C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base vette vs. grand sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 04:51 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Well, it depends. Are you trail braking into turns or taking some gentle turns and sweepers or running chicanes or autocrossing. "Handling" is a generic term. On the street, you're probably right. On the track, I want every inch of tire I can get. Front tires are critical for your turn in, especially if it's on the brakes.
Great point and I didnt consider that. Autox I'd want the biggest round thing I could fit on the car. I've learned trail braking is my friend along with being very smooth.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:14 PM
ny32182
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

Just a point on the math, assuming any speed limiters are removed, all C6s regardless of how much power they make are ultimately going to be drag (power) limited on the top end, since 6th is geared all the way out to 275mph or something crazy like that.

If all other factors are equal (rwhp), the lower drag car will reach a higher top speed, not just get there faster. It will accellerate faster once the drag really comes into play, and it will reach an eventual higher top speed as well.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:24 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Great point and I didnt consider that. Autox I'd want the biggest round thing I could fit on the car. I've learned trail braking is my friend along with being very smooth.
I'm not much of a parking lot racer, but I'd imagine would sacrifice tire width for quicker steering. I could be completely wrong here.

So far as I can tell, autocross works something like this:
Best Miata/S2000 driver wins
Then the rest of the Miata/S2000 guys win
Then the best STI/EVo guys win
Then the rest of the STI/EVO guys win
Then the best ricer/econo cars win (VW, etc)
Then they make fun of the Vettes and Mustangs and Camaros for being slow.
Then they come to a 40ft wide track and wonder wtf happened.

I dont understand how anyone can enjoy that stuff. It seems like it's just perpetual frustration, turn after turn.

Last edited by village idiot; 05-28-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Duro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JJPonzini
I thought the GS was too busy. Wide fenders, gills and stripes. The base coupe was more understated, which appealed to me.

But it sounds like we are in the minority here. I prefer the clean look of the standard model. Probably one of the main reasons I find the new C7 unappealing too. Just a little to busy form my taste. The good thing is GM covered the base's offering the C6 vette's with different looks to appeal to a wider range of customers.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:29 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

At the end of the day 6k more for a poser or not...

They are purty though....just not THAT purty...
Old 05-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
I'm not much of a parking lot racer, but I'd imagine would sacrifice tire width for quicker steering. I could be completely wrong here.

So far as I can tell, autocross works something like this:
Best Miata/S2000 driver wins
Then the rest of the Miata/S2000 guys win
Then the best STI/EVo guys win
Then the rest of the STI/EVO guys win
Then the best ricer/econo cars win (VW, etc)
Then they make fun of the Vettes and Mustangs and Camaros for being slow.
Then they come to a 40ft wide track and wonder wtf happened.

I dont understand how anyone can enjoy that stuff. It seems like it's just perpetual frustration, turn after turn.
You're very much oversimplifying the sport and wayyyyyyyyyy off base.

I'm not saying this is you, but this mentality is common among people who attend in their fast street cars and get whooped on by just about every other driver, including those in what would be considered a slower car. Then they go back to drag racing or track days and start calling autocrosses 'parking lot races' in an attempt to invalidate the sport.

Vettes have been pretty competitive in their respective class for many many years and are among the fastest cars at an autocross. For a while, a C5 Z06 was the car to have and have won many championships within the past decade.

Mustangs and 4th Gen F-Bodies before that were also very competitive in their classes as well.

Some cars are better suited than others, but a good driver will be pretty quick in just about any car. If the Vettes, Mustangs, and Camaros were being made fun of at your local events for being slow, its not the car, its the driver.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:34 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 161 Posts

It cost $6400 more but worth every penny. I have a 1LT GS & would take it over a base 3LT any day of the week. Never was a fan of the base C6 & would've stayed with my C5 if there was no GS. Mike from Criswell says 90% of sales are the GS so everyone clearly loves it more & is willing to spend the money.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:42 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It all depends on our tire budget . The GS tires will last approx 8 K miles.

Replacement cost is approx $1200.

If this works for you then I suggest the GS.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

So a "Base" Corvette.....we're talking a 1LT with no options? I really couldn't imagine that car beating anybody.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I could only afford a base C6, which I love and think it's the coolest.......however I think the GS is the best looking vette ever made, it's perfect, but out of my price range. I'd take mine in black
Old 05-28-2013, 11:50 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingrayrob
Mike from Criswell says 90% of sales are the GS so everyone clearly loves it more & is willing to spend the money.
Naturally.... This is all the dealers had on their lots.... If you wanted a coupe off the lots the pickens were slim.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:05 AM
CMCvette
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Also depends on price- I got 1lt GS cheaper than 3lt regular body and really loved the looks of the GS more than the additional bells and whistles of the 3lt package in narrow body. The GS just got me more excited about the car and still feel that way. So I got the car in exact color I wanted and saved over 4k. But as you see, opinions vary-- and all Vettes are awesome!
Old 05-29-2013, 12:13 AM
brettbolt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stopping distance

Just bought a GS last week after owning an '08 (base).

According to Edmunds, the GS has a shorter stopping distance from 60 to 0 than the base model (about 15 feet less).

Here in California, it is not infrequent to have another driver cut in front of you and you have to slam on the brakes. It happened twice with my Silver '08.

Haven't had my red GS long enough to do a panic stop, but its good to know I have the best brakes.

Here is a quote from Edmunds:
"In Edmunds brake testing, a base Corvette came to a stop from 60 mph in 118 feet, which is a bit longer than average for a sports car. We found that the Grand Sport and ZR1 came to a stop from 60 mph in between 100 and 104 feet, which is excellent performance."
Old 05-29-2013, 12:29 AM
grayline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 2012 my wife and I went to the dealership to buy a 3lt base HUD traction package ,chrome and all. What we were showed was a 2010 GS heritage 4 lt with
20 k still under warranty for the same outright $$ we decided on the GS because it just looked cool and all the "Cheese" it had really cool car. Funny story..
My wife and I both Drove the GS and I simply Loved it. She said to our salesman
I love the car but I want to peel off those stripes! He said the "hash marks?"she said those look ridicules. He said those are factory hash marks and they are a $345 option
She said take those and the hard foot pedals off and we will buy
(Alum billet) our salesman said Maam are you retarded?
Thats dumb.. she said they look hideous, he then said ill take them off but no one will know its a true GS. She said what's the difference?
he said about $10 grand. She then said...... can you get them for both sides?

Sometimes women just dont get it
Old 05-29-2013, 03:11 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Love the sleek clean look of the "base" Coupe, best looking Vettes of all. My 1LT has all the equipment i need and then some. It feels as good at 40 as it does at 140. If i wanted a wide body car it would be the "real deal", a Z06. Didn't like the GS and its gills from the beginning.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:06 AM
Corvette03051
Melting Slicks

Received 433 Likes on 229 Posts

Default GS Vs NARROW

I think I have the best of both worlds. But it us a subjective argument. It's personal.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Sargevette
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duro

But it sounds like we are in the minority here. I prefer the clean look of the standard model. Probably one of the main reasons I find the new C7 unappealing too. Just a little to busy form my taste. The good thing is GM covered the base's offering the C6 vette's with different looks to appeal to a wider range of customers.
Ditto. Same here.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:31 PM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grayline
In 2012 my wife and I went to the dealership to buy a 3lt base HUD traction package
She said take those and the hard foot pedals off and we will buy
(Alum billet) our salesman said Maam are you retarded?
I would be pissed that the salesman called my wife a retard.

Quick Reply: Base vette vs. grand sport