses me off because I'm almost ALWAYS in my Vette!

I no longer buy into the "cops love to pull over shiny sports cars" theory. If a cop woke up this morning and said "I think I'll pull over a bright shiny Corvette for speeding today", then I'd be in big trouble for sure. The cop could pick out a concealed spot, then hit me with laser (or Instant On radar). But I think what happens 99% of the time is that they lazily sit at a location with their radar on constantly. Of course they always pick an area that has an unusually low speed limit. As long as your detector picks up the signal in time for you to slow down, you can pretty much drive as fast as you want. They'll just wait until someone without a detector drives by without knowing they need to drop their speed. Ironically, the biggest offenders of the speed limit probably don't get pulled over often.

Have others had the same experience where they live?
So let me get this straight, you drive BOTH cars speeding and playing loud music like an idiot, but cant understand why you don't get pulled over in your shiny Corvette? I'll speculate that most LEOs tend to give some tolerance to Corvette drivers because of the stereotype of 'old men drive corvettes' idea. As it turns out old men tend to be careful drivers amongst other people on the road. I'll also speculate that LEOs tend to pull over non-American made cars more often (just a guess). Finally, if they ever start pulling you over in your Corvette you will be on a local LEO watchdog list which will not be good for you at all.
SilverScorp is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
Rich Mickol
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

 
Rich Mickol's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey
Default

Eventually your time will run out. Lets hope he/she is an understanding LEO.
Rich Mickol is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
dvilin
CF Senior Member
 
dvilin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Rochester New York
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverScorp View Post
So let me get this straight, you drive BOTH cars speeding and playing loud music like an idiot, but cant understand why you don't get pulled over in your shiny Corvette? I'll speculate that most LEOs tend to give some tolerance to Corvette drivers because of the stereotype of 'old men drive corvettes' idea. As it turns out old men tend to be careful drivers amongst other people on the road. I'll also speculate that LEOs tend to pull over non-American made cars more often (just a guess). Finally, if they ever start pulling you over in your Corvette you will be on a local LEO watchdog list which will not be good for you at all.
Please tell me you are not serious with these remarks.
dvilin is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
SilverScorp
CF Senior Member
 
SilverScorp's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Atlanta GA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvilin View Post
Please tell me you are not serious with these remarks.
That's why I called it speculation. I doubt its true though.
SilverScorp is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
jpee
CF Senior Member

 
jpee's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 1999
Location: Somers NY
Default

I usually drive 5-10 mph over the limit if traffic is light, and if its 3 am in the morning and there is NO traffic I go as fast as I think it prudent... 80-90-95 mph

& I'll take whatever I have coming to me.. i.e. if he wants to write me up I'll accept it and pay the fine..

Remember if you "Cant do the "FINE" Don't do the Crime"...
__________________
John Panuzzo

"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully
in his sleep. Not screaming in panic like the passengers in his car."
------------------------
05 C6
Best ET 11.61 @ 118 mph
Vararam, KOOKS Headers, FTI Converter,
160 T Stat & Tuned By Cartek

2004 NHRA Div 1 Finalist




jpee@comcast.net
Join the Corvette Challenge

I LUV INSANITY RACING.........
jpee is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #16
Boba Fett
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Boba Fett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRoberts View Post
I have a friend who's a Sheriff, so I usually get off pretty easy
how do you think a statement like this makes you look in the eyes of many let alone your (alleged) LEO frined...?
Boba Fett is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #17
Landru
CF Senior Member
 
Landru's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: Wayne Township WI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryL View Post
I'd like to add my heartfelt thanks to the LEO community that keeps their radar units on all the time.


I'll drink to that.
Landru is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #18
philip_g
CF Senior Member

 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post


I'll drink to that.
me three.
and also, what's with the random locals that still use x band? Don't they know I turn that off?
philip_g is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #19
LMB-Z
CF Senior Member
 
LMB-Z's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: Texarkana Texas
Default

"I've had my Vette a year now and consistently drive over the speed limit"

My question is WHY??? You evidently have no respect for the law and/or other drivers. They put those speed limit signs there for a reason, not just to help out the landscape. Don't get me wrong, I do speed, occasionally, but not consistently. You are the type of person I dread to see on the road. Just my opinion.
LMB-Z is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #20
PittMD1
CF Senior Member
 
PittMD1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2011
Location: Anthem AZ
Default

I have the same problem as the OP. I have had two tickets since I have been here in AZ which is a little over a year. Both of them were from traffic cameras. Both of them while driving the Elantra we used to have. One was legit and the other I got caught making a left turn behind an old lady who stoped part way through making the left turn which left me hanging out in the intersection when it turned red.
PittMD1 is offline  
Old 06-15-2013, 11:33 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page I thought I'd have to worry about speeding tickets in my Vette
 
 
 
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:15 AM.


Emails & Password Backup

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2