C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I thought I'd have to worry about speeding tickets in my Vette

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
"I've had my Vette a year now and consistently drive over the speed limit"

My question is WHY??? You evidently have no respect for the law and/or other drivers. They put those speed limit signs there for a reason, not just to help out the landscape. Don't get me wrong, I do speed, occasionally, but not consistently. You are the type of person I dread to see on the road. Just my opinion.
WHY??? Try to drive the double nickel in N.J. and you will get run over or worse. Now I am not saying that you should do 90 plus during your morning commute, but keeping up with the flow of traffic is always a good idea. Innatentive/impaired driving scares me a hell of a lot more than going 10 over.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:47 AM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I have my V1 in my truck but in all honesty I do not rely on it, gets my attention going through small towns or rural roads

When I am in the Vette I am not in a hurry and we just enjoy the ride, and ATTENTION LOL
Old 06-16-2013, 12:05 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

One of the most dangerous people on the road is the guy who is going along in the fast lane at exactly the speed limit who is thinking to himself that he is going darn fast enough for anyone. He is piling people up behind him making them mad and those people will do dumb things to get around him when they are angry. He is much more dangerous than someone going 10 over. If someone wants to go by me at 100 I will gladly let him go and get out of his way...no hard feelings.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:43 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by jpee
I never said that! How can "I" abuse my position if the officer who stopped me made the decision NOT to write me up.. its "HIS" decision not mine... weather I'm a LEO or NOT.. if he deems it necessary to write me up he should & will I assume,,

If I stop another LEO I make the decision weather or not to write him up... YES if the average driver is 15 over the limit I "MIGHT" wright him up.. or maybe not.. his attitude & circumstances make a difference...

If he is DWI (LEO or NOT) its a no brainier he gets written up.. however if he is 15 mph over the limit and there is no traffic and its late at night... I might let it go... The same goes for "Joe" average citizen.. if he is 15 over and its 3 am with no traffic, and he has a good attitude.. he most likely will walk with a "VERBAL" warning... but if the first words out of his mouth are "I PAY YOUR SALARY" I tell him I'll see you in court

A lot of variables go into a decision if a LEO writes up another LEO.. its not a "GET OUT OF JAIL FREE" if you have a badge... !!
Right, that's why you showed your badge.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=GCRoberts;1584164756

I was almost sideswiped a few hours ago, but a driver obeying the speed limit. Pushing the speed limit doesn't make you an unsafe driver.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Speeding in a Corvette is a hell of a lot different from speeding in those boring commuter appliances you see recklessly clogging up the interstates.

This car was designed to accelerate up to speeds, handle the speeds, and stop in a drastic fashion from said speeds. Doing over isn't going to hurt anything.

I find these days speed limits are more revenue generators than actual safety regulators.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:47 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
Right, that's why you showed your badge.
By me showing my badge, does that mean he "WILL AUTOMATICALLY LET ME WALK WITH NO SUMMONS?"

Its still his decision as to weather I get a summons or not... Same goes for me, If I stop another LEO and he is DWI I'll write him up...

However if I stopped him for a minor infraction, I most likely would hive him a "Verbal Warning" same goes for "Joe average citizen"

Usually the circumstances determine weather I write him up or not.. I personally received a summons on the Tappan Zee Bridge at 3 am by a NY State Trooper for doing 55 mph in a 45 mph construction zone.. even though there was NO work being done at that time of night...

Went to court and the prosecutor threw it out, and told me that the officer (an over weight female minority) had received so many complaints that the Dept investigated her, and she was placed on "modified duty" (A desk Job permanently) Last I heard she was working in "Records Room" shuffling paperwork..

Last edited by jpee; 06-16-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:53 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

By me showing my badge, does that mean he "WILL AUTOMATICALLY LET ME WALK WITH NO SUMMONS?"

Its still his decision as to weather I get a summons or not... Same goes for me, If I stop another LEO and he is DWI I'll write him up...

