C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 as your daily driver and LS2 vs LS3- feedback

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:53 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by LAK3RS
I've been daily driving an 08 2LT Coupe since December, and have been enjoying every bit of it. I drive quite a bit for work, and am racking up the mileage.

I ended up paying $26k for mine with 2LT, VY Paint, F55, NPP, and Auto tranny w/45k miles - almost the exact options I was wanting leaving out the GU2 2.73 gears. The car also had quite a few small things done to it I initially intended on doing such as LG LT's, SLP LM1's, Halltech Intake, Custom Tune, Z06 Comp. Grey Wheels w/ INVO's, and even body color painted handles and rear spoiler. It was a no brainer.

I really lucked out with mine, and honestly feel that there are enough C6's on the market for you to truly dissect them all to find exactly what you need.

I was sold on the 2LT package, and noticed that quite a few Vette's with 3LT packages were a bit more expensive - and you're only getting HUD, Driver memory, Homelink, Power telescoping, and heated seats. Was that really worth paying an extra 3k+ for? No, considering I just wanted HUD and it's $600 installed in the aftermarket.

But, getting the LS3 over the LS2 was one thing I definitely wanted, and going with an 08 over 09-13's was soooo much cheaper, and there were still 05-07's priced around what I paid for mine.

Bottom line, get what you want and try to get as close as you can to doing it while staying in your price range. The C6 is a solid DD, and 08/09 are great years to purchase used. Stick with that LS3....
why is that? any significant changes?

Thanks to all who responded!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:55 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

I have had both C6 and GTO for D.D. I like the C6 better except for the GTO had much better seats and easier to get in and out of in tight parking. LS2 or LS3 both better than 90% of everything else on the road IMHO. I would take the 3LT over the LS3.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:05 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by simplegto
I have had both C6 and GTO for D.D. I like the C6 better except for the GTO had much better seats and easier to get in and out of in tight parking. LS2 or LS3 both better than 90% of everything else on the road IMHO. I would take the 3LT over the LS3.
My thoughts with a daily. If it was a weekend car, LS3 1LT seems to be the winner.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by simplegto

I also have a 06 GTO LS2 and 09 LS3 3LT w 2.73's and you're spot on.

OP if you can find a LS3 w/ 3LT you'll be happy. I had a tuned a 06 C6 LS2 and I can honestly say my 09 pulls harder throughout the powerband.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Good to hear your going to use the vette as a daily driver. I do and love it.

Good luck and snag the ls3 if you can....it's a cool ride.

The LS2 is great too. I have the 1LT. I added a DSV D shaped alcantara wheel and the HUD with andrew6. I added for chump change new leather soft points on the console and door panels.

I added the very cool mgw shifter and alcantara shift boot and shift ****....throw in an air raid filter and a COW booster and I call it a day with this Z51. I run hankook evo 12 tires where all four delivered cost 750 dollars. These tires rate right up there with Michelin ps2 or so car and driver says..

They handle nice and last 18k miles..I put new bilstien sports and slotted rotors and pads from xplosiveperformance and tire rack at 50k moles. At the same time I had the spark plugs swapped out.

Change the mobil one oil when the DIC says to which is around 7 or 8k miles and your food to go.

You won't find a less expensive 190 mph super car you can run everyday. Pulls one lateral cornering G and has great brakes. Not a fan of Hawk pads for. A daily driver though. Stock pads stopped much better in the rain..yawl pads blow in the rain.every time first application and no stopping ability...every dam time it's raining ....so it can make your heart stop unlike the stock z51 pads which just stop the car every time..

LS2 or LS3 it doesn't matter much although when I bought in Nov of 2007 I chose the slightly more expensive LS3 ...pick your color..pick your options and enjoy it everyday. Life's too short to save the car for the garage ..

Last edited by JerriVette; 05-22-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:20 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

I'm already looking for a low mileage 3LT LS3

Most seem to want $38k or more so maybe not. I'd just rather have a brand new 1LT for that price.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:35 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by village idiot
I'm already looking for a low mileage 3LT LS3

Most seem to want $38k or more so maybe not. I'd just rather have a brand new 1LT for that price.
I would recommend a 3LT over a 1LT as a daily driver. Compare the creature comforts then decide....
Old 05-21-2013, 11:42 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Purdue

I also have a 06 GTO LS2 and 09 LS3 3LT w 2.73's and you're spot on.

