C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyears done at 7K on GS

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 04:09 PM
2008 Atomic Orange
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firestone ---- great tire----alignment important toooooooo
Old 05-30-2013, 04:18 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueAngelSAE
I'm not far off on replacement either at 7600 miles but the 2 things I just won't worry about on the GS... tire wear or mpg, neither are as good as the standard vette. The soft compound of the GY is sticky and holds and I appreciate that.....I will be interested to see my thoughts on next brand and same driving style.

I bet your alignment is off....my fronts have a lot more on them than my rears. Post your thoughts on those super sports.
On 2005 base vette with F-55 got 44,000+ miles and it was the fronts that wore out first. Rears were still good except on those factory goodyears got loud. Lots of roadnoise.
What is the normal wear on these new GS wide body Corvettes?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:44 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
What is the normal wear on these new GS wide body Corvettes?
With crappy OEM tires, not that great. You'll get 15k if you are real lucky. Depends on a lot of things of course such as driver technique, road surface, proper maint, etc. Most people seem to get around 10k which is pitiful. To be fair to Goodyear, your original tires on your 2005 were not Supercar tires which do grip a lot less but they are still crap as I'm sure you had noise from around 10k or so. At least with supercars they are toast about when the noise is bad.

It is not a problem with the GS though. I currently have 7k on my Michelin Super Sports that are better than the Supercars in every way. I still have 8/32ds of tread left so rough guess they should last about 25k. That is fine for me for a high performance sports car. My gas mileage on my 13 GS coupe is around 24-26 mpg cruising at 80mph. My 08 got slightly better gas mileage (26-29mpg) on the same roads/speed until I put Mich A/S ZP on them then they were around 25-26mpg with lots of less grip.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:37 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
With crappy OEM tires, not that great. You'll get 15k if you are real lucky. Depends on a lot of things of course such as driver technique, road surface, proper maint, etc. Most people seem to get around 10k which is pitiful. To be fair to Goodyear, your original tires on your 2005 were not Supercar tires which do grip a lot less but they are still crap as I'm sure you had noise from around 10k or so. At least with supercars they are toast about when the noise is bad.

It is not a problem with the GS though. I currently have 7k on my Michelin Super Sports that are better than the Supercars in every way. I still have 8/32ds of tread left so rough guess they should last about 25k. That is fine for me for a high performance sports car. My gas mileage on my 13 GS coupe is around 24-26 mpg cruising at 80mph. My 08 got slightly better gas mileage (26-29mpg) on the same roads/speed until I put Mich A/S ZP on them then they were around 25-26mpg with lots of less grip.

Yes definitely I did not have those supercar tires which is fine by me.
10K typical on GS models
That's great MPG you get you must have manual. With A-4 3.15 I get 18 combined up to 24-26 straight highway driving and that is not driving fast but under our maximum speed limit 55-65 mph.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:25 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Yes definitely I did not have those supercar tires which is fine by me.
10K typical on GS models
That's great MPG you get you must have manual. With A-4 3.15 I get 18 combined up to 24-26 straight highway driving and that is not driving fast but under our maximum speed limit 55-65 mph.
I have the A6.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:28 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

I have the A6.
No problems with that auto?
Old 05-31-2013, 12:37 PM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a wide booty, so I have the 325/30/19's on the rear. 1st set showed cord at 16k; 2nd set did not yet show cord at 23k, but just replaced them all with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires. I had the tire shop (TownFairTire) use the Pfadt street performance settings for the 4 wheel alignment; time will tell how well the last.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:14 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

My 2012 GS has 20,765 miles on the OEM Goodyears. I drive like an old lady...
Old 05-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by gwalsh88
Most old ladies don't have 20,765 miles on a 2012 GS.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:54 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

Originally Posted by TWS Racing
Damn. That sucks for the OP.

Our 2012 GS has 14.5 K miles on the original GY's and it looks like we have 3-4K miles more to go before wear bars. Makes me want to go out to the garage and measure actual tread depth...
I'm in the same ball park but with 12K on the stock tires. I never understood why some GS's get twice the milage as others even after the cars are aligned for street use.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:59 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by PittMD1
I'm in the same ball park but with 12K on the stock tires. I never understood why some GS's get twice the milage as others even after the cars are aligned for street use.
See above....drive like old lady.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:08 PM
Jefe's GS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked yesterday. My 12' GS w/ approx. 6,000 miles are close to the wear bars on the rear and the fronts are wearing nicely. Completely opposite of what I usually hear. I have spun the tires a few times holding the brake but I've never 'smoked' them. Just get them spinning. I guess I like to hole shot from a stop too much.

