C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical system C6

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 PM
John 511
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Electrical system C6

Thinking about getting extended warentee for electrical components. Has anybody had any bad experiences with nav., on star, ect.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Anthony s
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

No real problems with my 08, bought the warrantee from Dennis,. Had the dealer replace rear axle grease, oil pan gasket & headlight lenses.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:51 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

70 people have read your post and 1 has responded with issues that weren't electrical related. Does that tell you the probability of electrical issues? And remember what you are buying is an insurance policy from a company that sells insurance to make a profit. What you pay for the policy is always going to be more than the average claim experience of the company. And the average claim experience is going to be increased by "adverse selection". Adverse selection means people who expect to have more issues because they tend to not take car of their cars will buy the insurance and people who do maintenance and care for their cars will not buy the insurance.

So, if you want to treat your car like any other kid's toy, buy the insurance. It MIGHT pay for itself. If, on the other hand, you try not to abuse your car and can afford the small risk of a $200 repair, you are better off self insuring. Put the premium in the bank and you should have plenty of money in the off chance you are the one in more than 70 who has a repair.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:45 PM
John 511
Instructor

Default Electrical system

Great , so far I'm impressed. Buying a 05 with all options started to think the worst. I expect some repairs, but it's good to know probably not to many.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:50 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Problems with Corvettes, none, that is a joke!

Practically every "big" problem on my 06 C6 A6 F55 NAV has been mechanical. My biggest electrical problem has been the battery, finally after three batteries, bought an Optima Red Top.

As for more details on electrical:
1. crank sensor,
2. steering sensor,
3. wheel sensor,
4. 3 batteries (caused many goofy problems),
5. seat motor sensor (random positioning OR no sensing, located in seat motor assembly).

On mechancial, etc:
1. three (3) differentials,
2. rear wheel bearing,
3. three (3) shifters,
4. rear suspension links,
5. transmission cooling hoses,
6. hood shocks,
7. door shims,
8. top separation,
9. harmonic balancer,
10. loose exhaust clamps.

BIGGEST PROBLEM!: Dealers use "delay, delay, and delay", usually will fix on THIRD TRY! Goofy excuses for "normal problems" they don't think are, BUT which really are real problems. These dealer responses will make your head spin! Eg. like: "That is normal", etc. The problems can be squeaks, thumps, whine, howling, clicking, etc.

Others, please chime in and add to the list, thanks!

Have a better Vette experience!

PS: That is most of them, may have missed a few, my warranty list history was two plus (2+) pages long.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:51 PM
John 511
Instructor

Default Problems

Does this seem normal?
Old 06-11-2013, 12:03 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Yes!

Originally Posted by John 511
Does this seem normal?
Yes, in MY car!

PS: A few others have had similar experiences, the biggest problem is GM "stealerships!"

Last edited by 2006c6keller; 06-11-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John 511
...Buying a 05...
If someone is trying to sell you an extended warranty for a 2005, it's almost certainly a "third party" warranty (in other words, it's not a GM Warranty). With few exceptions, third party warranties generally aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Most have tons of exclusions, and many of these companies seem to disappear the day before you actually need them.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:27 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Bought my 06 and the driver side heat warmer doesn't work. Have yet to call up my 3rd party warranty that covers bumper to bumper. Its to hot for it now though in Houston. So I am not to worried about it.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:48 AM
LSD 2005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zero electrical problems with my 05 1SB F55 NAV. However, I'm on my third battery due to not driving regularly and no battery tender to keep the battery charged. My third battery is a Optima Yellow Top and to keep it fully charged, I purchased a CTEK Multi US 3300 12-Volt Smart Battery Charger.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I have a 2006 coupe. Replaced battery after six years. Only other problem was an Air Bag warning light illuminated. Turned out to be the connector under the drivers seat that needed to be reseated and tie wrapped. No other problems to date.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:12 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

(QUOTE=2006c6keller;1584107303]Practically every "big" problem on my 06 C6 A6 F55 NAV has been mechanical. My biggest electrical problem has been the battery, finally after three batteries, bought an Optima Red Top.

As for more details on electrical:
1. crank sensor,
2. steering sensor,
3. wheel sensor,
4. 3 batteries (caused many goofy problems),
5. seat motor sensor (random positioning OR no sensing, located in seat motor assembly).

On mechancial, etc:
1. three (3) differentials,
2. rear wheel bearing,
3. three (3) shifters,
4. rear suspension links,
5. transmission cooling hoses,
6. hood shocks,
7. door shims,
8. top separation,
9. harmonic balancer,
10. loose exhaust clamps.

BIGGEST PROBLEM!: Dealers use "delay, delay, and delay", usually will fix on THIRD TRY! Goofy excuses for "normal problems" they don't think are, BUT which really are real problems. These dealer responses will make your head spin! Eg. like: "That is normal", etc. The problems can be squeaks, thumps, whine, howling, clicking, etc.

Others, please chime in and add to the list, thanks!

Have a better Vette experience!