OP if you can find a LS3 w/ 3LT you'll be happy. I had a tuned a 06 C6 LS2 and I can honestly say my 09 pulls harder throughout the powerband.
An excellent choice
Old 05-21-2013, 11:43 PM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Dd

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
I think you will love LS2 or LS3.

Both are great.....I drive my LS2 60 miles a day round trip and wouldn't trade it for the world.
Have fun!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:49 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I have an '06 3LT for my DD rain or shine and absolutely love it. It's comfortable, quick, and of course looks great. Lots of stares and compliments and decent gas mileage too.

Just know that lots of cars from clapped out ricers to pickup trucks are going to want to challenge you on the roads. Most of the time I ignore 'em, sometimes I oblige 'em. It's all fun.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:57 PM
Nele22
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have a DD. It is an 07 (LS2) with 1LT. Love every stinking second of it!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:04 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

OP: Last time I looked it was a total of about 27lbs reduction. See botton link. You can also pm this member for more info about the rotors https://www.corvetteforum.com/member...tor-vette.html I have well over 80K miles on my set and they still look good.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/c6-tec...51-rotors.html
Old 05-22-2013, 01:35 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one regardless of what everyone says, but here goes anyway:

Single 29yr old male with no kids. Spent the past 8 years in college and the next 2 working for near nothing at experience builder jobs. Want something fun and don't give a damn if it isn't practical in terms of room and driving in bad weather (I'm a fairly experience driver on the track so bad weather doesn't scare me and work closes the 1 day it snows here in Dallas).
I'm the same age as you and also have no responsibilities (no kids or family just a g/f).

I think the car is a great choice. If you're looking to cross shop other cars I can tell you I glanced at the following before picking the Vette...BMW 335i, Mercedes C63 AMG, CTS-V, Mustang GT. I owned a previous F-Body and like the LSx motors and like V8s in general so that's why I went with the Vette. Plus it's something I always wanted.

I drive about 20-25k miles a year (lots of travel for work). Current car is great (LS2 GTO 6spd coilovers, etc) but climbing in miles and I just want to change it up a bit. Plus it only averages about 18mpg with 85% highway (I get 23 highway at best around 70-75).
I've already put over 3000 miles on my car. Most of my driving (30% highway) gets me 18-20mpg. Best I got 90% highway was 27mpg and that's the LS3 with 6spd.

The Questions:

So now I'm at a super low mileage C6 M6 (currently an 07 3LT w/ 15k miles for $28k or an 08 1LT w/ 10k miles for $31-32k).
The LS2 crowd will preach about the motor not being all that different but beyond that the transmission in the LS3 cars is upgraded and a better unit. For me it was a no brainer going LS3.

What are your thoughts on daily driving the c6 as an only car for 25k/yr? I don't care about comfort (I'm used to riding a sport bike!) but I do care about maintenance, robustness, upkeep costs, etc.
I ditched my daily driver for this car (2007 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro). That car while not performance has lots of luxury features in it and great for road trips so most would look at going Corvette being a downgrade. This car is comfortable on road trips. It rides great as a daily driver. I put on about 18,000/yr typically. Maintenance the only big issue I'm aware of are the cost of tires and how quickly the car eats them up. The rest of the maintenance is no different than your GTO.

Also, what are your thoughts about LS2 vs LS3. I couldn't possibly care less about the 36hp. In fact, I'd rather spend the $5k price difference on Z06 brakes and suspension and weight reduction than the power, but is the engine any more or less reliable/fickle? Anything better on the 08's that I want for a daily? Similar mpg I assume?
Go drive the two and make a judgement call. There's more to the 2008+ cars than the LS3 that makes them a better car than the LS2.

Just off the top of my head like I said the transmission upgrade and no Bluetooth audio until 2009+ were deal breakers right off the top. 2010+ also has launch control

You're main problem is going to be finding a good deal since it's prime driving season right now. I spent upper 30s for my '10 3LT with under 20,000 miles on it.

Hope this all helps good luck and welcome to the forums.

EDIT: I read the rest of this thread. I would also check out 3LT cars. HUD is fantastic. Personally, if the car is a daily why go no frills 1LT. You paid enough already for a nice car, option it out. The original owner ate the biggest expense in doing so. Mine came 3LT, navigation, stitching to the seats, personal audio link, NNP exhaust etc. You'll have to be patient to find one like this with a manual transmission but it's worth the wait. Good luck!!!

