C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dreaded oil stink after an oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:13 AM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Default The dreaded oil stink after an oil change

yep, I have gotten this horrible stink after my last oil change on Friday, as long as you are moving its ok, if you slow down or come to a stop the smell is sickening. I checked for leaks, none found, I checked for spillage , none found. I checked for overfilling..none. It seems that there is a problem with the sealant they use on the rear main seal which reacts with fresh oil sometimes. They say as the oil weakens, ie you put miles on your car it lessens the smell of the burnt oil.. With all the complaints of this problem, do you not think they would put out a recall or something? Some of the dealer service departments have no clue about this problem. I think Chevy really messed up on this one. As you can well imagine, I am not a happy owner right now, I love the car but this is totally unacceptable and as useless as it will be I am going to make some calls and emails to GM and see where that gets me...hell maybe my states consumer protection act can help ...who knows...
Old 05-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

you never used to get the smell previously after an oil change?

Originally Posted by MidYearRoadster
yep, I have gotten this horrible stink after my last oil change on Friday, as long as you are moving its ok, if you slow down or come to a stop the smell is sickening. I checked for leaks, none found, I checked for spillage , none found. I checked for overfilling..none. It seems that there is a problem with the sealant they use on the rear main seal which reacts with fresh oil sometimes. They say as the oil weakens, ie you put miles on your car it lessens the smell of the burnt oil.. With all the complaints of this problem, do you not think they would put out a recall or something? Some of the dealer service departments have no clue about this problem. I think Chevy really messed up on this one. As you can well imagine, I am not a happy owner right now, I love the car but this is totally unacceptable and as useless as it will be I am going to make some calls and emails to GM and see where that gets me...hell maybe my states consumer protection act can help ...who knows...
Old 05-20-2013, 09:56 AM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Correct before the oil change I never got any odor coming in the car either while driving or stopped...now, especially when at idle or stopped in traffic the odor is sickening. Its a known problem that they know about at Chevrolet. A lot of dealers do not know about it as they are trying to keep it on the low down, but it happening more and more. Its caused by the sealant used with the rear main bearing seal that reacts to the oil sometimes...owners say it will dissapate in time but it might take over 2000 miles of driving to make it go away...now that is just crazy.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup Yup I have it also. Its much better then it was and doesnt come back as strong as it did but I smell it. I just keep mentioning it to the dealer and that way it is on record.
Dont know what else to say It doesnt bother me enough to yell and scream about it and be without the car for extended periods , also taking it in all the time gets tiering, maybe this is what they hope.
as soon as im home more I willstart bugging them again. I hate driving to the dealer in the rain ,they keep the car all day I get it back and they say we found nothing. I get to wash the car and didnt even get to drive it sheesh
Old 05-20-2013, 10:47 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

if only certain cars do it they should replace your car with one of your choice. i have a 013 and just changed the oil a few weeks back, i smell nothing. if the smell is as bad as people are claiming it is, then chevy by all rights is obligated to do something about the problem. no one in their right mind should put up with a problem as bad as that after spending thousands of dollars on a car. all the people with that problem should take the car back to the dealer and tell them to keep the car until the problem has been resolved. thats BS.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 197 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

2012 GS here. Just had it's second oil change. No odor. Mine is an A6. Not sure if that matters.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by billyboy47
i have a 013 and just changed the oil a few weeks back, i smell nothing.
Good to hear this as I soon will be changing oil for the first time in my 13 Grand Sport (Engine built at PBC in Wixom Mi) if that means anything.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:33 AM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MidYearRoadster
Correct before the oil change I never got any odor coming in the car either while driving or stopped...now, especially when at idle or stopped in traffic the odor is sickening. Its a known problem that they know about at Chevrolet. A lot of dealers do not know about it as they are trying to keep it on the low down, but it happening more and more. Its caused by the sealant used with the rear main bearing seal that reacts to the oil sometimes...owners say it will dissapate in time but it might take over 2000 miles of driving to make it go away...now that is just crazy.
Yup me too had the oil changed at 700 miles now I have 800 miles on the clock stopped to talk to a friend in the street with the engine running and every 30 seconds I would get this horrible oil scent in the cabin it started to make me sick. However my 2008 LS3 did the very same thing you would think in 5 years GM could have done something to fix this issue.

Last edited by ArcticC7; 05-20-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I followed the other thread on this for a long time. I have a M6 GS 2012 so a Wixom plant motor also built by Rick Dadd. and yes your right it shouldnt do it. OK Ill get back at getting it fixed as soon as I am home more ( I travel for work and is hard to get it in ,one of the reasons I live with it)
Old 05-20-2013, 11:39 AM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

We just had the oil changed on our '11 GS last Friday and have none of that oil smell. Ours is an automatic, and I understand that the automatics are prone to this problem, not the six-speeds. Also, heard that it's the 2011 and 2012 Grand Sports that are affected.

