C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New noise/feeling when driving hard.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Mchapman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New noise/feeling when driving hard.

Have a 2011GSC6A6 with 6000 miles and have taken a few road trips in the past two years into the mountains of GA, NC and SC (Tail of the Dragon, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc). Last fall on one trip I began to notice a grinding noise (and feel in the acc peddle and steering wheel) only when driving the car hard in corners. It seemed to start at about 1600 RPM and remained up to ~2800-3000 RPM, so immediately dropping a gear did not make it subside. We took a road trip last weekend and it was more pronounced after driving the car hard (tires and tranny were hot). However, open road/freeway no noise at any RPM or speed.

Tires are not showing any unusual wear (had the recommended street Pfadt alignement over a year ago). The only things that come to mind are a high gear drone (which I doubt) or tire tread noise.

Any ideas or history that someone can share? Thanks!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:21 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

grinding noise but feel in steering and accelerator pedal? grinding implies metal to metal. suspension but not tires imo. harmonic balancer outside chance. F55? potential sway bar end links? wheel bearings (altho unlikely)?
Old 05-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Just throwing this out on a lark, active handling engaging. Saying this because of your comments on the cornering involment.

Otherwise I am silent.

Just hard to think of something that comes through steering wheel and accelerator that occurs in concerning, except for the active handling.

If apply brakes maybe warped rotors.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:29 AM
Mchapman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feed back guys. When I used the description grinding - that was what came to mind. It does not seem to be metal to metal or anything along those lines. My wife could feel and hear it on the passenger side. Last night we went for a quick leisurely drive around town and I am begining to think it is the F1 Goodyears making the noise and feel. The problem was intermittent and seemed to come on when things got hotter.

I'll get the suspension checked just in case.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:44 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Weird

The wide tires will chatter when making slow sharp turns not at speed though because you can not turn sharp enough.

Maybe something is loose from the alinement procedure.

The end links can make a popping sound almost like pressure building up then releasing. Usually this is experienced over bumps bit can be also heard in sharp turns. The latter is my non professional guess just for conversation.

Maybe lug nut lose or as mentioned before a bad wheel bearing.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:59 AM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a similiar noise when turning right -- turned out the over-axle exhaust pipe on the right was touching the trans during cornering -- small adjustment cured it ...just a thought.

Get notified of new replies

To New noise/feeling when driving hard.

Quick Reply: New noise/feeling when driving hard.