Last edited by Nosferatu; 05-22-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:05 AM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I daily drive my full B/O LS3. Michelin Pilot SS, Koni FSD Suspension...yum yum.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:29 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 08 3LT z51 A6 and if you get a chuck cow tune you will love the car.
I 1/4 mile my car and DD so I can say it is the greatest.My buddy has an 07 and he turns 13's and i turn low 12's and he has 400 hp and I have 436 go figure,huge diff in the racing end and the interior on mine is much nicer I only paid 29k for mine just a mth ago 39k on the wheels .

Last edited by REDC4CORVETTE; 05-22-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:46 AM
OKJefe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor
Default Best of Luck on your search

I have an '06 Coupe with the LS2 in an automatic and the Z51 option. I notice that my gas mileage differs dramaticly in the quality of fuel. Here in Tulsa QuikTrip only carries 91 octane as their premium fuel. Where as in Denton, TX where I travel to frequently QT carries 93 octane as their premium fuel. Having made several trips I've found my mileage improves with the high octane fuel. Tulsa to Denton on 91 last weekend I averaged 27.7 mpg with an average speed of 71 mph. Coming home Denton to Tulsa after filling up with the 93 octane I averaged 30.1 mpg with an average speed of 72.1 mph. Both distances were right at 286 miles and having made this trip about every other month since January I'm a believer that this car is a great road trip car with spectacular fuel economy.

(If you can keep your foot out of it.)

I could care less about the extra hp that the LS3 offers and I specificly bought the car to be what it is for me. A great sporty car around home and better than reasonable on the highway for my frequent road trips.

Best of Luck. Buy exactly what you want is the best suggestion I can give you. I waited for the perfectly optioned car that meet every option want and one without those I didn't want. (IE: All options minus the magnetic ride control and the glass top) I couldn't be happier with my ideal car and it was well worth the wait to get that exact car at a reasonable price with low mileage.

Just my two cents.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:09 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

I had an 05 GTO as a DD for 5 years, traded it on a 09 G8 GT then 8 months later traded it on my C6.

Picked up an 08 3LT with Nav, auto, GU2 (2.73 rear gears) with 28k miles for 31k out the door last August. Only thing I wish it had was NPP.

I would see if you can find a 3LT LS3, the ls3 is one of if not the best Gen IV motors made, they are out there at good prices... I had to drive 350 miles each way to get mine.

I am 28 and it is my spring-fall daily driver. Adding Z51 brakes and the pfadt Johnny oconnell signature series shocks and sways soon.

I love this car as a DD. sometimes I miss my G8 but then once I drive the C6 again it goes away.

Last edited by SK360; 05-22-2013 at 07:11 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 as your daily driver and LS2 vs LS3- feedback

Old 05-22-2013, 07:16 AM
richietables
Racer

I have no personal experience with the LS2 at all---

That said, if the 30 hp doesn't mean anything to you, find a car with the very options you want in your price range and go for it! Newer is better, yes, but a well cared for Corvette (and a great many of them are...) can go a very long way as stated above. Tires are pricey so do your homework about the ones that last the longest. I have two kids in elementary school and I live in Cleveland so mine is not going to be my DD, but I'll drive it when I can. Not afraid of wearing it out...

If you're 29 and drive 25K a year, then you'll move on from this car in 6 years at 35 with 150K+ and have a grin that won't come off for years. Then you decide what's right for your next ride.

My 2 cents.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 AM
corvettelover25
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in the same boat when I purchased mine, 22 and single and 5k more for LS3 at the time.... I purchased a 3LT LS2 and I'm completely happy with my decision. Creature comforts, plenty of power, cornering, turns plenty of heads, etc.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:18 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

I think I could be completely happy with a 1LT car and absolutely fall in love with it. All the basics are there, and even some luxuries.

With that said, I am very happy I bought a 3LT car. I have enjoyed the bells and whistles way more than I anticipated. Why skimp on a car like a Corvette, when you can have the looks, the performance, AND all of the fancy stuff on a 3LT? That is how I see it.

Quick Reply: C6 as your daily driver and LS2 vs LS3- feedback