C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Chip Already on Hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:57 AM
jaki30
Safety Car

Received 519 Likes on 305 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Bought a GM bra

Bought a GM bra that I only use on longer trips. As for Clear bra, I found the price really expensive and discovered that a dealer uses one of those mobile chip repair businesses to take care of little chips and dings a lot cheaper. So, just ask your local dealer who they use and hire them to fix the chips. They actually do a decent job.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Knappyhead
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyber Greg
Dr. Color Chip to correct the chip you have and 3M Venture Shield to protect from future chips.
What would be the estimated cost of the venture shied? Does it cover the entire hood or partial?
Old 05-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Knappyhead
Advanced

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Sucks getting the first one,but it's the first of many to come. Drive it and drive it often!!
Drive it and drive it often are words to live by.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have one on the hood but I do have one on the headlight cover. That's in two and half weeks.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Knappyhead
Advanced

Originally Posted by jaki30
Bought a GM bra that I only use on longer trips. As for Clear bra, I found the price really expensive and discovered that a dealer uses one of those mobile chip repair businesses to take care of little chips and dings a lot cheaper. So, just ask your local dealer who they use and hire them to fix the chips. They actually do a decent job.
Did not think of that. I meet with the dealer tomorrow so they can look at the drivers side seat that has marks on it and will ask who they use for chip repairs. As far as the marks on the seat, when I drove the car off the lot it had 4 miles on it but the seat looks like people came in and out of the car alot and made rub marks. The dealer said they will fix it as I identified before I bought the car. I hope these seats hold up as I tend to slide in quit a bit.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:42 PM
mdb917
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Group therapy indeed. My first chip was on the hood about 6" from the windshield on the driver side which no bra would have prevented (unless you had the entire hood done). It made me ill and even today I am not happy about it. That said, my '07 has over 30k miles on it and I would not trade 1 of those miles for anything.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:37 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I got one on the lip of my hood where the protection would not worked, so did the best with GM touch up paint.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:35 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Cyber Greg
Dr. Color Chip to correct the chip you have and 3M Venture Shield to protect from future chips.
have you used the 3m venture? i'm thinking of having it put on the car. the guy wants 900 bucks to do it. i'm not sure if it's worth it or not. i know, sounds like a dumb statement. i dread the chip crates on my car since it only has 1800 miles on it. i would appreciate some type of reply. thank you.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:57 PM
Knappyhead
Advanced

Originally Posted by billyboy47
have you used the 3m venture? i'm thinking of having it put on the car. the guy wants 900 bucks to do it. i'm not sure if it's worth it or not. i know, sounds like a dumb statement. i dread the chip crates on my car since it only has 1800 miles on it. i would appreciate some type of reply. thank you.
I have never used it but got a quote today for $700 which covers part of the car and $1,100 for all.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:00 PM
6893Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, clear bra is worth it. You will drive and not worry about those annoying chips. Xpel is a very good product and I've heard good things about Venture Shield. There are a lot of posts on this forum on the topic. I went with Xpel.

The next question is, how much of the car is covered for 900? I suggest the full hood, front fenders, headlights, side mirrors and rocker panel. Some do more, some do less. It really depends on your budget and how much protection you want. I also like the full hood so you don't have a line in the middle of your hood. If the quote was 900 for Ll mentioned above, it's a reasonable price.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Knappyhead
Advanced

Does anyone know of a good venture shield installer in the Southern Maryland area? I am in Waldorf and do not know of any locally.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Knappyhead
Advanced

for the venture shield I got a quote for $1,100 which covers the complete front bumper, mirrors, complete wrapped hood with matching fender. For $700 you get complete front bumper, mirror, 18 inches on the hood with matching fenders. Since I have never done this before I do not know if the price if high or decent. Also comes with a five year warranty.

Last edited by Knappyhead; 05-23-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:14 PM
6893Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Knappyhead
Does anyone know of a good venture shield installer in the Southern Maryland area? I am in Waldorf and do not know of any locally.
I don't. If you don't get a direct referral, my suggestion is to speak with a trusted body shop (if you have one), they see work from around the area and will know who does a good job.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:18 PM
6893Vette
Burning Brakes

for the venture shield I got a quote for $1,100 which covers the complete front bumper, mirrors, complete wrapped hood with matching fender. For $700 you get complete front bumper, mirror, 18 inches on the hood with matching fenders. Since I have never done this before I do not know if the price if high or decent. Also comes with a five year warranty.
This sounds like the price I was originally quoted. I ended up finding an installer that would work with me and we brought the price down a bit from there. I would try to get the larger install with rocker panels for around 900. Prices may vary by location and by product you are using. My guy was referred to me by my body shop. It turns out that he also does it for the Porche and Ferrari dealers in the area.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:52 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by JLB768
I don't like the fact that my new Vette has a couple chips, but it is what it is. When you wash the car, you will find imperfections, it's just part of it. Mine came from a rain storm, just after a snow, I had no choice but to use the Vette to pick up my daughter. The sand/gravel laid on the road was horrible, I could hear the sand blasting as I was headed to pick her up. I knew before I even got home, that I was going to have a chip or two, it ended up being two, in places only I would notice. Don't sweat it, it's going to happen, I'm on Vette #4, and they all had paint imperfections...
Just like swirls in the paint from washing or sand storms, curb rash, windshield chips, front spoiler, radiator supports etc.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:55 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Did not think of that. I meet with the dealer tomorrow so they can look at the drivers side seat that has marks on it and will ask who they use for chip repairs. As far as the marks on the seat, when I drove the car off the lot it had 4 miles on it but the seat looks like people came in and out of the car alot and made rub marks. The dealer said they will fix it as I identified before I bought the car. I hope these seats hold up as I tend to slide in quit a bit.
Just put seatcovers on i.e. sheepskin seat covers?
Old 05-24-2013, 12:35 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by JLB768
When I had my first C6, I was OCD about every little imperfection. I'm now on my 4th, it's only 5 months old, and has two chips on the paint. One is on the rear fender, one on the rocker panel, I now think of them as character marks. It's impossible to keep the paint perfect, the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will not lose sleep...
So true.

I figure that you can either:

A. Have a perfect Vette with zero imperfections and enjoy looking at it in your garage.

or...

B. Drive it like it's meant to be driven.

Can't have both.

Get notified of new replies

To Rock Chip Already on Hood

Old 05-24-2013, 02:39 AM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well that took less than a week. Glad it is small but hate to see it. Will look through the forum and see what some use to protect the hood.
good to see you checking into a clearbra. you won't regret it. replaced mine after six years of daily-driving, the paint it protected was flawless and the car looks great.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:54 AM
jackcasual
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got venture shield 3 days after buying car. I bought car to drive, although summer only. Vert. 4th vette and I really disliked rock chips on other vettes. Venture shield has saved car many times and I think it was worth 700 to have it done. Covers entire nose,headlites,fog lites.18 inches up hood,mirriors,door sills,behind all tires,in front of rear tires,rocker panals and in slot where u open doors.I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Last edited by jackcasual; 05-24-2013 at 07:55 AM. Reason: added
Old 05-24-2013, 09:42 AM
bobstripower
Intermediate

3M just introuced a new spray on film--- can be taken off w/o anyrisk to paint underneath--its called 3M defender and can be bought at Autozone

Quick Reply: Rock Chip Already on Hood