C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FOB wont program

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:11 AM
stingraynick75
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

Default FOB wont program

I have followed the short procedure several times with no luck, my DIC says ready for FOB #3 and I put it in the slot but the DIC turns off after about 5 minutes and my second FOB does not work. Sometimes the DIC says "Known FOB" but it still does not work. Do I need to follow the long procedure and clear both FOBs and start over?
Old 06-04-2013, 01:28 AM
y2kvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stingraynick75
I have followed the short procedure several times with no luck, my DIC says ready for FOB #3 and I put it in the slot but the DIC turns off after about 5 minutes and my second FOB does not work. Sometimes the DIC says "Known FOB" but it still does not work. Do I need to follow the long procedure and clear both FOBs and start over?
new battery in FOB?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:19 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,059 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Message means, it has 2 FOBs in memory and your action is programming the 3rd FOB. The 3rd FOB will not retain the memory functions that the #1 & #2 Fobs have.

Do you have 2 working FOBs and want to add a 3rd? If yes, then the short method is correct.

If the FOB you're adding is to be your 2nd FOB, then you need to do the long procedure and reprogram both FOBs in order to become #1 & #2.

Are you using this: >>C6 Fob Programming and Glove Box Slot Testing Procedures<<

Read ALL of the notes and items in Red.

Elmer
Old 06-04-2013, 11:06 AM
stingraynick75
Racer

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Message means, it has 2 FOBs in memory and your action is programming the 3rd FOB. The 3rd FOB will not retain the memory functions that the #1 & #2 Fobs have.

Do you have 2 working FOBs and want to add a 3rd? If yes, then the short method is correct.

If the FOB you're adding is to be your 2nd FOB, then you need to do the long procedure and reprogram both FOBs in order to become #1 & #2.

Are you using this: >>C6 Fob Programming and Glove Box Slot Testing Procedures<<

Read ALL of the notes and items in Red.

Elmer

OK,
this make sense, I have one working and #2 is the one Im trying to re-program but it wants to be #3, I will do the long procedure and hopefully remedy this.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:38 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Elmer is right. The one you are trying to re-program is already known by the car. Since this is the case, I am not sure why you are trying to re-program it...since the car knows it already, re-program is not necessary. If it is not working well with the car, the battery in the fob needs replacement. Re-programming is not necessary after battery replacement. Hope this makes sense.

Re-programming needlessly is asking for trouble...the car knows this fob already, don't re-program it. A fob can only be in one position, this one is already in the number 2 position...it cannot be in the 2 and 3 position.

Here's instructions that include a test of the glovebox slot and lots of tips and tricks from others:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html

But it does not sound like you need to re-program anything.

Last edited by cclive; 06-04-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:35 PM
stingraynick75
Racer

Originally Posted by cclive
Elmer is right. The one you are trying to re-program is already known by the car. Since this is the case, I am not sure why you are trying to re-program it...since the car knows it already, re-program is not necessary. If it is not working well with the car, the battery in the fob needs replacement. Re-programming is not necessary after battery replacement. Hope this makes sense.

Re-programming needlessly is asking for trouble...the car knows this fob already, don't re-program it. A fob can only be in one position, this one is already in the number 2 position...it cannot be in the 2 and 3 position.

Here's instructions that include a test of the glovebox slot and lots of tips and tricks from others:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html

But it does not sound like you need to re-program anything.
actually the first thing I did was replace the battery. This FOB will not unlock door/deck lid or start car.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:56 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,059 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

actually the first thing I did was replace the battery. This FOB will not unlock door/deck lid or start car.
If you put it in the slot, will the car start?

Also, this checklist will help identify what the FOB problem is:

>> FOB not detected checklist <<

The FOB might just simply be bad.

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 06-04-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:53 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

The fob may be bad, but it is far more likely that the battery is not installed correctly...this has happened to many here. Check the DIY thread here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ement-diy.html

If the buttons don't work, it is most likely the battery...but if the car starts with the fob in the slot, then programming is not the problem as the car is recognizing the fob.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:59 PM
stingraynick75
Racer

Originally Posted by cclive
The fob may be bad, but it is far more likely that the battery is not installed correctly...this has happened to many here. Check the DIY thread here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ement-diy.html

If the buttons don't work, it is most likely the battery...but if the car starts with the fob in the slot, then programming is not the problem as the car is recognizing the fob.
duh the battery was in backwards. I have done worse....thanx
Old 06-04-2013, 11:44 PM
long_tall_texan
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Don't feel bad. I did the exact same thing a couple weeks ago on my Z06 and my mother-in-law's C6. Did the wheel long procedure before I figured it out thanks to this forum.

Get notified of new replies

To FOB wont program

Quick Reply: FOB wont program