C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member, new question - What does GM do good & bad on these cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 11:32 PM
Bradl1982
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Bad: Radio sound quality/archaic Nav system, creaky targa top
Good: Everything else
Old 06-09-2013, 01:15 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

When you compare a $50k Corvette against anything but another Corvette, you answer your own question. Those who complain about the interior--far improved on the later C6s anyway, and sound system should ask if they would prefer improvements in those areas at the cost of less performance. There is always a trade off in a given price range. I think Corvette did it just about perfectly. If you really want a great interior, fantastic sound system and far less performance, the Aston Vantage V-8 is available for only $100,000 more. Or a 911 S2 for $70,000 more will give comparable performance and far better interior/sound system. Everything's a trade off. I have a friend who owns a GTR. He thinks the interior and sound system are far better in a Maxima, but that is a tradeoff--for $95K, he can live with.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:27 PM
42Chevy
It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
St Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Right: The Corvette has class and yet its a sexy powerhouse that can compete with just about anything. It is an incredible car that is true to its lineage and IMO remains so in C7 form. Think about it, if a new C6 in 2005 did not have a badge or logo on it, you would still know it was a Corvette. I see the same as it transforms into a C7. The C6 is the complete package in looks and power and yet it retains a price point where it is within reach of the working man or woman.

Wrong: The seats could be better quality and so could the sound system. Other than that, I see no major issues.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by corvetteflier
When you compare a $50k Corvette against anything but another Corvette, you answer your own question. Those who complain about the interior--far improved on the later C6s anyway, and sound system should ask if they would prefer improvements in those areas at the cost of less performance. There is always a trade off in a given price range. I think Corvette did it just about perfectly. If you really want a great interior, fantastic sound system and far less performance, the Aston Vantage V-8 is available for only $100,000 more. Or a 911 S2 for $70,000 more will give comparable performance and far better interior/sound system. Everything's a trade off. I have a friend who owns a GTR. He thinks the interior and sound system are far better in a Maxima, but that is a tradeoff--for $95K, he can live with.
the problem most people have with this is that it's not that expensive to make things a hair better.

Sound system, shouldn't cost GM more than $1,000 in cost to make a better amp/dac and speakers. Pass that onto the consumer at $3,000.

Interior parts, say at most $10,000 and I'm being generous. Now for $13,000 more you have a wicked car that still costs over $50,000 less than it's closer competitor.

Just saying...

My old Audi A4 sound system was world's better than the Vette's. In addition, my older SRT-4 (bare bones sub $20K car) can outperform the Vette's audio system. That's sad.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Brockman66
Not to be a buzzkill, but there is a search button at the top right of the thread listing. That, my friend, will prove to be one of your strongest allies in your quest for information.
Same here, another thing to read up on is the C6 FAQ thread in the sticky section.

You will see that many of the same questions get asked time and time again out here, so I apologize in advance if I help you search, instead of trying to answer your questions in the future
Old 06-10-2013, 07:39 AM
94 Red Vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 2 C4's before getting my 2006. This car has improved so much it's truly remarkable. I can't think of anything they did'nt get right. They have the perfect balance of power, handling, and good looks. I'll always have one in the garage. The fun for the buck factor can't be matched for anywhere close to the amount you can get into one of these for.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:15 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
the problem most people have with this is that it's not that expensive to make things a hair better.

Sound system, shouldn't cost GM more than $1,000 in cost to make a better amp/dac and speakers. Pass that onto the consumer at $3,000.

Interior parts, say at most $10,000 and I'm being generous. Now for $13,000 more you have a wicked car that still costs over $50,000 less than it's closer competitor.

Just saying...

My old Audi A4 sound system was world's better than the Vette's. In addition, my older SRT-4 (bare bones sub $20K car) can outperform the Vette's audio system. That's sad.
I don't disagree, but not adding the extra 13K makes those who want a pure performance car more attainable. They should have better upgrades in the 2-4LT choices which would make the appeal broader. The problem now is that any of the current upgrades adds things I couldn't care less about. Adding the compass, power driver seat and auto dimming mirrors as standard equipment--with a better interior, gave me everything I really care about in the "base" package. The improvement in the A-6 mapping was far more important to me, anyhow. Porsche has optional everything, but you get to pick and choose far better than with only canned packages, as Corvette offers.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:07 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by 94 Red Vette
I had 2 C4's before getting my 2006. This car has improved so much it's truly remarkable
I agree. I liked my '89 but the C6 is at a whole different level.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Brockman66
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J Vette
Apparently you haven't hit that search button much. It's pretty much useless and is a friend to no one.
It's my friend. Especially in the For Sale Forum. Maybe it's cliquish and selective of who it likes.

Quick Reply: New member, new question - What does GM do good & bad on these cars?