C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 vs. Jaguar F type

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:02 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,583 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
Jaguars are beautiful cars, until they're on fire in your driveway . . . And an awful lot of them ended up that way.
amen....
Old 08-20-2013, 08:52 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by irok
why not?have you ever heard of a newer Harley quitting.runs as well as anything made.
Maybe a V-rod engine but not the tractor engine they use.

Originally Posted by village idiot
Sure. Why would you be worried? No chance that overweight underpowered turd get off the ground

Originally Posted by GuyFromLeMans
plus, no matter how kinky I can get at times, I like to keep vibrators usage private.

Originally Posted by Old Boot
Never had a problem with the last 2 of mine. The leaking oil thing was from the 60s and 70s.
They run strong, sound good and hold resale oh ya and are made in North America and thats how I wanna spend my cash AT HOME
They still leak. Most of my friends who ride now are HD riders and they gave me crap about my Victory. Of all the bikes in our group mine is the only one without tranny trouble, doesnt leak, can go voer 4500 rpms, and doesnt shake your nuts off you.

They dont run strong. They are slower than death. Oh, and HDs are assembled in America. Hrm.....your othe vehicles all made in the 50 states of the USA? Nothing from Canada or Mexica? How about the shirts you wear, they all from America?

Not to get off track but Harleys are the 4.6 SOHC Mustangs of the sports car world. Yeah, you can make some noise, uninformed people and women think they are fast, but in the end you have a slow, ill-handling machine that can barely get out of its own way. /thread.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Baxter's Dad
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My previous car was a Mercedes SL. Wonderfully engineered and well built. But I lived over 100 miles from the dealer so any warranty work was an ordeal. Germans can not do electronics, yet want to compete with Japan. The Lexus almost killed the S Class Mercedes as it cost much less and was much more reliable. It's the same thing with the Corvette. I have a local Chevrolet dealer who stocks most all the parts right there on the shelf and has a tech who knows C6's. Exotic cars are nice, reliable exotic cars are great.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:07 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

I think I'm going to be the minority here but I absolutley LOVE the F type. First of all it's beautiful one of the best looking cars jag has made in a long time. Second it sounds fantastic the exhaust not on either motor sounds fantastic. Third the interior is a great place to sit. All in all I think they really built a winner and it will probably be one of the better selling cars they make for a ling time. Would I get rid of my C6 for one? Absolutely!!!! Would I pay the sticker price or anywhere near it? Absolutely not!!!! The car even being as great as it is is terribly over priced and should have been priced in the 50's imo. However being as jag depreciates very quickly it will be an affordable car on the used car market which is when I might consider owning one.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:20 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,271 Likes on 509 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

However being as jag depreciates very quickly it will be an affordable car on the used car market which is when I might consider owning one.
Tread carefully . . . remember the XJ8, another delicious-looking car that is available on used car lots nationwide for ten cents on the dollar because they won't run. My neighbor had one and ended up very nearly giving it away, it broke his heart (and his wallet) so many times. He picked up a very nice C5 for a song and could not be happier. Go thou and do likewise.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Tread carefully . . . remember the XJ8, another delicious-looking car that is available on used car lots nationwide for ten cents on the dollar because they won't run. My neighbor had one and ended up very nearly giving it away, it broke his heart (and his wallet) so many times. He picked up a very nice C5 for a song and could not be happier. Go thou and do likewise.
Yes those xj's were hell to own. However that being said you have to give credit where credit is due. Jag has stepped up their game in the past couple of years and is a true player now.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:51 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by boraxman
Not a fan of any Jag...Like to get to where im going.
I am sure that Dick Van **** would probably agree with you about now. Allow me to present to you his brand new Jaguar XJ ..

From my experience with Jaguars, I would bet the problem was probably electrical...
Old 08-20-2013, 07:14 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Some of the newer jags aren't bad looking, but I'll stick with the Vette.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:40 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

If you want your vehicle to stay in the shop for oil leaking and/or fan belt issues, buy a Jaguar, Aston Martin, or a Range Rover, amongst other English made vehicles. I love the look of those vehicles, but would never actually purchase one.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:32 AM
All2Easy
Racer

Interesting thread....

Recently dumped the wife's 12 GS for a F Type V8S.

I will be pleasantly surprised if the C7 interior can get close to the fit and finish of the Jag's interior.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:34 AM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Beautiful car. A word of advice based on personal experience with a late model XK, keep a battery tender and a set of jumper cables close by...
Old 08-21-2013, 03:20 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree, a beautiful car . . . but let's see how beautiful it looks on a dealer's lift. I hope you have good luck and many, many miles of reliable, enjoyable motoring with it.

But I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:28 PM
All2Easy
Racer

I agree, a beautiful car . . . but let's see how beautiful it looks on a dealer's lift. I hope you have good luck and many, many miles of reliable, enjoyable motoring with it.

But I wouldn't bet on it.
Two points:

1. Car will go when the warranty is up (or sooner)
2. It's a weekend toy, so not depended on for daily use.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:20 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

A very good and prudent plan, my friend. Enjoy that beautiful car.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:33 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

A very good and prudent plan, my friend. Enjoy that beautiful car.
and I truly hope you have better luck with your Jag then I did mine. In my life, I have only had my heart broken twice. The first girl was drop dead gorgeous, but way to fast for me and I couldn't count on her. The second girl was my Indigo Jag, who interestingly enough was way to fast for me and I couldn't count on her...

I think I see a pattern...
Old 08-21-2013, 07:24 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Wow the jag bashing is pretty thick here.
I just got a 05 C6 a few weeks ago, and my previous DD was a 98 XK8. I put about 40K miles on the XK8 and the only thing I had to replace was the water pump and a heater hose that sprang a leak (stupid engineers routed the hose under the intake manifold, had to be pulled to replace the hose).
I find the C6 to be much less sophisticated and solid than the jag. The jag had ground clearance and cornered great with a nice solid ride, it did all that with a good sized trunk and a tiny back seat. My Z51 by comparison has an extremely harsh ride and average GM interior quality (and design), not to mention no radio controls on the steering wheel. To give credit where it is due, the drivetrain of the vette is WAY better than the Jag.
If I can't smooth out the ride of the Z51 I would have no problems going back to a jag as a DD.

Last edited by colo63sw; 08-21-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:13 AM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

the jag is nice. last month one joined some friends of mine on a drive in the Ga. mountains.
I hope it has more Ford in it than Tata for the owner's sake

Quick Reply: C6 vs. Jaguar F type