C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe vs Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:54 PM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AddisonD
First off, they are both super fun and wonderful cars, just like has been said here. I would love to have a fleet of 'em.
You know what they say about great minds.....
Lovely driveway! the car looks good on it, (even though it's a convertible).

In all seriousness, I love convertibles, and owned one before (not a vette). The couple of things that really made me decide on the coupe is it's so damn hot and humid here most of the time, that the convertible experience isn't that enjoyable really, and also (unless some drastic progress has been made since my convertible days) tops have a limited life span, especially if you leave the top down a lot. Is that still true today?
And now that I have the coupe, I must say I would be missing the storage space right behind me, where I can reach and grab whatever I need to have with me, if I didn't have it.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Tony 327
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

OP, have you made a decision? Have the 100 or so posts had any influence on your decision? Just curious if any of this helped or made your decision more difficult.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 PM
AddisonD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GFLM, thanks for the driveway compliment. If that wasn't installed, I doubt any toy car purchases would have cleared the funds allocation committee. I now refer to it as the "motor court". And God help the poor bastard that gets some motor oil on it! I've learned that.

I now recommend the OP install a paver driveway, and then just pick one!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:01 AM
Allbread
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not an owner but I've been test driving a lot lately trying to decide exactly what you want.

I can't really speak to which is louder with the top up (convertible seemed louder to me) but I will say that there was a noticeable difference in noise and turbulence with the top-down vert vs the top-off Coupe with the vert being much smoother and quieter (these are mainly C5s that I'm driving).

I think this is just due to the shape of the cars - with the vert when the top is down so is the back window so air flows smoothly over the car and down the trunk. With the coupe (top off) I found much more buffeting from the wind and turbulence in general. I'm no aerodynamics expert, but I suspect this is because it opens up the whole rear of the car to catch extra wind with no exit.

For me, this took the Coupe off my list. Only car? I'd probably go Coupe but for a fun weekender I loved the vert and can also drive the Jetta when I want a quiet, enclosed cabin. Also, the Jetta gets way better mileage and is a total chick magnet!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:17 AM
snowdak
2nd Gear

How about one of each. Just saying. ;-)
Old 03-02-2014, 09:51 AM
GuyFromLeMans
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why hello again old thread!... haven't seen you in almost a year!
Some topics never get old though...
Old 03-02-2014, 12:18 PM
clekchaum
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i know i might get points from my man card deducted but i just bought my first convertible corvette, and it's an automatic

i came from a c5z with over 800 rwhp and i must say i'm really loving this car. it's a 2010 gs convertible 4lt with an eforce installed by lg motorsports, only 5k miles. the car is so tame and comfortable, the convertible top down is not that noisy at all, the top up was my biggest thing on my mind but it looks great even with the top up, imho.

if you have any doubts, you should test drive one and see for yourself. i was on the fence before, now i can't believe i didn't get a vert sooner.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,078 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE or nothing for me.I would actually rather have a camaro ss vert or a mustang GT vert before I went with a corvette coupe JMHO!
Old 03-02-2014, 12:34 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE or nothing for me.I would actually rather have a camaro ss vert or a mustang GT vert before I went with a corvette coupe JMHO!
You set your standards way to low. Just playin'.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:13 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

I'm a coupe guy & have owned 3: 95, 99, & 13. If I want to feel some air the top comes off. The last few years have been such hot summers of over 90 degrees that I just don't take the roof off much anymore. If you enjoy using AC more & more like I do stick with the coupe.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:38 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Stingrayrob
I'm a coupe guy & have owned 3: 95, 99, & 13. If I want to feel some air the top comes off. The last few years have been such hot summers of over 90 degrees that I just don't take the roof off much anymore. If you enjoy using AC more & more like I do stick with the coupe.
100%! i had the 67 vette big block in rag top, but boy, what i would give to have the 67 coupe. with the top down it looks kind of cheap, no style whatsoever. my apologies to rag top owners, jmo.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:04 PM
glerma
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I will always go with a convertible.... The tradeoffs are completely worth it when the top is down... I call mine "Therapy on Wheels".
Old 03-03-2014, 09:03 AM
bontrager
Pro

I don't care for the look of any "coupe/hatchback" corvette; although the C7 hatch is growing on me.

My last two vettes were a 2000 (sold) and my current vette is a 2005 convertible.

Last edited by bontrager; 03-03-2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Michael A Riley
Burning Brakes

Received 810 Likes on 221 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Have a c3 t top, a c6 removable top, and a c2 '63 Sebring silver convertible. I couldn't choose. Now, depending on where I'm going, the weather, and how noticeable I want to be determines which one gets out of the garage. The problem is I like all vettes!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
Hey Always Red Dave,

Is that Vette in the picture? It would be hard to argue with your logic; I can’t imagine having one worry in the world cruising in a Corvette with the top down. Hopefully you are somewhere warm, otherwise, 17 days until spring!

Jennie R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 03-03-2014, 11:08 AM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I just went through this dilemma.....
Always been a convertible guy, until my c6.....it had nothing to do with price, road noise, weight.....or looks because I think they did a great job of both, top up/on or down/off....and both have good trunk space considering these cars are built to be driven at the limits of most mortals....
I only drive my "fun cars" on clear days so I always have the top down(even below freezing) and that def takes its toll on the top and they have to be maintained and eventually replaced......not fun....
So I feel lucky that GM has given us such a tough choice to make.....
the top off experience of the coupe is very good and don't feel like I am giving up the open air feel.....but I think the top off experience, for me, is better in the middle of the summer because I hate the blazing sun beating down on me and you get some cover from the halo.....

as for the" Vert C6 or nothing" or you would get a mustang/Camaro.....I just made that change from a Cobra vert to a C6 coupe....no comparison....C6 all the way!

Quick Reply: Coupe vs Convertible