Elaine
Old 05-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by GS Diva
We just had the oil changed on our '11 GS last Friday and have none of that oil smell. Ours is an automatic, and I understand that the automatics are prone to this problem, not the six-speeds. Also, heard that it's the 2011 and 2012 Grand Sports that are affected.

Elaine
mine is an 07 coupe with the A6 - I am the original owner and have never had the smell
Old 05-20-2013, 12:55 PM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
mine is an 07 coupe with the A6 - I am the original owner and have never had the smell
I have heard that it is only the Grand Sports - 2011 and 2012.

Elaine
Old 05-20-2013, 01:23 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The cause is with the process not the car itself. The tech (if you dare call the lube guy a tech) who spills or splashes a bit and then may not even bother wiping it clean is the problem. It likely happens more with the dry sump cars, due to the methods used and the inexperience factor.

I do my own maintenance and take my time to be accurate and avoid any spills. Nine oil changes so far on my C6 with never a hint of oil smell.

The rear main bearing seal reacting with fresh oil story is a joke that only people who know nothing about cars would believe. Anything you smell is carried in the air you breathe. If the only escape to atmosphere of the oil and the air contained in the engine is first routed through the engine and burned along with the gas, it could only exit the tailpipe and you'd never smell it. Therefore, what you smell is oil that is not IN the engine. i.e. it's been spilled ON the engine.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:58 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I would bet whoever changed the oil got some on the cat. Very easy to do, and even a drop or too will burn off to give a nice aroma....
Old 05-20-2013, 02:19 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by carpe dm
I would bet whoever changed the oil got some on the cat. Very easy to do, and even a drop or too will burn off to give a nice aroma....
If was oil dripping on a hot surface it would burn off quickly. The oil smell people have been talking about lasts for weeks or months. In my case it lasted about six weeks and faded gradually during mostly city driving, but then resurfaced briefly after a 35-mile trip on the highway to the dealer last week. The tech, who is highly touted in the local Corvette community, said he thinks it is oil falling on the cat, and that they've had some complaints about it. He hadn't heard of the rear-seal idea, but agreed it would burn off quickly if it made contact with a hot exhaust component. Beyond that he didn't know, and apparently GM hasn't sent them any info about it since the service writer didn't have a clue either. Both thought the rear-seal idea was improbable.

Several weeks ago when I was smelling it at every stop after the engine was at operating temperature I stopped the car and sniffed around. I didn't make a show of it, as sniffing around a car would undoubtedly look weird. Indeed, I find this entire issue weird. I couldn't smell it at the rear of the car (exhaust) or in the engine compartment, but did inside the car when the vent was not set to recirculate. It must be getting in at the vent intake, but if it's in that area why can't I smell it under the hood?

Anyway, I haven't noticed it since that trip, so maybe it's gone for this oil change. BTW, I used the GM Dexos blend for this change (free from the dealer), so we can't pin it on Mobil 1, which I'll be switching to for the next oil change.

Originally Posted by GS Diva
I have heard that it is only the Grand Sports - 2011 and 2012.
Mine's a base coupe (wet sump) and I have it.

Last edited by iclick; 05-20-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:30 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

5 oil changes on my 12 and 13 and never any smell.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:32 PM
gbranham
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

I get 'the smell', too. 2012 GS M6. I've changed the oil three times, and all three times, I get 'the smell'. I am absolutely, positively sure there's no spilled oil, no burning oil on the cats (although that's what it smells like), etc...this has been discussed on the forum several times, and it's a pervasive issue. GM, please step up for the customers of your Halo Car.

Greg

Get notified of new replies

To The dreaded oil stink after an oil change

Old 05-20-2013, 02:52 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by gbranham
I get 'the smell', too. 2012 GS M6. I've changed the oil three times, and all three times, I get 'the smell'. I am absolutely, positively sure there's no spilled oil, no burning oil on the cats (although that's what it smells like), etc...this has been discussed on the forum several times, and it's a pervasive issue. GM, please step up for the customers of your Halo Car.

Greg
It is the rear main seal out-gassing when the assembly lube come in contact with the new oil. I had a good friend ask a GM person at the bash this year and he confirmed it.....Have your service adviser check and they will find out, it's a known problem......
Old 05-20-2013, 04:17 PM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gbranham

Greg
I can open the engine compartment and I dont smell it. It comes through the dash vents.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:52 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
It is the rear main seal out-gassing when the assembly lube come in contact with the new oil. I had a good friend ask a GM person at the bash this year and he confirmed it.....Have your service adviser check and they will find out, it's a known problem......
I think your good friend is my good friend as well..lol...

Quick Reply: The dreaded oil stink after an oil change