C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

recorded cd's

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 01:38 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

What I dont get is why does it play fine three or four times then static shows up. Nothing is being done to the cd when its playing so why does it start to fail the more you play it. How its being burned should not be a factor if it plays fine for the first few times its used.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:22 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by EVRose
What I dont get is why does it play fine three or four times then static shows up. Nothing is being done to the cd when its playing so why does it start to fail the more you play it. How its being burned should not be a factor if it plays fine for the first few times its used.
exactly.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:31 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
I thought a compact disc was always digital.
they are digital. but, you have the choice to record in analog or digital input when recording from the sony recorder. i'm just wondering if that would have any kind of affect on play back in certain cd players.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:57 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy47
they are digital. but, you have the choice to record in analog or digital input when recording from the sony recorder. i'm just wondering if that would have any kind of affect on play back in certain cd players.
Could be static being introduced into the system during the analog phase of the recorder...you could certainly try using the digital input. But I agree with EVRose that it is very strange that the static doesn't show up right away but only starts after playing a few times. The disc has not changed from one playing to the next as the deck in the car is not capable of burning, only playing. Very strange....
Old 06-15-2013, 02:25 AM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Ive had more trouble with skipping and cutting out on burnt CD's used in this player than I ever had with another stock unit. It seems to be very finicky with the quality of your burn and the quality of the CD's. Also, even though it might be slightly off track and wasn't mentioned, it does not play CD-RW's. Quite shocking, honestly.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:16 AM
blkvet6
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
I listen to CDs and MP3s and have not had a problem in my 2006 vert.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:25 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Excellent info, thanks!

Do you have one particular link that spells out how to burn MP3 CD's??
Old 06-16-2013, 06:50 PM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy47
i record on blank cd's for my listening pleasure so i don't have to listen to the radio or the xm radio. after playing them in 013 cd player i start to hear static coming thru the speakers. not right away mind you, but after playing a disc for the fourth or fifth time is when i hear the static. they all start off playing just fine. has anyone else ever noticed this, or am i the only one that listens to the cd player? this is the fourth disc that i've had the problem with.
I have experienced this as well. Some cd's I've made will play fine in most players , but not all will play in all players. [ house , other cars etc.] I'm pretty sure it is the cd's or the recording process on those particular discs. And the static seems to occur near the end of the later tracks. Could be a compatibility issue. I don't think it's your player if it only does it on certain cd's . Try another brand of blanks , rerecord from a known good source , and try it again . Good luck .
Old 06-16-2013, 07:12 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by REVAK
I have experienced this as well. Some cd's I've made will play fine in most players , but not all will play in all players. [ house , other cars etc.] I'm pretty sure it is the cd's or the recording process on those particular discs. And the static seems to occur near the end of the later tracks. Could be a compatibility issue. I don't think it's your player if it only does it on certain cd's . Try another brand of blanks , rerecord from a known good source , and try it again . Good luck .
i thought sony was a quality brand blank cd. and recording on a sony cd recorder would make it very compatible, no?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:13 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
Excellent info, thanks!

Do you have one particular link that spells out how to burn MP3 CD's??

Just about every computer has Windows media player,under the "Burn" tab open it and click on Data CD instead of Audio CD.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:44 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Just about every computer has Windows media player,under the "Burn" tab open it and click on Data CD instead of Audio CD.
Nope. Won't work at all if you have a nav. It doesn't need a "data" CD. It needs an MP3 CD. The directories are different. Yes, Windows Media Player says it will create an MP3 disc but it is just a data disc that Windows OS can read, not an MP3 disc that all MP3 players can read. Some can - C6 nav can't. After that it is VERY picky about the filename length and tags.

Simple check list:
  1. Get a program that creates MP3 discs. Nero (commercial) and MediaMonkey (free) are two that work well. I find MediaMonkey's name trimming tilts the balance for me.
  2. Create a folder structure on your computer with copies of the files you want to copy.
  3. Make sure there are no file names longer than 25 characters +".MP3". MediaMonkey can do this by automatically trimming the names or AF5 is a free program that will change filenames en masse.
  4. Make sure the folder names are less than 29 characters.
  5. Get ID3TagIt (free) to edit the ID3 tags. Only version 1 tags are readable and most modern programs like Windows and ITunes want to change them to version 2. You can have version 2 tags. They just take extra space and won't be read.
  6. ID3TagIt can also be used to quickly determine if you have any Variable Bit Rate (VBR) files. They aren't reliable and need to be changed to Constant Bit Rate (CBR). L.A.M.E (free) will do that.
  7. Burn the disc.
  8. Enjoy.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Nope. Won't work at all if you have a nav. It doesn't need a "data" CD. It needs an MP3 CD. The directories are different. Yes, Windows Media Player says it will create an MP3 disc but it is just a data disc that Windows OS can read, not an MP3 disc that all MP3 players can read. Some can - C6 nav can't. After that it is VERY picky about the filename length and tags.

Simple check list:
  1. Get a program that creates MP3 discs. Nero (commercial) and MediaMonkey (free) are two that work well. I find MediaMonkey's name trimming tilts the balance for me.
  2. Create a folder structure on your computer with copies of the files you want to copy.
  3. Make sure there are no file names longer than 25 characters +".MP3". MediaMonkey can do this by automatically trimming the names or AF5 is a free program that will change filenames en masse.
  4. Make sure the folder names are less than 29 characters.
  5. Get ID3TagIt (free) to edit the ID3 tags. Only version 1 tags are readable and most modern programs like Windows and ITunes want to change them to version 2. You can have version 2 tags. They just take extra space and won't be read.
  6. ID3TagIt can also be used to quickly determine if you have any Variable Bit Rate (VBR) files. They aren't reliable and need to be changed to Constant Bit Rate (CBR). L.A.M.E (free) will do that.
  7. Burn the disc.
  8. Enjoy.
how about a flash drive?
Old 06-19-2013, 06:43 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

I don't have unit that reads a thumb drive so not able to test but I would suspect that the limits on size and type would be the same. If that is true you would just eliminate step #1, use AF5 in step #3, and change step #7 from burn to copy. Please let us know if this works.

Quick Reply: recorded cd's