I bought a Corvette. I'm not going to complain about tire life. I've already accepted that I'll be buying tires every one to two years w/ minimal driving in relation to my normal driving.

If you can't afford the tires you shouldn't have bought the 'Vette to begin with.

No, I'm not happy about 7,000-10,000 mile tires but if I'm going to buy a 'super car' then I expect to pay something in maintenance. Could be worse, it could be a Porsche or a Ferrari where an oil change can cost more than tires.

BTW, I had the street alignment done at about 200-300 miles and I'm getting very even wear all the way around. The inner tread seems to fair a bit better than the outer but it's minimal.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:16 PM
DIPPOLD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Got 18,600 on the GY's on my 2011 GS. I think I was lucky compared to those on the forum. Replaced them with Michelin Pilot Super Sports (non RF's).
Old 05-31-2013, 04:26 PM
BlueAngelSAE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Curious, were any of you running the GY gen2? I do like how they handle in the warm temps and just measured 4/32 on rear and 6/32 on fronts not a fan of mixing mfg up and thinking of just ordering a rear set as it looks like I will burn them out way before fronts.

My driving explains the use, I don't drive like an old lady and not afraid of quick starts, j turns or track time and the wear on each tire is even.
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2013, 04:32 PM
bigswiss89
Advanced

what do you nonrunflat people plan to do if you get a flat? get towed?
Old 05-31-2013, 04:34 PM
bigswiss89
Advanced

Originally Posted by gwalsh88
why pay for a GS then?
Old 05-31-2013, 11:32 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by bigswiss89
why pay for a GS then?
Just because I don't drive like a manic does not mean I do not enjoy the car. After all I have had it 11 months and drove close to 21,000 which I bet is more than the majority of you here on the forum. I’m just a regular guy and it is my daily driver and I enjoy it every day. I think I’ll get another 1,500 or so and then I plan on replacing them with Michelin pilots.

Get notified of new replies

To Goodyears done at 7K on GS

Old 05-31-2013, 11:43 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

No problems with that auto?
I love it actually but my left hip is bad. Auto seems to be in the right gear and I use the paddles for mountain driving or on ramps.

Originally Posted by bigswiss89
what do you nonrunflat people plan to do if you get a flat? get towed?
We start praying like crazy!! Not really, most leaks are slow leaks so a good air compressor works until we can get to a repair shop. Faster leaker would get a can of slime (contrary to what people think they are now safe for the TPMS), blow out means we are screwed and waiting for a tow truck which is what a run flat owner might be doing also. Out west, you would be lucky to find a shop that can repair (or you want to attempt to repair) run flats in the middle of no where. I much rather take the min risk and at least have a tire that they are familiar with. It is already a pain since the rear tire is really wide and short profile.

I'm not going to get into a RF vs non RF battle but I recommend carrying a tire compressor even if you have run flats. All of my slow leaks on my Vettes have only dropped a few PSI. Firestone and I think Bridgestone since they are pretty much the same company says your tire is useless if you run it below 15psi anyway. Good luck finding a rear run flat in the middle of no where also.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:40 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

I love it actually but my left hip is bad. Auto seems to be in the right gear and I use the paddles for mountain driving or on ramps.

We start praying like crazy!! Not really, most leaks are slow leaks so a good air compressor works until we can get to a repair shop. Faster leaker would get a can of slime (contrary to what people think they are now safe for the TPMS), blow out means we are screwed and waiting for a tow truck which is what a run flat owner might be doing also. Out west, you would be lucky to find a shop that can repair (or you want to attempt to repair) run flats in the middle of no where. I much rather take the min risk and at least have a tire that they are familiar with. It is already a pain since the rear tire is really wide and short profile.

I'm not going to get into a RF vs non RF battle but I recommend carrying a tire compressor even if you have run flats. All of my slow leaks on my Vettes have only dropped a few PSI. Firestone and I think Bridgestone since they are pretty much the same company says your tire is useless if you run it below 15psi anyway. Good luck finding a rear run flat in the middle of no where also.
Dyna Plug works like a charm and it stores with minimal space needed.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:25 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Dyna Plug works like a charm and it stores with minimal space needed.
I have a plug kit but I forgot what brand. It would be good for fast leaks if you have the time/room. All my tire gear takes up half of one of the cubbies so no issue on room.

Quick Reply: Goodyears done at 7K on GS