PS: That is most of them, may have missed a few, my warranty list history was two plus (2+) pages long.[/QUOTE]

I feel for you. Sounds like my '84. I replaced everything on the Car at least two times.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Last year I had to have the NAV unit in my 08 replaced. The thing went crazy with the screen opening up to reveal the CD and DVD disc players, with the NAV display flashing through all of its settings so rapidly you couldn't see them. GM refurbished Nav units are $1295 and GMPP paid for the part and labor. Most of the problems have been mechanical with the biggest being a replacement engine.

The engine was replaced on GM's dime but my 7 year/56K mile GMPP Major Guard plan cost me $2500 and it has paid for itself in just over two years.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 06-11-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:46 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
70 people have read your post and 1 has responded with issues that weren't electrical related. Does that tell you the probability of electrical issues? And remember what you are buying is an insurance policy from a company that sells insurance to make a profit. What you pay for the policy is always going to be more than the average claim experience of the company.
Also consider that this profit factor is the case at the cost of the policy to the dealer. He must also sell the policy at a profit, which is usually quite high, making it even more heavily weighted against the buyer.

And the average claim experience is going to be increased by "adverse selection". Adverse selection means people who expect to have more issues because they tend to not take car of their cars will buy the insurance and people who do maintenance and care for their cars will not buy the insurance.

So, if you want to treat your car like any other kid's toy, buy the insurance. It MIGHT pay for itself. If, on the other hand, you try not to abuse your car and can afford the small risk of a $200 repair, you are better off self insuring. Put the premium in the bank and you should have plenty of money in the off chance you are the one in more than 70 who has a repair.
That's the way I look at it and have purchased extended coverage only once 25 years ago when a dealer salesman offered it to me for a very low price (<50% off) so he would win a trip to Hawaii offered to the seller of the most policies. I think in that case I came out ahead in the long run, but ascribe to your suggestion that the chances are better than I normally wouldn't.

Last edited by iclick; 06-12-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:28 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

An extended warranty is an insurance policy. Think of it like your homeowners insurance...you are paying a small monthly fee to cover the cost of the risk. Not many people hope that their house burns down so that their homeowners insurance "pays for itself". Most of us pay for our homeowners insurance and never have a claim...this is a good thing. Same for the extended warranty.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
An extended warranty is an insurance policy. Think of it like your homeowners insurance...you are paying a small monthly fee to cover the cost of the risk. Not many people hope that their house burns down so that their homeowners insurance "pays for itself". Most of us pay for our homeowners insurance and never have a claim...this is a good thing. Same for the extended warranty.
I would say it is more like medical insurance. If you don't have medical insurance you pay full price for the services while your insurance company pays 25% or even less for the same service. GMPP pays much less for parts than you will pay unless you are getting yours from the junk yard. If I had replaced the NAV unit in my car with a GM refurbished unit I would have paid the $1295 but GMPP didn't pay anywhere near that much.

Based on the JD Power 3 year Dependability Studys that are released every year 3 year old GM and Toyota vehicles average around 2 repairs of all kinds per year. GM's average is a little above 2 and Toyota's is a little below 2. It has been that way over the last decade. As with all things made by humans the average increases with the age of the product.

It only takes two electronic failures for the policy to pay for itself. Any additional repairs are gravy after that. You only lose if your car is much better than average on repairs. If I could get the parts for the same cost they do then the policy wouldn't be worth the cost. Parts costs are what make buying the policy a worthwhile risk. Throw in the cost of labor which they get at a discount and the cost of tools (like a Tech 2) that you would have to buy to do some of the work and it becomes an even better deal.

Bill
Old 06-12-2013, 04:21 PM
cclive
Team Owner

I agree with you Bill...in fact I have the GMPP from Dennis. Really, my only point is in the way we think of the coverage. To me, the medical insurance, homeowners and GMPP are all close to the same. I do not hope that I have some terrible disease to get my medical insurance to pay for itself; I do not hope that my house gets damaged so that my homeowners insurance pays for itself and I don't hope that something will go wrong with my Vert so that GMPP pays for itself. I will be just as thrilled if my Vert never has a problem...just like my health. I pay the premium not as a total to be added up and compared to any loss; I pay it as the cost of someone else assuming my risk. The original warranty is a warranty...the GMPP is an insurance policy. So anyway, I guess that having been an insurance broker, I wanted to clarify the way I think of risk and insurance...but I don't disagree with you...you weigh the risk and buy or don't buy insurance based on your assessment of that risk.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with the 2 previous posts...IF we are talking about a reputable warranty like GMPP.

If a dealer is trying to sell the OP an extended warranty on an 8 year old used car, I bet the warranty is some worthless 3rd party junk that the OP will never be able to collect on when he needs it.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:00 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
I agree with the 2 previous posts...IF we are talking about a reputable warranty like GMPP.

If a dealer is trying to sell the OP an extended warranty on an 8 year old used car, I bet the warranty is some worthless 3rd party junk that the OP will never be able to collect on when he needs it.
Just like buying a policy from Uncle Louie's Life Insurance Corp.

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical system C6

Quick Reply: Electrical system C6