C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Washington DC GM dealer do you recommend?
Pohanka
5.56%
Ted Britt
0%
Lindsay
11.11%
Ourisman
5.56%
Jim McKay
5.56%
Jim Coleman
0%
Other
77.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Please help me find a good GM dealer in Washington DC

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 12:11 PM
daytraitors
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me find a good GM dealer in Washington DC

TLDR: I'm looking for recommendations for a good Corvette mechanic at a GM dealer around Washington DC to work on my z06.
--
Full story:

Here's the background. After spending $19,000 to swap my motor and oil cooler after a wreck at Koons Tyson's Corner, I've been having electrical issues. MIL was on, and I was getting p0330 (Bank 2 Knock Sensor) and c0561 (TCS). I would also get intermittent signals for the crankshaft position sensor. The car came back with several wiring harnesses not anchored, the air intake loose, and shards of electrical tape dangling in several places. The TPMS was programmed incorrectly. Basically, they did a sloppy job, and I could tell.

Koons refuses to admit that the codes have anything to do with their repair. Their service managers David Barrie and Bill Appell say that the fact that it comes up after a major engine repair is "coincidence." How many times have we heard that?

Anyway, I got tired of haggling with them, so I changed the bank 2 knock sensor and cleared the DTC codes. Codes came back. I told them all of this, and they were insulted that I had the nerve to do the work myself and told me to go elsewhere to solve this problem. Really? After spending all that money?

Anyway, I pointed out that this service is supposed to be under warranty and said they should pay. He finally agreed that if another GM dealer said it was an issue with the repair, that he would arrange to pay the other dealer. What do you guys think?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Criswell Chevy in Gaithersburg.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:13 PM
daytraitors
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
That's a tad further than I was initially expecting, but I can make the trip if you feel they're that good. What was your positive experience with them?
Old 05-22-2013, 01:18 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Man, those dudes speak corvette over there in Gaithersburg, they are one of the big three in sales, and are also fans. who better to help you? it isn't THAT far away, especially for the amount of coin you are looking at there.

on a side note, and you probably already know this, electronics like good, clean, tight connections to prevent communication errors. There is soo much that can effect you, it only makes sense ot get a second pinion on this.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:41 PM
daytraitors
Intermediate

Really? Wow, I wish I would have asked before I even agreed to let Koons touch the Z. That dealer has been nothing but a PITF'nA. They just don't know the Corvette and treat me like I'm a picky car owner who complains about a MIL going off after major engine repair.

Originally Posted by flange
Man, those dudes speak corvette over there in Gaithersburg, they are one of the big three in sales, and are also fans. who better to help you? it isn't THAT far away, especially for the amount of coin you are looking at there.

on a side note, and you probably already know this, electronics like good, clean, tight connections to prevent communication errors. There is soo much that can effect you, it only makes sense ot get a second pinion on this.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:55 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I haven't used their service, but did speak with them when I was looking to buy. their corvette sales guy hangs out here a lot and seems to be a very decent guy who is well liked by his customers.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by daytraitors
That's a tad further than I was initially expecting, but I can make the trip if you feel they're that good. What was your positive experience with them?
I drove 475 miles from my house in the middle of winter to trade my '09 G8 GT in and buy my new '10 GS from them,a deal too good to pass up!!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:38 PM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Councilman and former Mayor Marion Barry might still be connected.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:55 PM
daytraitors
Intermediate

Thanks for the valuable feedback. What's the tech's name?
I like that he's a vette freak just like the rest of us.

I haven't used their service, but did speak with them when I was looking to buy. their corvette sales guy hangs out here a lot and seems to be a very decent guy who is well liked by his customers.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Jim Tom
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Northern Virginia and I will drive to Gaithersburg MD to Criswell in a heartbeat.
Jim
Old 05-22-2013, 03:23 PM
c6tech
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I had my 07 there a few times no problems.Joe is the best corvette guy around DMV
Old 05-22-2013, 03:26 PM
1 slow 97
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette

You can be there in 25 minutes without traffic from the district. It took me three dealership trips in northern va to wise up and make the drive to Gaithersburg. I will never go anywhere else(well until I by my Lamborghini

Originally Posted by Jim Tom
I live in Northern Virginia and I will drive to Gaithersburg MD to Criswell in a heartbeat.
Jim
Lol, my name is Jim also and I would drive from Herndon past pohanka,past koons(worst dealer ever) to go to criswell, ask for Dina the vette service advisor and explain how bill apel treated you(he is an azzhat)
-and she will take good care of you trust all of us!
Old 05-22-2013, 03:30 PM
1 slow 97
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by c6tech
I had my 07 there a few times no problems.Joe is the best corvette guy around DMV
Joe malo is a great tech, but the dealership and everything else sucks(this coming from someone who bought two cars from them and works across the street and won't even take anything there for service). I remember when the c6 z06 came out and they were asking and getting 35k over msrp
Old 05-22-2013, 03:47 PM
daytraitors
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1 slow 97
:

Lol, my name is Jim also and I would drive from Herndon past pohanka,past koons(worst dealer ever) to go to criswell, ask for Dina the vette service advisor and explain how bill apel treated you(he is an azzhat)
-and she will take good care of you trust all of us!

Bill Appel is easily the worst service manager ever. I can't believe I went back to Koons after that, just because they're close. On a prior warranty experience I had with my right cat, he charged me a $125 fee to fix something covered under warranty!
Old 05-22-2013, 03:49 PM
daytraitors
Intermediate

You talking about Koons or Criswell?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:09 PM
retaf87
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Criswell is the best! Dina is a great service adviser and Marcus is the lead Vette tech. I have never had a bad experience with Criswell since I started going there in 08. Have bought 5 cars from them and best service I have ever experienced!
Old 05-22-2013, 05:28 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Yes I'll 4th or 5th Criswell. I have had very good luck with Joe/Bill at Koons as well, but as your issues with them, call Dina at Criswell, and don't worry about the distance. Plus, they'll have plenty of Corvettes to look at while you wait

Get notified of new replies

To Please help me find a good GM dealer in Washington DC

Old 05-22-2013, 05:29 PM
1 slow 97
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by daytraitors
You talking about Koons or Criswell?
Joe is the vette tech at koons, so I beleive he is talking koons.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:00 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I just asked a buddy who lives in Alexandria and he mentioned Lindsay. He bought his Ctsv there and has it serviced there and seems to like it.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

About four years ago after visiting Mount Vernon on a Saturday I noticed a problem concerning the charging rate on my then new vert. I was on vacation a long way from home. I stopped in at Ourisman's service department. The service manager handled the problem right in the service bay and got me moving in less than an hour without an appointment of any kind.

Quick Reply: Please help me find a good GM dealer in Washington DC