C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Cover Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Paper Tiger
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Cover Questions?

I tried to look around the forum and I did not find much on car covers. I have a new 427 Convertible and I want to get a cover (or covers) for the car. I am keeping the car in a garage, and it is not a daily driver. The garage is two blocks from the ocean. I have some concern about salt in the air. My wife says we have to keep our three children who are in and out of the garage all summer. They understand how I feel about keeping the car, but I hope covering it will reduce the chance of damage even more.

In addition, I would like to have a cover for the car for road trips where she might have to sit out overnight. As you know, there isn't an abundance of storage space in the trunk of a vert, so for that application compact storage is a must. I am open to one cover for the garage and another for the road. I know it sounds expensive, but it would not be a hobby if it had a purpose.

I am looking for suggestions based on what others have tried and liked. If you can recommend brands and vendors, that would be helpful. Additionally, I noticed that some of the vendors list different covers for various models such as coupe, Z06 etc. Does anyone know what cover fits this car?
Thanks
PT
Old 05-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 197 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I use Dustop. It is an indoor cover. I had the first one from 2005 all the way to 2012. I would still have it except it didn't fit the GS. Excellent at keeping the car clean and thick enough to prevent dings in the garage. Saved me quite a few times. I did get another one for the GS. Cost around $210.

I'm not a big fan of using the car on a trip and then covering it at the end of the day. As clean as you might think it is, it's probably not. Now you have a cover that's dirty on the inside. Not good for the car or the cover.

California Car Cover has an excellent selection and you can see them and what their strong/weak point are. Calcarcover.com. 800 423 5525.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Paper Tiger
Heel & Toe

I never though about the problem of getting scratches in the paint from dragging the cover over the road grit, but you definitely have a point there.
I guess what I really need is just a garage cover.
PT
Old 05-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 197 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Your size will be the size that fits the Z06. At least that is what fit my GS. I'm pretty sure it's either a base or narrow body style and the Z06 size. They are not GS, Z06 ZR1 specific. Those three should all fall under the Z06 size. Who ever you buy from will ask what the body style is.

With kids in and out of the garage the thicker the cover the better in your case.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about the salt air. It certainly won't affect the body.

Congrats on the 427. It's a beauty and a great choice.

Rich
Old 06-04-2013, 08:14 PM
jmk
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a GM indoor dust cover for my C6. I keep it in our garage covered when I'm not driving it for a couple of days. While parking in the garage cuts the dust down, some still gets through. The GM cover stops it. It has an inner layer of super soft flannel and black or red outer layer that looks like rayon with Corvette logos on each end. It weighs about 10 pounds in its duffel bag. It goes on easily and comes off likewise. It was expensive, but leaves me with no doubt that it's not abrasive and is of the highest quality.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:45 PM
RULOOKIN
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I have owned several cars and I always buy a extra large cover that is not fitted very loose !! I also have large fleece blankets I drape over the cars front end and rear and mirrors then slowly put loose cover over the car, the fleece blankets don't move and the cover never gets slid across the paint of the car !
Old 06-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Allan
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by jmk
I just bought a GM indoor dust cover for my C6. I keep it in our garage covered when I'm not driving it for a couple of days. While parking in the garage cuts the dust down, some still gets through. The GM cover stops it. It has an inner layer of super soft flannel and black or red outer layer that looks like rayon with Corvette logos on each end. It weighs about 10 pounds in its duffel bag. It goes on easily and comes off likewise. It was expensive, but leaves me with no doubt that it's not abrasive and is of the highest quality.
Part # and cost please.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by jmk
Is it thick enough to prevent scratches if someone bumps into it or hits it with something? TIA
Old 06-05-2013, 02:56 PM
jmk
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The GM Part Number is 19158372

I paid $320-

I'd say that it will likely provide some "bump" protection, but how much probably has a lot to do with the size, shape, and weight of what's bumping into it. The two layers are about a quarter inch thick together. BTW, the outer layer is satin stretch and inner layer is fleece. Forgot to mention that it is designed to be placed on the hood and unrolled, rather than pulled down over the car, so it really doesn't move much when you're covering your car. It was the only one I found that had this design.

Last edited by jmk; 06-05-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Added last two sentences
Old 06-05-2013, 03:14 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmk
The GM Part Number is 19158372

I paid $320-

I'd say that it will likely provide some "bump" protection, but how much probably has a lot to do with the size, shape, and weight of what's bumping into it. The two layers are about a quarter inch thick together. BTW, the outer layer is satin stretch and inner layer is fleece. Forgot to mention that it is designed to be placed on the hood and unrolled, rather than pulled down over the car, so it really doesn't move much when you're covering your car. It was the only one I found that had this design.
A vender on this forum had a group buy and I got the same thing your talking about for around $100.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:19 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

California Car Cover Company - Plushweave Indoor Cover - custom fit to your car for $250. in gray. The BEST imho

Then top that off with a Disposable Universal Plastic Car Covers - 12' x 22' . Be careful to use these only on top of your car cover and in the garage only, never in the heat of the sun. You can get them direct for only a couple bucks each.

http://www.thecarcover.com/disposabl...tic-car-covers

Old 06-05-2013, 03:38 PM
yessss
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Take a look at this cover. I'm on my fifth one and have been pleased with them. I use the cover at home and on the road. I live in Newport News and have not had a salt issue with my Corvette. This is a quote fro the web site.

"They are made from a Soft 150 Denier woven polyester fabric that is coated with aluminized polyurethane and acrylic. With an excellent design, these covers fold up small enough to fit in your corvette's storage compartment when not in use. The light grey color does a great job of keeping the sun's rays off your vehicle, leading to a cooler interior."

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-1...and-sport.aspx
Old 06-05-2013, 03:54 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

don't know if it would help, but, would some kind of air filtration system help keep a high percentage of salt out of the garage? i would put something like that in my garage if i lived by the ocean. just make sure it filters inside air back to the outside. and try not going in and out of the garage too often.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

The GM covers fit very snug and have a soft interior.

Get notified of new replies

To Car Cover Questions?

Quick Reply: Car Cover Questions?