However if I stopped him for a minor infraction, I most likely would hive him a "Verbal Warning" same goes for "Joe average citizen"

Usually the circumstances determine weather I write him up or not.. I personally received a summons on the Tappan Zee Bridge at 3 am by a NY State Trooper for doing 55 mph in a 45 mph construction zone.. even though there was NO work being done at that time of night...

Went to court and the prosecutor threw it out, and told me that the officer (an over weight female minority) had received so many complaints that the Dept investigated her, and she was placed on "modified duty" (A desk Job permanently) Last I heard she was working in "Records Room" shuffling paperwork..

"By me showing my badge, does that mean he "WILL AUTOMATICALLY LET ME WALK WITH NO SUMMONS?"

Yah, It only means that you have a 90% chance of not getting a ticket instead of the 10% the rest of us do. You're trying to justify that showing your badge is just common courtesy but in you heart you know that's not why you showed it. I have lost most of my faith in the judicial system and you're one of the many reason why.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:00 PM
geewez
Melting Slicks

Received 224 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by GCRoberts
What specifically are you looking for when you say "how you drive"?

I've heard that before as well. In my Vette, I'm always fast off the line when the light turns green...then back off when I'm a 7 to 10 mph over the speed limit. I typically don't slow down early going into a stop, preferring to hard stop (partially because I can't stand the brake squeal I get when I brake lightly!!). If the weather's nice, my top is down and I'm playing music semi-loudly. I would think these things would get the attention of cops.

The ONLY thing that seems to ever get me in trouble is my speed edging up (in our other vehicles) without a detector to warn me to back off.

Hell, a few months ago I got pulled over (again in my wife's Accord) and the cop said I "slightly rolled through a stop sign". But the main reason he pulled me over was my car matched the description of a stolen car. But the car they were looking for was a Yamaha with New Jersey plates??? A Yamaha car??? WTF!!!! I can speed all day long in my Corvette, but in our Accord I get pulled over because our car looks like a Yamaha??? Try googling Yamaha car and tell me if you think it looks like a Honda!! LOL
When I said "how you drive" I meant if you drive like an asshat. I don't care if you're a few over the posted limit or didn't signal etc. But if the driver blows a posted stop sign or a solid red light, he's going to get pulled over. I'm not talking about rolling Hollywood stops either. The guy who gets my attention is the guy who enters an intersection a second or two after it's turned solid red will get pulled over because that's how accidents at intersections happen. The guy who is zipping in and out of lanes quickly and without signaling will get my attention. I don't go after exotic cars, muscle or sports cars because I expect the drivers to speed but if you drive like an idiot you'll get pulled over.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:56 PM
jpee
Race Director

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
"By me showing my badge, does that mean he "WILL AUTOMATICALLY LET ME WALK WITH NO SUMMONS?"

Yah, It only means that you have a 90% chance of not getting a ticket instead of the 10% the rest of us do. You're trying to justify that showing your badge is just common courtesy but in you heart you know that's not why you showed it. I have lost most of my faith in the judicial system and you're one of the many reason why.
If it bothers you "THAT" much you should have been a LEO instead the line of work you chose...

Every thing has its "perks" so maybe YES I get a break when you don't...bottom line is "Tough Noogies" I get a break & you DON'T.. Learn to live with it because you CAN'T change it !!

Unless you can write a "Program" that will eliminate "Professional Courtesy" that is common among most LEO!!

Last edited by jpee; 06-16-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:05 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

If it bothers you "THAT" much you should have been a LEO instead the line of work you chose...

Every thing has its "perks" so maybe YES I get a break when you don't...bottom line is "Tough Noogies" I get a break & you DON'T.. Learn to live with it because you CAN'T change it !!

