C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this c6 that has flood damage.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 12:22 PM
mdformula350
Drifting

Received 471 Likes on 363 Posts

Default Thoughts on this c6 that has flood damage.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Forme...orcev4exp=true

How much would be a good bid? I havent bid yet but I am not too worried about it having a savlaged type title since they seem to fix these type of cars back to pre flood conditions.

Any other comments would be helpful.

I am looking for 06+ 6 speed coupe vette's preferably under 24k to spend.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:25 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Run away from any flood damage Vette, no matter how good the deal is. JMO
The following users liked this post:
Trebor (12-27-2019)
Old 06-01-2013, 12:31 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 658 Likes on 476 Posts

The car has a salvage title, which means the damage was sufficient to _total_ the car.

The current bid of $16K, which doesn't even meet their reserve, is already too high.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:33 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by mdformula350
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Forme...orcev4exp=true

How much would be a good bid? I havent bid yet but I am not too worried about it having a savlaged type title since they seem to fix these type of cars back to pre flood conditions.

Any other comments would be helpful.

I am looking for 06+ 6 speed coupe vette's preferably under 24k to spend.
you will curse the day you bought a flood damaged C6 till the day you die unless for parts only.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Chuck Little
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forty years of used car biz experience here.

You can take my advice if you wish.

The reason it is sold "as is" is because even they won't stand behind the car. Not for one minute. Not for one day. Not for one month. That alone should tell you to BEWARE!!!

Can you afford to throw away the money if it dumps tomorrow on your way home? If you can afford that kind of loss, look for a nice one.

A Corvette should not be bought on the cheap. It should be a car you can take pride of ownership in. I don't think you are going to get that with a totaled car.

You should be able to find many MM6-C6 for the money you are wanting to spend.

I wouldn't want that car for any money. It is just a problem looking for a place to happen. Don't let it be in your garage.
The following users liked this post:
macallan18 (12-28-2019)
Old 06-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Goatdad
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Run away from any flood damage Vette, no matter how good the deal is. JMO
wet vettes are not good.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:41 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RUN! I am in the insurance industry, and you do not want that car. Like others have noted, its a nightmare waiting to happen.
That $16,000 initial investment will turn into $30,000 before you know it. Electrical demons are a nightmare to diagnose and very hard to find, meaning hours and hours of diagnosis at high labor rates (mechanical labor rates), not to mention you wouldn't want all your electrical systems failing while your traveling down the road at 70mph would you? And intermitent warning lights coming on and off to haunt you all the time.

Do yourself a favor if you value your time and look for a non flooded vehicle. For the money your going to spend and the time your going to invest tracking down issues, you can pick up a nice used one. Life is too short to deal with that headache

Like Chuck said, you shouldnt buy a corvette on the cheap.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:48 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Salvage title makes the car worth very little, plus with the added stress and money trying to find the problems of a flooded car??

Run!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:58 PM
EBvette02
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 36 Posts

Man, Rain can take out the horns... ask me how I know.
Just think what a flood will do to that car. Electrical problems are a ****.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Itshakes
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Run----run fast---do not look back!!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 197 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Run Forest Run.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:17 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pikkashoe
RUN! I am in the insurance industry, and you do not want that car. Like others have noted, its a nightmare waiting to happen.
That $16,000 initial investment will turn into $30,000 before you know it. Electrical demons are a nightmare to diagnose and very hard to find, meaning hours and hours of diagnosis at high labor rates (mechanical labor rates), not to mention you wouldn't want all your electrical systems failing while your traveling down the road at 70mph would you? And intermitent warning lights coming on and off to haunt you all the time.

Do yourself a favor if you value your time and look for a non flooded vehicle. For the money your going to spend and the time your going to invest tracking down issues, you can pick up a nice used one. Life is too short to deal with that headache

Like Chuck said, you shouldnt buy a corvette on the cheap.
Good advice. Run, don't walk, away from this disaster waiting to happen.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:17 PM
BettermostCorvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a friend of mine that had his C6 parked at work on a day we had a terrible storm. The water drain in the parking lot became blocked and the lot began to flood. He had no more than 3 inches of water in both foot wells and the final water line on the body was about 2 inches over the bottom of the doors. Once the water went down we took a wet dry vac and cleared the clean water from the interior. The car started and ran fine HOWEVER his underwriter refused to repair the car and just totaled it right there in the drive in claim center because they felt to many wires and connectors got wet. I however think if cleaned and dried properly the car would have been fine.

Last edited by BettermostCorvette; 06-01-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:44 PM
mdformula350
Drifting

Received 471 Likes on 363 Posts

wow thanks for all the responses.

understood and I agree I want to spend up to 24k on one but that one I would stop at no more thank 18k.

i think there was quite a few vette's like this they purchased and fixed as they stated in the auction. heck i dont even know if a company would loan me the money for it anyway since it does have a salvaged title even though it passed all the inspections afterward.

well move onto the next one i guess. I may just wait till winter to buy one.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:25 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

There are enough electrical issues without adding more because of a flood...stay away.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Corvette03051
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Advice

Forget it! My associate who ships cars overseas crushed 2,000 cars after Sandy rather than fix em and sell them under salvage title. Did Toyota do the same? I understand they did as well.

Last edited by Corvette03051; 06-01-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:59 PM
pikkashoe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bettermostcorvette, the problem is the electrical issues dont appear right away, they start happening over time when you get water which works its way into wires, contacts, modules, relays and anything electrical and starts slowly corroding them. You can't clean or dry inside the wire sleeves which run all through the floor of the passenger compartment and up in the foot wells into the dash. You cant always clean and get everything, its nearly impossiple, and replacing all that stuff gets expensive quick.
Then you start getting the dreaded shorts all over the place. The reason the insurance company totals it is, because if they agree to fix and pay for the repairs, they get married to that claim for months if not years, everytime another electrical issues pops up they owe for it, and before you know it they have paid 4 times what that initial estimate was with diagnosis fees, labor to take it all apart and put it back together, only to have to do it again for another issue a month later. It truly gets accelerated if its salt water, as mentioned by the sandy comment someone else posted. We must of destroyed over 20,000 cars from just Sandy alone.

We total a car if fresh water gets to the dash, or if salt water enters the passenger cabin, just so you guys know. Most insurance companies do the same.

And if for some reason, you keep the car after a flood if we total it, you are on your own, any little electrical issue its on you. We have had people with nightmares come back to try and claim things after the fact, and we denied them, and we are talking big money things like replacing a main wiring harness on a vehicle which became corroded. Thats a huge labor intesive operation, on most cars, since you have to tear the whole car apart to remove and reinstall it, talking 15 to 20 hours of labor plus the cost of the harness which is not cheap. Ooops now your stuck with a $10,000 repair bill.
And before someone says "Oh the big bad insurance company taking advantage of people", we thoroughly explain the possible problems you will run into, and try to convince them not to keep the vehicle, and if they still want to keep the vehicle, they have to sign a property damage release stating we will not pay any flood/water corrosion damages going forward.

Last edited by pikkashoe; 06-01-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on this c6 that has flood damage.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:00 PM
6893Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
Run Forest Run.

My initial thought....don't touch it unless you just want it for parts.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Like dem Vettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Run away from the deal.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:35 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Salt water or fresh water and the high water mark will define the extent of damage.
A high mileage car may be a better buy for the bucks.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this c6 that has flood damage.