C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMPP News

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:52 AM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Wanna bet?

Originally Posted by B y r o n
I'm more curious about what is driving this change?
Wanna bet that Dennis probably has the highest number of sales of GMPP among Chevy dealers?
Would you also like to bet there are probably numerous Chevy dealers trying to sell GMPPs to their customers only to find out that there is a place in Montana that will sell GMPP on any GM vehicle for a significant discount?
My money says there are dealers bashing Dennis with Corporate and we all know how much xxlls corporate lawyers have.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:31 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jaki30
Wanna bet that Dennis probably has the highest number of sales of GMPP among Chevy dealers?
Would you also like to bet there are probably numerous Chevy dealers trying to sell GMPPs to their customers only to find out that there is a place in Montana that will sell GMPP on any GM vehicle for a significant discount?
My money says there are dealers bashing Dennis with Corporate and we all know how much xxlls corporate lawyers have.
And some other dealer squealed no doubt in my mind. It has that smell to it for sure.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:52 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

I love internet speculation and conspiracy theories.

The bottom line on many of these restrictions are due to how a state views the extended warranty business in their respective state. For example, in Ca. an 'extended warranty' is sold as a 'Mechanical Breakdown INSURANCE' policy and as such has to be adjudicated as an insurance policy rather than a service product. Florida has recently followed this and requires the product to be sold as an insurance product and further requiring the administration of the policy be handled by licensed adjuster or 'PCA'.

The contracts are reviewed by each state and has to approved by each state. Some states require different things and don't allow for 'State Disclosures'. A contract that has 'State Disclosures' is a contract that meets most states and in the back will be any addendums for each individual state which could be anything from the cost of rental per day to changes to coverage's. Most states now require their own state specific contract, no 'disclosures'.

Further, most states regulate the contracts through their respective insurance regulatory department and regularly review terms and conditions as well as complaints and the issuing company has to respond to these. In the State of Florida, insurance regulators review closed claims once a year for any irregularities, ranging from why a contract holders claim was denied, to goodwill claims and to rental. These inspections last a week. Any questions have to be responded to in writing before the inspectors leave.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:43 AM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

" I love internet speculation and conspiracy theories."
I would almost buy this explanation except for the part that says no one else can sell the policy. Even with a state specific clause, any licensed GM dealer in that state would be able to sell the Mechanical Insurance.
Now, if that is true, then ANY licensed GM dealer should be able to sell the same policy with that particular states addendum on it.

If this were true, how can any insurance company sell policies over the internet w/o a broker/agent? I have USAA and everything is done on-line.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:47 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by jaki30
" I love internet speculation and conspiracy theories."
I would almost buy this explanation except for the part that says no one else can sell the policy. Even with a state specific clause, any licensed GM dealer in that state would be able to sell the Mechanical Insurance.
Now, if that is true, then ANY licensed GM dealer should be able to sell the same policy with that particular states addendum on it.

If this were true, how can any insurance company sell policies over the internet w/o a broker/agent? I have USAA and everything is done on-line.
GMPP is their own deal, what they do is up to them. If they decide to sell or not sell is their decision. You can still buy a GMPP in Florida, but it has conditions set for it. It's not rocket science.

You don't have to believe me, but, your USAA policy is sold online when you financed through USAA. It is administered by a company called Assurant located in St. Petersburg Fl. There are 4 guys dedicated to handling those claims and answer the phone USAA. How do you think I know this?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:26 PM
vette4lyn
Drifting

Received 664 Likes on 522 Posts

Contact Dennis and get a quote......depending on what state you live in. IF he can sell the GMPP to you, then you get the new disclaimer notification /release paperwork to sign and you are good to go. We are extending our GMPP that we originally bought from Dennis on our new '08 back in mid 2008, and are saving a bundle compared to all of the other quotes we have received.

So, no matter where you live, call Dennis. The worst he can say is "no can do" (a decision out of his hands). Most likely, most of you will be in the chips and can sleep well at night, just like us.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by CeYaBye
Well as of now not only are all dealers done selling GMPP's in Florida but now California and Maryland. GMPP is to be sold by a dealer licensed in the State of California only and GMPP must be incidental to the sale or lease of the vehicle. In other words you must buy the GMPP on day of purchase of your vehicle or you will be unable to get one. Internet sales of GMPP to California customers are not allowed.

This is the exact email I just got from GMPP so to my thousands of great friends and customers of GMPP purchases over the years in California we will still be friends but no longer customers.

For all of you wanting GMPP quotes in other states from this point forward I will need the VIN, Exact Miles and state you are in. There are state specific requirements that I need to send to you and then you have to sign a letter and send back to me for my file stating you understand these requirements.

dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com

406-628-4618, Ext 105
If you buy a GMPP at the time of the purchase then you would have the factory warranty & the GMPP running at the same time,Am i right?
Old 11-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
If you buy a GMPP at the time of the purchase then you would have the factory warranty & the GMPP running at the same time,Am i right?
That is correct. So buying a short term GMPP on a new car would be a waste of money.

The break points for price/available coverage; come at 12 months or 12k miles, 24 or 24, and then at 36 or 36 you lose the ability to buy GMPP except on a dealer CPO car.

Most people wait until they are getting close to 3 years or 36k miles, whichever comes first, and buy a GMPP at that point.

However; at each of the break points the duration of coverage you can buy goes down and the price goes up. Since we planned to keep our car a long time and drive it a lot, the best deal for us was to buy at 11,900 miles/8 months. Buying later would have cost us a lot more money for only a small increase in coverage. That was with $0 deductible on a 2009, bought the GMPP in early 2010.

As others have mentioned, if you send your VIN and miles to Dennis, he will send you an email will all the combinations of purchase time/deductible/months/miles. Look it over carefully and decide what's best for YOU.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

I got my GMPP at 35000 miles...48/48...Great price..

Quick Reply: GMPP News