Unless you can write a "Program" that will eliminate "Professional Courtesy" that is common among most LEO!!
You confirm what most of us suspect. Bragging about it on a public forum makes you and every other LEO look like an asshat for not enforcing the law equally as you're supposed to do.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:17 PM
jpee
Race Director

Originally Posted by Steve_R
You confirm what most of us suspect. Bragging about it on a public forum makes you and every other LEO look like an asshat for not enforcing the law equally as you're supposed to do.
There is "No Way" I'll ever change your mind or train of thought or opinion...I know that and admit it.. but you have to admit FACTS are FACTS...

Some LEO will give other LEO a break. & YES some WILL NOT and go by the BOOK....

It just depends on weather you get one who will cut you some slack or one who will go by the letter of the law!!
Old 06-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

There is "No Way" I'll ever change your mind or train of thought or opinion...I know that and admit it.. but you have to admit FACTS are FACTS...

Some LEO will give other LEO a break. & YES some WILL NOT and go by the BOOK....

It just depends on weather you get one who will cut you some slack or one who will go by the letter of the law!!
Change my mind about what???

Whether.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:30 PM
jpee
Race Director

Change my mind about what???

Whether.
I get the opinion you are not exactly fond of LEO... I could be wrong but reading between the lines you don't like the way the system works... and that is FINE everyone is entitled to "Their" opinion...

You think I make LEO look like an asshat ... & that is Ok with me... you are entitled to your opinion...

As for how the "system" works .. trust me "You" wont ever change it...it is what it is !!
Old 06-16-2013, 08:41 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

I get the opinion you are not exactly fond of LEO... I could be wrong but reading between the lines you don't like the way the system works... and that is FINE everyone is entitled to "Their" opinion...

You think I make LEO look like an asshat ... & that is Ok with me... you are entitled to your opinion...

As for how the "system" works .. trust me "You" wont ever change it...it is what it is !!
Arrogance at its best...
Old 06-16-2013, 08:52 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Just a tad arrogant I'll agree but at least it's here in black and white for those that didn't already know it.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:36 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by GCRoberts
What specifically are you looking for when you say "how you drive"?

I've heard that before as well. In my Vette, I'm always fast off the line when the light turns green...then back off when I'm a 7 to 10 mph over the speed limit. I typically don't slow down early going into a stop, preferring to hard stop (partially because I can't stand the brake squeal I get when I brake lightly!!). If the weather's nice, my top is down and I'm playing music semi-loudly. I would think these things would get the attention of cops.

The ONLY thing that seems to ever get me in trouble is my speed edging up (in our other vehicles) without a detector to warn me to back off.

Hell, a few months ago I got pulled over (again in my wife's Accord) and the cop said I "slightly rolled through a stop sign". But the main reason he pulled me over was my car matched the description of a stolen car. But the car they were looking for was a Yamaha with New Jersey plates??? A Yamaha car??? WTF!!!! I can speed all day long in my Corvette, but in our Accord I get pulled over because our car looks like a Yamaha??? Try googling Yamaha car and tell me if you think it looks like a Honda!! LOL
I would guess driving erratic and cutting in and out of lanes.i NEVER hang out in the left lane.cops gun that lane because that is where the speeders hang out.use common sence when you want to stretch her legs.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Tom45
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PittMD1
Maybe it is just the area I live in now but in Phoenix no one is going slower than the 5-10 over and most are going 15-20 over.
When the traffic is light, people are driving that speed in So. Calif too. I was on the freeway yesterday morning going 75-80 and there were cars passing me. Actually, I was going about the same speed as many of the cars.

Get notified of new replies

To I thought I'd have to worry about speeding tickets in my Vette

Old 06-16-2013, 10:14 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

I don't have issues with speeding, my problems have been with no front plate. Young cops luv to ticket for a missing plate, older cops could care less.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:29 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 06-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Arrogance at its best...

Been seeing that quite a bit from some of our forum cops. Quite disturbing to say the least.

Quick Reply: I thought I'd have to worry about speeding tickets in my Vette